Who In The World is Sarn Dyer?
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-19 17:14:33 UTC
I post and pose this question with the utmost respect because I just for
the life of me cannot find any background about this person anywhere on
the web or anywhere else besides a few places of which I am wary of.

So who in the world is Sarn Dyer?

Mr. Dyer - if that is his real name - knows quite a bit about the
classical guitar, its history technique, etc. in fact he knows a bit too
much judging from his posts here and on the Yahoo! CG Mailing list and I
guess I wouldn't be interested in knowing who he was if he didn't know
that much (sorry to be so snobby and selective) but it seems that he
knows a great deal about the guitar and has much experience with it but
his name only appears a few times on the web if you Google him up and
there's not much to go by - the first mention of him in our RMCG is in
the year 2000 so as far as this NG is concerned, Sarn or the name of
Sarn is 4 years old.

So I guess I'm asking people and (even Sarn himself if he's interested)
to possibly tell me whether they think Sarn is Sarn's real name or just
a screenname for some other CG scholar/player. I'm not trying to unmask
Sarn - well maybe I am - but only because I truly respect this person's
posts here and other places - and well it seems to me that this person
should have more of a history in this world and a bio and info should be
given about him on the web and elsewhere.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Larry Deack
2004-02-19 17:40:12 UTC
"Aryeh Eller"
Post by Aryeh Eller
So who in the world is Sarn Dyer?
It's come up before in this NG. I think the pieces are there if you are
really interested in outing Sarn but I've never been a fan of outing someone
who has not come to it on their own. I was sorry that you were sort of
tricked into admitting who you were before you were ready to do it on your
own.

I agree that Sarn is a very interesting poster.
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-19 18:34:57 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"Aryeh Eller"
Post by Aryeh Eller
So who in the world is Sarn Dyer?
It's come up before in this NG. I think the pieces are there if you are
really interested in outing Sarn but I've never been a fan of outing someone
who has not come to it on their own. I was sorry that you were sort of
tricked into admitting who you were before you were ready to do it on your
own.
I agree that Sarn is a very interesting poster.
Well I'm not really trying to out him - just wondering why someone of
his obvious scholarship about the guitar would need to go clandestine -
if that is the case at all..

Now I infer from your post that your opinion is that Sarn is a
screenname and not the actual name of this person, is that correct? Well
how do you know that for sure?

A correction to your statement that I was tricked into admitting who I
was - For the record - and you can check this yourself in the archives -
I never admitted who I was outright but was tentatively unmasked by one
person and then confirmed by another and had no choice in the matter but
to follow the rest of my posts with my own real name. So I never really
admitted it outright - Though I think I just did!!! :)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Larry Deack
2004-02-19 19:01:35 UTC
"Aryeh Eller"
Post by Aryeh Eller
Well I'm not really trying to out him - just wondering why someone of
his obvious scholarship about the guitar would need to go clandestine -
if that is the case at all..
The result is the same I think but I understand your curiosity.
Post by Aryeh Eller
Now I infer from your post that your opinion is that Sarn is a
screenname and not the actual name of this person, is that correct? Well
how do you know that for sure?
I'm not sure but the lack of information about Sarn seems to point to this
conclusion but I really have no idea and my memory of what Sarn said tended
to leave room for doubt.
Post by Aryeh Eller
A correction to your statement that I was tricked into admitting who I
was - For the record - and you can check this yourself in the archives -
I never admitted who I was outright but was tentatively unmasked by one
person and then confirmed by another and had no choice in the matter but
to follow the rest of my posts with my own real name. So I never really
admitted it outright - Though I think I just did!!! :)
Oh, sorry. I sometimes forget something or another about RMCG 'events'. I
do miss the MP3 posts but am glad you are able to post with your real time
name. I hope Sarn will clear things up but it may not be possible because as
you say there are reasons why some folks choose to not reveal more than what
we read here about them.
c***@gmail.com
2017-02-08 15:30:40 UTC
Sarn Dyer is a friend. He plays the spanish guitar as an angel, and off course he compose music for guitar.
I dont want to inform more. He lives in Spain.
Paul Magnussen
2017-02-08 21:47:23 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Sarn Dyer is a friend. He plays the spanish guitar as an angel, and off course he compose music for guitar.
I dont want to inform more. He lives in Spain.
I was corresponding with him about 2002 about Ida Presti's recordings.
At the time, I told him:

"I used to have a complete typewritten list of Presti/Lagoya recordings,
but I think I threw it away when the CDs came out, since the CDs
embraced it all anyway."

In fact, I hadn't thrown it out, and I found it a couple of weeks ago.
I should ask Sarn if he's still interested. Is his email still at
lineone.net? If not, perhaps you could ask him for me.

