Barrios - Ophee & Stover Begining 1996
William Jennings
2004-01-12 03:12:54 UTC
From: Matanya Ophee (***@iwaynet.net)
Subject: Re: Angel Barrios Sheet Music ?
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: 1996/08/19
The main issue for me, is
not so much the quality of the music, of either Barrios, but rather
the constant barrage of hype regarding Mangore.
What do you mean, Matanya?
Allright, but I'll have to reiterate several things I already said
here, and elswhere, on several occasions. Barrios' music (Augustin) is
not any better or worse than a lot of other music written by
South-American and European composers during the first decades of this
century. As a matter of fact, I used to play it myself. I well
remember the occasion (1960-61) when I used it in restaurant gigs in
Chicago. That is quite few years before it became so popular. There
was not much of it available then. Mostly the walses published by
Ricordi Americana. Works great, particularly when accompanied by the
slurping of spaghetti in this one Italian restaurant...

And then came one Richard Stover, invariably also known as Dick, Rico,
el Gringo or whatever, and started his one man campaign in elevating
the stature of Mangore into a God-like figure. He has been writing
this one article for well over 25 years now, and published, with few
changes here and there, in Guitar and Lute magazine (Honolulu),
Soundboard, Chelys, Classical Guitar, Guitar Review not to mention his
Six Silver Moonbeams book. (I probably missed other variants of it
published elsewhere...)

As far as I can tell from reading all these variants of this one
article, is that the main argument consists of the notion that
Mangore's music is somehow endowed with unique features that are not
related in anyway to the European late 19th century tradition, but to
an esoteric component described by Stover in some arcane and
unproveable mystic elements. I am sure there are somethings that are
indeed unique to this music, as there must be some elements to the
music of _any_ composer. However, in my view this music is firmly in
the tradition of late 19th century _European_ romanticism, and as
such, no different than the music of, let's say, Julian Arcas, Tomas
Damas, Antonio Cano, Juan Bosch, Manjon, Calatayud, Carlos Garcia
Tolsa, Luigi Mozzani, Julio Sagreras, Adolfo Luna, Hector Ayala,
Domingo Prat, Miguel Llobet, Julio Martinez Oyanguren, Jorge Crespo,
and a score of other composers of greater or lesser renown.

The main difference in the public acceptance of this music, is the
amount of promotional hype given to it by Stover, the gullibility
demonsrated by many in swallowing this hype uncritically, and the fact
that it was widely performed and recorded by John Williams, David
Russel and a few other performers. That fact in itself only proves
that the music is a good vehicle for these guys in the conduct of
their respective careers. It does not make it "good" music. Of course,
if you enjoy listening and playing Mangore, it is not for me to tell
you that you are wrong. Question of personal taste. Where I draw the
line, is when I am told that this is something unique and special. As
an observer of the musical scene, I cannot accept this view. You may
successfully program the Catedral and the Limosna in the same program
with the Britten Nocturnal, Carter's Changes, or Takemitsu's Folios,
and all the power to you if you can sell this program to the public.
But please do not invite me to the watch the spectacle.

I could also launch into a detailed comparison of some of Mangore's
works with other well-known pieces of guitar music, but then I shall
appear as accusing him of plagiarism. Is there a reason why La
Catedral reeks of elements found in Regondi's Etude No. 6? Probably
Mangore had never seen this piece. To my knowledge, _no one_ had seen
it until I found it in 1987. But there is no question in my mind that
the same late 19th century European romanticism which influenced
Regondi, also worked in a similar fashion on Mangore. He, like many of
his South-American contemporaries, did not work in a musical vacuum.

'Nuff said?