Paul Magnussen
tom g
2017-02-08 22:24:09 UTC
Post by Paul Magnussen
Post by c***@gmail.com
Sarn Dyer is a friend. He plays the spanish guitar as an angel, and off course he compose music for guitar.
I dont want to inform more. He lives in Spain.
I was corresponding with him about 2002 about Ida Presti's recordings.
"I used to have a complete typewritten list of Presti/Lagoya recordings,
but I think I threw it away when the CDs came out, since the CDs
embraced it all anyway."
In fact, I hadn't thrown it out, and I found it a couple of weeks ago.
I should ask Sarn if he's still interested. Is his email still at
lineone.net? If not, perhaps you could ask him for me.
Paul Magnussen
You can see if all the recordings have been included in the long discography at the end of his writing about Ida Presti in the journal Guitar Forum 2.
On page 41 he says "Additional thanks to Paul Magnussen for alerting me to a later compilation of Presti-Lagoya recordings on RCA."

tom g
Steven Bornfeld
2017-02-10 19:11:37 UTC
Post by Paul Magnussen
Post by c***@gmail.com
Sarn Dyer is a friend. He plays the spanish guitar as an angel, and
off course he compose music for guitar.
I dont want to inform more. He lives in Spain.
I was corresponding with him about 2002 about Ida Presti's recordings.
"I used to have a complete typewritten list of Presti/Lagoya recordings,
but I think I threw it away when the CDs came out, since the CDs
embraced it all anyway."
In fact, I hadn't thrown it out, and I found it a couple of weeks ago. I
should ask Sarn if he's still interested. Is his email still at
lineone.net? If not, perhaps you could ask him for me.
Paul Magnussen
Haven't even thought of Sarn for a long time. Makes me wistful for the
folks no longer here. That includes Sarn, and Aryeh for that matter.

Steve
Tommy Grand
You forgot Jez
wollybyrde
Bloody Jez
Steven Bornfeld
2017-02-12 18:08:17 UTC
Post by wollybyrde
Bloody Jez
I'm drawing a blank.
wollybyrde
2017-02-15 01:19:22 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by wollybyrde
Bloody Jez
I'm drawing a blank.
He was a long haired Welshman who played erratically, but he was a funny guy who peppered his speech with the word "bloody"
Andrew Schulman
2017-02-15 02:56:59 UTC
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by wollybyrde
Bloody Jez
I'm drawing a blank.
He was a long haired Welshman who played erratically, but he was a funny guy who peppered his speech with the word "bloody"
Long ago, right? Rings a bell.

A.
tom g
Clue 1: various seudonims.
wollybyrde
2017-02-15 22:58:04 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by wollybyrde
Here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical.guitar/Yl0h9tfP2Mo%5B1-25%5D

he called a Segovia a "fat shit" too
JMF
Man, I remember that thread. That was one for the ages.
tom g
2017-02-16 20:00:58 UTC
Post by JMF
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by wollybyrde
Bloody Jez
I'm drawing a blank.
He was a long haired Welshman who played erratically, but he was a funny guy who peppered his speech with the word "bloody"
Long ago, right? Rings a bell.
A.
Here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical.guitar/Yl0h9tfP2Mo%5B1-25%5D
he called a Segovia a "fat shit" too
Man, I remember that thread. That was one for the ages.
Apart from the original interview with John Williams, I must ask what, in the end, did we learn from all that? What solid facts?
To me it seems only a mountain of argumentative afectation.

tom g
wollybyrde
Later on Segovia's son Carlos Segovia paid us a visit. Very interesting to say the least. But any way Jez was the subject of the post, just to jog memories.
tom g
2017-02-17 00:20:33 UTC
Post by wollybyrde
Post by tom g
Post by JMF
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by wollybyrde
Bloody Jez
I'm drawing a blank.
He was a long haired Welshman who played erratically, but he was a funny guy who peppered his speech with the word "bloody"
Long ago, right? Rings a bell.
A.
Here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical.guitar/Yl0h9tfP2Mo%5B1-25%5D
he called a Segovia a "fat shit" too
Man, I remember that thread. That was one for the ages.
Apart from the original interview with John Williams, I must ask what, in the end, did we learn from all that? What solid facts?
To me it seems only a mountain of argumentative afectation.
tom g
Later on Segovia's son Carlos Segovia paid us a visit. Very interesting to say the least. But any way Jez was the subject of the post, just to jog memories.
That John Williams mother was a conquest of Andrés Segovia? Very old news, really. To sustain that John Williams suffered for this does not convince me. I just finished the biography of his life and it is clear that he grew up in a very permisive "bohemian" environment. In the book there are not less than 7 references to his fathers attitude to sex.
In relation to Mr Segovias last comments, well really they were not admirable and I wonder if now he regrets them.
Did you expect this subject to remain about a few postings of Jez of Surrey, England? Hey, this is rmcg!

tom g
wollybyrde
More to the story than that, and it wasn't old news at the time, but frankly I just searched "Jez Bloody" and landed on that thread.
tom g
2017-02-17 00:38:47 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by wollybyrde
Post by tom g
Post by JMF
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by wollybyrde
[...]
......it wasn't old news at the time

Old news in Spain.

tom g
wollybyrde
when was it new news in Spain?
tom g
2017-02-17 01:00:05 UTC
Post by wollybyrde
Post by tom g
Post by tom g
Post by wollybyrde
Post by tom g
Post by JMF
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by wollybyrde
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by wollybyrde
[...]
No idea. I heard it when I was a student in 1986.

tom g
Roger Brian
tom g
dsi1
John Wasak
2004-02-19 22:40:08 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
So I guess I'm asking people and (even Sarn himself if he's interested)
to possibly tell me whether they think Sarn is Sarn's real name or just
a screenname for some other CG scholar/player.
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.

Isn't 'Sarn' a Welsh word?

jw
John Wasak
2004-02-19 22:42:58 UTC
Post by John Wasak
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
OOOPS!....

NOT a good time for a typo!!

Of course I meant to write:

I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dyer

jw
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-19 22:57:17 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by John Wasak
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
OOOPS!....
NOT a good time for a typo!!
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dyer
jw
Alrighty now!!

And what's your evidence to this fact?

I mean how come I can't find him anywhere else but here and another CG
forum? He seems to know oodles of noodles guitaristically speaking and
that should make him more prominently displayed elsewhere than these two
places.

I know you're very good at this sort of thing - Please don't bring in
Dr. Freud just yet my zeeskind!! :)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
John Wasak
2004-02-19 23:55:45 UTC
Aryeh Eller <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bandoneon1800-***@nycmny-nntp-rdr-03-ge1.rdc-nyc.rr.c
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Post by John Wasak
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
OOOPS!....
NOT a good time for a typo!!
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dyer
jw
Alrighty now!!
And what's your evidence to this fact?
I mean how come I can't find him anywhere else but here and another CG
forum? He seems to know oodles of noodles guitaristically speaking and
that should make him more prominently displayed elsewhere than these two
places.
I know you're very good at this sort of thing - Please don't bring in
Dr. Freud just yet my zeeskind!! :)
Well, I don't actually have any real evidence on this one, Aryeh. Just a
hunch, I guess. Though I have noticed in the Guitar Forum
http://www.egtaguitarforum.org/ this:

"Guitar Forum is published by the European Guitar Teachers Association UK
(EGTA UK), edited by Jonathan Leathwood and refereed by a board comprising
Stephen Dodgson, Angelo Gilardino, Stephen Goss, Ricardo Iznaola, Stanley
Yates, and Fabio Zanon. The second issue is shortly to go to press, with
contributions from Julian Bream, Sarn Dyer, Lorenzo Micheli, Fabio Zanon and
Luis Zea."

and this:
http://www.egtaguitarforum.org/JournalContents.html

"A Lesson with Ida: an imaginary interview with Ida Presti"
Sarn Dyer
A revaluation of the implications of Presti's astonishingly facile and
expressive technique for present-day musical expectations of the guitar,
entertainingly cast in the form of an imaginary interview. A discography of
Presti's solo and duo work (with Alexandre Lagoya) concludes the article."

Now, while I can maybe see why someone would want to keep their identity a
secret in this NG, I don't see where (and why) it follows that they would
want to do the same in print in a whole very different forum. As I see it
there would be no good reason for Sarn Dyer to use the same pseudoynm he is,
hypothetically, said to be using in this NG. Of course, anything's
possible.

Anyway, to me, I'm satisfied that Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dyer! ;-)

jw
Post by Aryeh Eller
--
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-20 01:11:59 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by John Wasak
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
Aryeh - Alrighty now!!
[...]
Yes, I saw that - that's Jonathan Leathwood's journal - very scholarly
and interesting articles in that publication - but I think that Sarn is
Sarning over there - that is I think that's the beginning of his
pseudonym as Sarn...
Post by John Wasak
Anyway, to me, I'm satisfied that Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dyer! ;-)
Well if you're satisfied than I guess I'll be too... for the time
being...

You know Sarn hasn't been the target of an unmasking (yet) even though I
think with his completely authoritative posts that can come across as
condescending (at least to me) he was a better target than I ever would
have been so I guess he must be who he is or he's got some kind of
secret pact..

Well just one more try - How about some guitar music by Sarn! It's hard
to hide your personality and who you are behind a piece of music - or
maybe it's easy..