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphée, Inc.,

And:

Search Result 12
From: Matanya Ophee (***@orphee.com)
Subject: Re: more Mo
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: 2001-08-05 09:31:49 PST
Mr. Ophee,
This is not true. I have read your messages at Mr. Jennings home. You
are
misrepresenting your e-mails about the Barrios works.
Not at all. I never doubted that some of them are indeed autographs,
and some of them are not. For me, as a commercial publisher with a
specific publishing agenda, they are worthless. I am simply making a
straight commercial judgement about the viability of publishing a
facsimile of these manuscripts. In my judgement, such a project is
doomed to failure because of the availability of several excellent
editions of Barrios' music, particularly the one by Chris Dumigan
where the music was lifted off the Barrios recordings. As Klaus
already pointed out, those manuscripts were full of basic musical
errors which could not be left in by any conscientious editor. Doc has
been faxing these manuscripts to many different publishers and editors
all over the world, and quite obviously, no one, so far, has taken a
bite. Perhaps some one like Mel Bay might. A good marketing ploy is
more important here than what's actually in the book. We have seen
this on several occasions before.

These manuscripts must be a curiosity of some interest to Barrios
aficionados, a rare breed these days. The Barrios thing has been over
for quite sometime, to judge by the content of concert programming.
Some people still play it, some people still record it, but on the
whole, Rico Stover would better look for another topic. This one has
been exhausted. Just check out my reviews of the three guitar festival
I attended last year and see how much Barrios was played. (I also
attended the GFA festival in San Antonio, but did not attend all the
concerts) I'll let you know, once again, when I come back from _this_
summer's festivals.
I have also visited Mr.
Jennings in his home and studio at Camp Useless. I have watched Mr.
Jennings play
for hours. Mr. Jennings has the best right hand I have ever seen or
heard in person.

That's good news, and the first eye witness report that assures us
that yes, there is actually someone named Doc Jennings, and yes, he
does play the guitar. As for your judgement about his right hand:

can you please tell us something about yourself? who are you and what
are _your_ qualifications to express judgements on any one's right
hand?

Obviously, if this is the best right hand you have ever seen or heard
in person, you must have heard others that, in your expressed
judgement, are not as good as Doc's. Who?

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,

And:

Search Result 16
From: Matanya Ophee (***@orphee.com)
Subject: Re: First cg-pub Administrative Post October 3, 2000
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: 2001-08-06 21:29:15 PST
In another thread on this subject you said I was a blatant liar, I
could
not possibly have all these messages. Now that you see I have every
one
of them you say " big deal."
Which was my way of fooling you into revealing what exactly you have.
Like you said: line, hook and sinker. Stupidity is one of the major
components in the make-up of a schmegege. Thank you for confirming
this.
Yep, it's no big deal, just a small part of what I have put together
for a
small time capsule for the future.
A noble thought, since most of it is material I have written and into
which I put a great deal of thought. I appreciate the effort you put
into preserving me legacy.
The Barrios compositions count for a great deal
If it makes you happy to think so, go ahead. As far as I am concerned,
and the market seems to support my hunch, this is all water under the
Rico Stover bridge. Banal silly compositions by an incompetent
musician who couldn't write original music to save his soul. Segovia
was right to dismiss him as a freak show.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.orphee.com
Edward Bridge
2004-01-12 04:56:47 UTC
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: 1996/08/19
So what was the point, I don't get it and I read it twice ,I'm sorry for
being slow ... . Maybe I don't understand fully what you have, is it
manuscripts that Barrios signed?

Good night . looking forward to reading this in the Am

Ed Bridge
www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com
William Jennings
2004-01-12 05:12:18 UTC
Richard Stover will understand.

Che'
Post by Edward Bridge
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
GuitarsWeB
2004-01-12 13:51:02 UTC
Post by William Jennings
The main difference in the public acceptance of this music, is the
amount of promotional hype given to it by Stover, the gullibility
demonsrated by many in swallowing this hype uncritically, and the fact
that it was widely performed and recorded by John Williams, David
Russel and a few other performers.
Actually, I love the music. But, MO is correc,t in what he says. Richard Stover
does an excellent job of selling this fact. Remember, " Perception Is Reality."
Paul McGuffin
No1z fool
2004-01-12 14:24:17 UTC
any guy who takes his guitar on a 3 month road trip and is gone 20+ years
scores big in my book!