Here's a link to a guitar piece called Canzona by Sarn Dyer nicely
played by Byron over on the E-Borneo CG Forum:

http://www.e-borneo.com/cgf/upload2/music_files/canzona%20in%20d.mp3

It the link doesn't work just go to:

http://www.e-borneo.com/cgf/upload2/music_files/

and it's # 11 on the list of mp3's -"canzona in d.mp3"

Now you'll hear that this piece could've been written by any Baroque
composer, even Bach - it's a good piece in that style. Perhaps Sarn is
the Professor Peter Schickele/PDQ Bach of the Classical Guitar World!
(Schickele can write almost convincingly in any composer's style)

(or maybe someone plays this piece and/or has the sheet music and the
composer at the top of the page doesn't say Sarn.... darn!)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
John Wasak
2004-02-20 07:20:05 UTC
Aryeh Eller <***@hotmail.com> wrote
[lots of snippage heaped upon this post]
Post by Aryeh Eller
Perhaps Sarn is
the Professor Peter Schickele/PDQ Bach of the Classical Guitar World!
(Schickele can write almost convincingly in any composer's style)
Well, speaking of Peter Shickele, I recently picked up a CD that has a
recording of his "Windows, Threee Pieces For Flute and Guitar" on it. I
think the best thing on this recording is Joan Tower's "Snow Dreams". But
then I'm no fan of the flute....

jw
Robert Firestone
2004-02-20 02:21:23 UTC
Post by John Wasak
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Aryeh Eller
--
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com

"A Lesson with Ida: an imaginary interview with Ida Presti"
Robert
Steven Bornfeld
2004-02-19 22:50:23 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
So I guess I'm asking people and (even Sarn himself if he's interested)
to possibly tell me whether they think Sarn is Sarn's real name or just
a screenname for some other CG scholar/player.
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
Isn't 'Sarn' a Welsh word?
jw
Not knowing who Sarn Dayer was, I typed "Sarn Dayer" into google. The
response? "Did you mean Sarn DYER?"

Steve
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-19 22:50:56 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
So I guess I'm asking people and (even Sarn himself if he's interested)
to possibly tell me whether they think Sarn is Sarn's real name or just
a screenname for some other CG scholar/player.
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
Isn't 'Sarn' a Welsh word?
jw
Like Leo Seyer is Leo Sayer!! :)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Greg M. Silverman
2004-02-19 22:53:21 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Like Leo Seyer is Leo Sayer!! :)
Ha! You Googled it too, eh? Bad Aryeh! Bad! :-)

gms--
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-19 22:55:01 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Aryeh Eller
Like Leo Seyer is Leo Sayer!! :)
Ha! You Googled it too, eh? Bad Aryeh! Bad! :-)
gms--
I didn't Google it at all Mr. Hamantasch!! I've explored all
possibilties including spellings about Sarn before posing my question.

I quickly noticed JW's obvious typo and decided to have some fun!
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-19 23:09:41 UTC
In article
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Aryeh Eller
Like Leo Seyer is Leo Sayer!! :)
Ha! You Googled it too, eh? Bad Aryeh! Bad! :-)
gms--
I didn't Google it at all Mr. Hamantasch!! I had explored all
possibilties including spellings about Sarn before posing my question.

I quickly noticed JW's obvious typo and decided to have some fun!

(Just wanted to correct my grammar on that one before someone has fun
with MY post...)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Greg M. Silverman
2004-02-19 23:09:58 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Aryeh Eller
Like Leo Seyer is Leo Sayer!! :)
Ha! You Googled it too, eh? Bad Aryeh! Bad! :-)
gms--
I didn't Google it at all Mr. Hamantasch!!
actually, it's Mrs., I haven't made these since I was a wee lad and
helped me Mum to fold the tasty little triangular ears!

And I am afraid this year will be a big bust on them since me Better
Half has her PhD prelim coming up right around the same time as jolly
ole Purim...
However, we can find lots of ways to remedy this since I still owe you
for the nifty fingerings from the Granados (which BTW was the only sane
solution to the problem). I think a future trip to NYC is in order, eh?
Post by Aryeh Eller
I've explored all
possibilties including spellings about Sarn before posing my question.
I quickly noticed JW's obvious typo and decided to have some fun!
The irony of it all is if you Google "Sarn Dayer" all of 8 hits come up
with number 2 returning the following:

"SKATE. I'm boracic - cobblers. eagle mart. I'm off down the Battle to have
a few Britney's and I'm intending it to be a Leo (Sayer- All *dayer*).
*SARN*. *...* "

Shalom!

gms--
Robert Crim
2004-02-19 23:57:01 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
So I guess I'm asking people and (even Sarn himself if he's interested)
to possibly tell me whether they think Sarn is Sarn's real name or just
a screenname for some other CG scholar/player.
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
Isn't 'Sarn' a Welsh word?
jw
I think if Sarn Dyer wanted anyone to know if Sarn Dyer was anything
other than Sarn Dyer, he would let you/us know.

That's good enough for me.

Robert
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-20 01:27:51 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
So I guess I'm asking people and (even Sarn himself if he's interested)
to possibly tell me whether they think Sarn is Sarn's real name or just
a screenname for some other CG scholar/player.
I think Sarn Dyer is Sarn Dayer.
Isn't 'Sarn' a Welsh word?
jw
I think if Sarn Dyer wanted anyone to know if Sarn Dyer was anything
other than Sarn Dyer, he would let you/us know.
That's good enough for me.
Robert
I guess so, but I didn't want anyone to know who the real person behind
my screennames were when I used them on this NG - but you're right, he
doesn't seem to be flinching about the questioning of his identity - so
I guess he's the real McCoy or shall I say Dyer ;)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
ByronLaM
2004-02-20 01:47:44 UTC
Aryeh,

Some people don't seem the least bit concerned with the portions of the NG
that don't directly relate to the guitar. They refuse to be baited and if a
troll latches (and please, I'm not suggesting that this thread is such an
attempt) on to them, they just disappear for a couple months.
Sarn always speaks with authority and sometimes that "voice" lacks a certain
amount of tact, but he as established himself (at least in my browsing book)
as a must read.

Peace,
Byron

p.s. Lots of Byrons running around so for clarity... Byron LaMastus, KY USA.

"Aryeh Eller" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bandoneon1800-***@nycmny-nntp-rdr-03-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.c
om...
http://www.aryeheller.com
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-20 02:05:32 UTC
Post by richard c. spross
Aryeh,
Some people don't seem the least bit concerned with the portions of the NG
that don't directly relate to the guitar. They refuse to be baited and if a
troll latches (and please, I'm not suggesting that this thread is such an
attempt) on to them, they just disappear for a couple months.
Sarn always speaks with authority and sometimes that "voice" lacks a certain
amount of tact, but he as established himself (at least in my browsing book)
as a must read.
Well I think knowing something about Sarn is related to the guitar a
whole lot, just look at his posts! I stated at the beginning of this
thread that I'm basically asking for more info about this person because
of what I see as a tremendous authority on the subject of this NG - the
classical guitar.This person stands out from the pack - Imagine if
Segovia MHRIP was posting under a screenname, I think it would be
obvious that his posts would stand out too. That is not to say that
other posters don't stand out in their knowledge over others - But I
know they exist, even have seen pictures of them and met them in person.

I can't believe Sarn would disappear on a count of me - that would be
foolish of a man with so much authority. There's nothing about me to be
the least bit rattled about - just ask John Wasak, Steve Bornfeld, Ed
Bridge, Andrew Schulman and even MO! And once again my query is posed
out of complete respect.

Speaking of MO, I think he's absolutely right - I want to know who I'm
talking to!! (background info and correct ID)

When you're still masked and your screenname's aka is intact and
fool-proof you empathize with the screenname and his privacy - but once
you're unmasked you become a vampire - thirsting for the blood of a
screename!!! It's HORRIBLE!!! :)
Post by richard c. spross
Peace,
Byron
p.s. Lots of Byrons running around so for clarity... Byron LaMastus, KY USA.
Thanks a lot Byron, are you the Byron that recorded the piece by Sarn
over on E-Borneo?
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Steven Bornfeld
2004-02-20 02:20:09 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by richard c. spross
[...]
Nothing at all to be rattled about. Nothing, unless you don't like
hugs! ;-)

Steve
ByronLaM
2004-02-20 03:10:28 UTC
Aryeh,

No, I'm not. The Elegie thing is coming along though, so maybe soon there
will be a recording.

Peace,
Byron
http://www.aryeheller.com
Robert Crim
2004-02-20 14:26:48 UTC
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:27:51 GMT, Aryeh Eller
Post by Aryeh Eller
I guess so, but I didn't want anyone to know who the real person behind
my screennames were when I used them on this NG - but you're right, he
doesn't seem to be flinching about the questioning of his identity - so
I guess he's the real McCoy or shall I say Dyer ;)
--
Aryeh Eller
Surely you're not playing "get even" are you?

R.
richard c. spross
2004-02-19 23:08:45 UTC
Aryeh,
There are countless fine and knowledgeble guitarists, teachers, composers,
who we never hear about. That is a truism.

For example if it were not for the internet, you would never have
heard of me. But please don't count me in as one of those to whom I refer.
Thanks to this NG, I have learned just how little I know and how
much more there is to learn.

Richard Spross
http://www.aryeheller.com
Greg M. Silverman
2004-02-19 23:18:15 UTC
Post by richard c. spross
Aryeh,
There are countless fine and knowledgeble guitarists, teachers, composers,
who we never hear about. That is a truism.
For example if it were not for the internet, you would never have
heard of me. But please don't count me in as one of those to whom I refer.
rubbish! you are the Master of strength and conditioning development for
the RH (and I am not saying this lightly either as per my latest
results! and I am taking today off from the modification to the 6 BTW,
since I think 4 days in a row of the 6 may be a bit overboard, yes?) :-)
Post by richard c. spross
Thanks to this NG, I have learned just how little I know and how
much more there is to learn.
Amen to that!

BTW, I got your email... I'll respond later. I need to take off from
this hell-hole soon, go home and take Polly for a walk, eat dins, do
some scales and Carcassi number 23 a few times and sight read through a
failry tricky rhymic piece that I know that Roderick will want to hear
me play at tonight's lesson, which I have at 9:00 CST...