-Federico
William Jennings
2004-01-12 16:00:28 UTC
Post by No1z fool
any guy who takes his guitar on a 3 month road trip and is gone 20+ years
scores big in my book!
-Federico
Absolutely! Maybe, just perhaps what is needed is more to the bone
guitar bums and less home bound teachers and part-time artist. There is
something missing in the guitar world these days.... we all know it.
Few people show up for good concerts even with top players. What, the
GFA was a couple hundred... what's that?

Che'
GuitarsWeB
2004-01-12 22:53:54 UTC
Post by William Jennings
Absolutely! Maybe, just perhaps what is needed is more to the bone
guitar bums and less home bound teachers and part-time artist.
Oh! Many of us agree! What's a part-time artist? I guess I'm one. Run trains by
day and night, play guitar on weekends.I actually believe (opinion) that we
need many more part-timers, more players to come out of the (guitar) closet. We
need less "Academa Types," more "Johny Apple Seeds" for our instrument and the
"Music" that can be played on it. I think many miss MO's point. Richard Stover
has done a marvelous job on Barrios and his works. But, was he the "Second
Coming?" or for that matter, the "First?" You have to say, Richard is to
Barrios, what the Apostle Paul was to the New Testament. do you get my point
and analogy here?
Paul McGuffin
William Jennings
2004-01-13 00:44:25 UTC
Post by GuitarsWeB
Post by William Jennings
Absolutely! Maybe, just perhaps what is needed is more to the bone
guitar bums and less home bound teachers and part-time artist.
Oh! Many of us agree! What's a part-time artist? I guess I'm one. Run trains by
day and night, play guitar on weekends.I actually believe (opinion) that we
need many more part-timers, more players to come out of the (guitar) closet. We
need less "Academa Types," more "Johny Apple Seeds" for our instrument and the
"Music" that can be played on it. I think many miss MO's point. Richard Stover
has done a marvelous job on Barrios and his works. But, was he the "Second
Coming?" or for that matter, the "First?" You have to say, Richard is to
Barrios, what the Apostle Paul was to the New Testament. do you get my point
and analogy here?
Paul McGuffin
Sounds like what passes for wisdom in the Coyote Grill.

Che'
GuitarsWeB
2004-01-13 01:59:46 UTC
Post by William Jennings
Sounds like what passes for wisdom in the Coyote Grill.
Che'
You're definitely an insider! Who would think the Coyote Grill would be fine
dining?Well, they do have candles on each table
Paul McGuffin
William Jennings
2004-01-13 02:11:04 UTC
Post by GuitarsWeB
Post by William Jennings
Sounds like what passes for wisdom in the Coyote Grill.
Che'
You're definitely an insider! Who would think the Coyote Grill would be fine
dining?
Well, they do have candles on each table<
The burning sensation means it's working.

Che'
GuitarsWeB
2004-01-13 03:32:55 UTC
Post by William Jennings
The burning sensation means it's working.
Che'
You should be writing for the "Letterman Show." Rib would even agree. As a
matter of fact........where's he been?
Paul McGuffin
William Jennings
2004-01-13 03:33:12 UTC
Post by GuitarsWeB
Post by William Jennings
The burning sensation means it's working.
Che'
You should be writing for the "Letterman Show." Rib would even agree. As a
matter of fact........where's he been?
Try the Tack Room, it's good, definitely inside w/ chairs and tables.
They also have handicap parking spaces for loco motives.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that and my girlfriend is damned near
unconsciousnes choking on her Chinese Sichuan soup and Guangdong
dumplings she laughing so hard... how insensitive!)

Che' Sin Choo Choo
P.S. I ain't taking no part time writers job on Letterman!!!!!!!! Or
Spitting Apple Seeds on people!!!!!
Jacques Moran
2004-01-14 05:42:14 UTC
What's a "to the bone guitar bum"?
William Jennings
2004-01-14 12:37:06 UTC
Post by Jacques Moran
Post by William Jennings
Maybe, just perhaps what is needed is more to the bone
guitar bums and less home bound teachers and part-time artist.
What's a "to the bone guitar bum"?
A Vanishing Speices?