Shalom!

gms--
Greg M. Silverman
2004-02-19 23:22:25 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by richard c. spross
Aryeh,
There are countless fine and knowledgeble guitarists, teachers, composers,
who we never hear about. That is a truism.
For example if it were not for the internet, you would never have
heard of me. But please don't count me in as one of those to whom I refer.
rubbish! you are the Master of strength and conditioning development
for the RH (and I am not saying this lightly either as per my latest
results! and I am taking today off from the modification to the 6 BTW,
since I think 4 days in a row of the 6 may be a bit overboard, yes?)
:-)
Post by richard c. spross
Thanks to this NG, I have learned just how little I know and how
much more there is to learn.
Amen to that!
BTW, I got your email... I'll respond later. I need to take off from
this hell-hole soon, go home and take Polly for a walk, eat dins, do
some scales and Carcassi number 23 a few times and sight read through
a failry tricky rhymic piece that I know that Roderick will want to
hear me play at tonight's lesson, which I have at 9:00 CST...
unlik Aryeh, I will not correct ym bda spelling eithur! (no, I do not
have dyslexia, I jsut don't know how to type!)
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Shalom!
gms--
Paul Magnussen
2004-02-20 06:01:56 UTC
The only Englishman I know that knows as much about Ida Presti as Sarn Dyer, is
Jack Duarte.

I did briefly entertain the notion that SD was JD, until SD betrayed an
intereet in Flamenco. Then I knew that (unless he was being exceptionally
devious), it couldn't be Jack.

Paul Magnussen

To send me e-mail, adjust aol's name in the signature.
Andrew Schulman
2004-02-20 21:02:58 UTC
Yes Virginia, there is a Sarn Dyer...

Andrew
John Wasak
2004-02-21 01:59:59 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Yes Virginia, there is a Sarn Dyer...
Andrew
Andrew, are you saying we should expect Sarn to come down our chimney's next
Dec. 25th?

;-)

jw
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-21 02:05:00 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Andrew Schulman
Yes Virginia, there is a Sarn Dyer...
Andrew
Andrew, are you saying we should expect Sarn to come down our chimney's next
Dec. 25th?
;-)
jw
Yo JW -Do you notice a bit of Roland Dyens('name) in Sarn Dyer? The
plot thickens... :)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
John Wasak
2004-02-21 02:39:00 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Post by Andrew Schulman
Yes Virginia, there is a Sarn Dyer...
Andrew
Andrew, are you saying we should expect Sarn to come down our chimney's next
Dec. 25th?
;-)
jw
Yo JW -Do you notice a bit of Roland Dyens('name) in Sarn Dyer? The
plot thickens... :)
Yo, Yo, Aryeh... for a minute I was down with the fact that, for a moment
there, the plot was thickening like a container of maple syrup set out on
the table at a Vermont Sunday Morning Go-To-Meeting outdoor breakfast in
January!

BUT...

(and here we present the big BUT!...)

...Of course, once we got ourselves indoors and thawed out our icy and
thoroughly frostbitten toes and fingers by the wood-stove, we realized that
Sarn writes in a thoroughly English way that Roland most likely wouldn't!

;-)

"Icy finger's wave
Ski trails on a mountain side,
Moonlight in Vermont."

jw
Post by Aryeh Eller
--
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-21 03:50:55 UTC
Post by John Wasak
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Post by Andrew Schulman
Yes Virginia, there is a Sarn Dyer...
Andrew
Andrew, are you saying we should expect Sarn to come down our chimney's
next
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Dec. 25th?
Yo JW -Do you notice a bit of Roland Dyens('name) in Sarn Dyer? The
plot thickens... :)
Yo, Yo, Aryeh... for a minute I was down with the fact that, for a moment
there, the plot was thickening like a container of maple syrup set out on
the table at a Vermont Sunday Morning Go-To-Meeting outdoor breakfast in
January!
BUT...
(and here we present the big BUT!...)
...Of course, once we got ourselves indoors and thawed out our icy and
thoroughly frostbitten toes and fingers by the wood-stove, we realized that
Sarn writes in a thoroughly English way that Roland most likely wouldn't!
;-)
Yes but Paul M a couple of posts back said Sarn knew a lot about Ida
Presti and he thought Sarn might be John Duarte (because Duarte knows a
bunch about Ida P) except that Sarn expressed an interest in flamenco
and John Duarte would never have done that. Now Roland is Tunisian but
has spent a great deal of his life in France and teaches in the
Conservatoire there so he may have an interest in the life of Ida Presti
who was French. And Roland definitely digs flamenco.. but I'm stretching
it here 'cause as you say Sarn writes in a thoroughly English way...but
you know Roland is a morph musically speaking and can write well in any
style of music so maybe he can write well in English too - all he would
need is a little spell check and grammar helper... oh well so much for
that hypotheses..
Post by John Wasak
"Icy finger's wave
Ski trails on a mountain side,
Moonlight in Vermont."
Falling leaves, a sycamore..

or is it

Falling leaves of sycamore?

(Sweet) Warblings of the meadowlark!!

I must admit that I love Mel Torme singing this song!

Got a good solo guitar arr.? :)
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Greg M Silverman
2004-02-21 04:02:48 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
oh well so much for
that hypotheses..
grammar police here Mr. Eller: you only had ONE hypothesis!

This is only a warning.

Carry On.
John Wasak
2004-02-21 04:59:33 UTC
Aryeh Eller <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bandoneon1800-***@nycmny-nntp-rdr-03-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.c
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Post by Andrew Schulman
Yes Virginia, there is a Sarn Dyer...
Andrew
Andrew, are you saying we should expect Sarn to come down our chimney's
next
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Dec. 25th?
[...]
Here, I can only refer you to Mr. Silverman's cogent grammatical
articulations!
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
"Icy finger's wave
Ski trails on a mountain side,
Moonlight in Vermont."
Falling leaves, a sycamore..
or is it
Falling leaves of sycamore?
This is a weird lyric... I've heard it a few ways, but I think "falling
leaves of sycamore" is "right"!??
Post by Aryeh Eller
(Sweet) Warblings of the meadowlark!!
I must admit that I love Mel Torme singing this song!
Well, me, fan of Billie Holiday that I am, would suggest Billie Holiday
(d'oh! ;-))) with Barney Kessel on guitar!

But, (and this is NOT necessarily a big *but*) there's Johnny Smith's
recording with Stan Getz on tenor (recorded in 1952) that just sounds so
FIFTIES that ya' gotta' like it!...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Got a good solo guitar arr.? :)
When I was about 15 or 16 my jazz guitar teacher gave me an arrangement of
this tune and said " You know this song, don't you?" Well, in fact, I
ddn't, but I said "Yeah" anyway (hey! I was only 15 or 16 and didn't want to
look like I didn't know the tunes!) and so I had it, and then I put it away
in the files somewhere, where, I'm sure it still lays. But all that means,
no, I don't - I just listen to Billie...that's good enough!

jw
Post by Aryeh Eller
--
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com
Murdick
You can hear him on youtube. IMO,he's a rather mechanical player who doesn't understand the basics of how to use left hand fingering to smoothly phrase on the guitar.
tom g
2017-02-09 16:45:16 UTC
Post by Murdick
Post by Aryeh Eller
[...]
I looked for his recordings on YouTube. There are none.
More malicious lies from the disgusting Kent Murdick.
r***@gmail.com
2017-02-09 17:48:40 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by Murdick
Post by Aryeh Eller
[...]
Easy now - I'm pretty sure Kent was referring to this video here of a Canzona in D composed by Sarn Dyer but played by Byron Zeliotis. So Kent was criticizing Zeliotis' playing.

Honest mistake because of the wording on the page and the white lettering at the beginning of the video.

BTW Tom I'm just a lurker here but from your postings you're obviously very knowledgeable and sort of hint that you're a virtuoso player, are there any videos or possibly recordings of yours we can purchase and listen to? Thanks!

Bob Raymaker
tom g
2017-02-09 18:11:50 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by tom g
http://youtu.be/dljPI9EeQ7A
Honest mistake because of the wording on the page and the white lettering at the beginning of the video.
BTW Tom I'm just a lurker here but from your postings you're obviously very knowledgeable and sort of hint that you're a virtuoso player, are there any videos or possibly recordings of yours we can purchase and listen to? Thanks!
Bob Raymaker
Sorry, Bob, but youre wrong about this; maybe you know very little about Murdick and his activities here. He knew about the Byron Zeliotis video a long time ago. He has so much malice that he sees what he wants to see. There is another video of Sarn Dyers music and it says very clearly that the guitarist is José Asensio.

I have never given a "sort of hint" that Im a virtuoso player so youre wrong about that too - pity about that! Im not a profesional, I give maybe two or three concerts every year - nothing important.

tom g
Matt Faunce
2017-02-09 18:36:59 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by tom g
Post by Murdick
Post by Aryeh Eller
[...]
I heard people call anyone who can play Tarrega 'a virtuoso'. Maybe that's
what he meant.
Matt
tom g
2017-02-09 18:53:47 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
Post by tom g
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by tom g
Post by Murdick
Post by Aryeh Eller
[...]
Maybe, but I think "Bob" knows what "virtuoso" really means...
;-)

tom g
Ken Blake
2017-02-09 19:00:03 UTC
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 18:36:59 -0000 (UTC), Matt Faunce
Post by Matt Faunce
I heard people call anyone who can play Tarrega 'a virtuoso'. Maybe that's
what he meant.
I'm not Tom G, but since you mention Tarrega, my favorite guitar
composer, I'll throw my two cents in. I play several of his pieces:
Adelita, Lagrima, Marietta, and Maria. I've also worked on Capricho
Arabe, and Recuerdos de la Alhambra, neither of which I can play
anywhere near as well as the first four.