Che'
Richard F. Sayage
2004-01-14 13:48:06 UTC
Post by William Jennings
Post by Jacques Moran
Post by William Jennings
Maybe, just perhaps what is needed is more to the bone
guitar bums and less home bound teachers and part-time artist.
What's a "to the bone guitar bum"?
A Vanishing Speices?
Che'
Amen...
...on the road agin...

actually, you can find a handful roaming around the city here and
abouts....some real good players too. I swears...I seen
'em... at least when it's warmer. And it ain't nuthin' like warmer around
here, believe you me.

Rich
William Jennings
2004-01-14 14:30:57 UTC
"Richard F. Sayage" <***@ZEROSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Post by William Jennings
A Vanishing Speices?
Che'
Amen...
...on the road agin...
actually, you can find a handful roaming around the city here and
abouts....some real good players too. I swears...I seen
'em... at least when it's warmer. And it ain't nuthin' like warmer around
here, believe you me.
Rich
They seem to migrate like birds. The have no roots and lives are often
difficult. Maybe thats why old Barrios made alms for these spiritual
orphans.

Che'

Robert Crim
2004-01-14 14:25:19 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:42:14 GMT, Jacques Moran
Post by Jacques Moran
Post by William Jennings
Maybe, just perhaps what is needed is more to the bone
guitar bums and less home bound teachers and part-time artist.
What's a "to the bone guitar bum"?
Skinny "to the bone" from lack of food?

R.
William Jennings
2004-01-12 15:53:18 UTC
Post by GuitarsWeB
Post by William Jennings
The main difference in the public acceptance of this music, is the
amount of promotional hype given to it by Stover, the gullibility
demonsrated by many in swallowing this hype uncritically, and the fact
that it was widely performed and recorded by John Williams, David
Russel and a few other performers.
Actually, I love the music. But, MO is correc,t in what he says. Richard Stover
does an excellent job of selling this fact. Remember, " Perception Is Reality."
Paul McGuffin
And what is our stock and trade if not momentary distractions, illusions
and the evocation of something other than the often hard edge of
reality. We are dream weavers of the first order.... if not, exactly
what do we have to offer.

Che'
Matanya Ophee
2004-01-12 20:59:11 UTC
Post by GuitarsWeB
Post by William Jennings
The main difference in the public acceptance of this music, is the
amount of promotional hype given to it by Stover, the gullibility
demonsrated by many in swallowing this hype uncritically, and the fact
that it was widely performed and recorded by John Williams, David
Russel and a few other performers.
Actually, I love the music. But, MO is correc,t in what he says. Richard Stover
does an excellent job of selling this fact. Remember, " Perception Is Reality."
let's not forget that I said this 7 years ago. Not today. Since then I
profusely apologized in this NG for everything bad and unsavory I ever
said about Barrios. It took a performance on the level of Alexander
Sergei Ramirez to make me change my mind. Did I ever say bad things
about Barrios? indeed I did. Guilty as charged. But to throw this back
in my face today is not doing the memory of Barrios any good. And
besides, my good relationship with Rico and Rebecca go far back into
pre-history, and will withstand the test of time, regardless of any
differences of opinion we may have had in the past.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.orphee.com
http://www.orphee.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
http://www.savageclassical.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
David Schramm
2004-01-13 00:41:21 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
It took a performance on the level of Alexander
Sergei Ramirez to make me change my mind. <<
I remember you posting some very positive things about this performance.
You're vindicated in my book.
--
David Schramm
Clovis, CA
http://onlineapprentice.com
Matt McNabb
2004-01-13 21:10:32 UTC
I just went to Alexander's site to try to sample the cd on your
recommendation, but there aren't any samples there. I did notice a quote of
yours, though. That's some hefty praise. I think I'll try him out.