And even those that I can do the best at (Adelita and Lagrima), I play
them nowhere near as well as a professional. I am anything but a
virtuoso.

Coincidentally, I've been working on Maria for the past several weeks
now, with my teacher. With his help, it's gotten much better, but it's
still nowhere near as good as I would like it to be.
dsi1
2017-02-09 19:23:47 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
I heard people call anyone who can play Tarrega 'a virtuoso'. Maybe that's
what he meant.
I'm not Tom G, but since you mention Tarrega, my favorite guitar
Adelita, Lagrima, Marietta, and Maria. I've also worked on Capricho
Arabe, and Recuerdos de la Alhambra, neither of which I can play
anywhere near as well as the first four.
And even those that I can do the best at (Adelita and Lagrima), I play
them nowhere near as well as a professional. I am anything but a
virtuoso.
Coincidentally, I've been working on Maria for the past several weeks
now, with my teacher. With his help, it's gotten much better, but it's
still nowhere near as good as I would like it to be.
You might enjoy having a go at Tarrega's prelude #2 in Am. It's a short piece that is going to improve the chops of anyone that puts some time in it.

Ken Blake
Thanks. Will do.
Matt Faunce
2017-02-09 19:33:34 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
I heard people call anyone who can play Tarrega 'a virtuoso'. Maybe that's
what he meant.
I'm not Tom G, but since you mention Tarrega, my favorite guitar
Adelita, Lagrima, Marietta, and Maria. I've also worked on Capricho
Arabe, and Recuerdos de la Alhambra, neither of which I can play
anywhere near as well as the first four.
And even those that I can do the best at (Adelita and Lagrima), I play
them nowhere near as well as a professional. I am anything but a
virtuoso.
Coincidentally, I've been working on Maria for the past several weeks
now, with my teacher. With his help, it's gotten much better, but it's
still nowhere near as good as I would like it to be.
Yep. Just the mention of the name Tárrega gives me a good feeling.

You have a better perspective, and a clearer idea, of what's virtuosic than
many people who don't play an instrument. I imagine judging virtuosity is
like trying to judge what buildings are taller and by how much from the
perspective of various heights. It's easiest to judge from the average
height of the surrounding buildings. I've done this; when I got to the top
of the highest building I was astounded at how different my judgment was
compared with my judgment at street level.
Matt
Steven Bornfeld
2017-02-10 19:09:04 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
I heard people call anyone who can play Tarrega 'a virtuoso'. Maybe that's
what he meant.
I'm not Tom G, but since you mention Tarrega, my favorite guitar
Adelita, Lagrima, Marietta, and Maria. I've also worked on Capricho
Arabe, and Recuerdos de la Alhambra, neither of which I can play
anywhere near as well as the first four.
And even those that I can do the best at (Adelita and Lagrima), I play
them nowhere near as well as a professional. I am anything but a
virtuoso.
Coincidentally, I've been working on Maria for the past several weeks
now, with my teacher. With his help, it's gotten much better, but it's
still nowhere near as good as I would like it to be.
If yer gonna moider guitar composers, moider the best!

Steve
Murdick
You may be right here Tom G. I may have made this mistake before. Too many years, too many posts and I am getting forgetful. I almost went to a gig a day early this week. Also, I am tough on people who put themselves out there', but I'm quick to compliment accomplishments as well. For example,I'm tough on Learnwell, but I admire him too.
Tommy Grand
2017-02-10 22:18:19 UTC
Kent, on the whole I think you've done a great service here by challenging people to back up their claims with evidence. Also, you have a great talent for expressing complicated ideas in a concise way. I'm a little sad that a lot of your thoughts on CG pedagogy will be lost when Usenet is finally completely forgotten.
David Raleigh Arnold
2017-02-10 04:07:24 UTC
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 07:57:40 -0800 (PST)
On Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6,
Post by Aryeh Eller
I post and pose this question with the utmost
respect because I just for the life of me cannot
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com
You can hear him on youtube. IMO,he's a rather
mechanical player who doesn't understand the basics
of how to use left hand fingering to smoothly phrase
on the guitar.
He pays no attention to consistency of sound. That
should not be spontaneous, nor should staccato.
But he has a lot of company. He is perfectly
capable of doing those much better, but that is not
what he is listening to. A lot of hotshots play
the same way. Regards, Rale
tom g
2017-02-10 11:17:07 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
I post and pose this question with the utmost
respect because I just for the life of me cannot
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com
You can hear him on youtube. IMO,he's a rather
mechanical player who doesn't understand the basics
of how to use left hand fingering to smoothly phrase
on the guitar.
He pays no attention to consistency of sound. That
should not be spontaneous, nor should staccato.
But he has a lot of company. He is perfectly
capable of doing those much better, but that is not
what he is listening to. A lot of hotshots play
the same way. Regards, Rale
His sound is unusually consistent and very strong.
Mr Asensio's best recording on YouTube.