R. Smits's Weiss/Bach CD & 8-string Guitar
e***@yahoo.com
2005-11-08 20:47:21 UTC
I just recieved the Raphaella Smits's Weiss/Bach CD "Baroque Guitar
sounds" played on a Gilbert 1980 8-string. First off I am in love with
every aspect of Raphaella's playing and sound, and to hear her playing
the low notes on an 8-string CG is pure joy to listen to. I know it's
Bach and Baroque Classical music but I hear love songs and Jazz ballads
in Raphaella's playing.

(Andrew, have you heard this CD?)

I'd also like to recommend to US buyers of European labels MDT Music in
the UK for great selection, quick shipment, and low S&H costs. There's
that pesky $ to Euro conversion but sometimes a few extra bucks is
worth it.
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/home/default.asp

Ed S.
Andrew Schulman
2005-11-09 00:31:42 UTC
Yes! I am a R. Smits fan!

A.
a***@yahoo.com
2005-11-09 00:44:29 UTC
If you don't already have it, you should look into Raphaëlla Smits'
"Early 19th Century Guitar Music" on Accent ACC 21146. It's a wonderful
recording of the 24 Legnani Caprices and the Mertz arrangement of six
Schubert songs. She performs these pieces on a seven-string Mirecourt
guitar built around 1820.

I'm also partial to her "Popular Spanish Songs" on Accent ACC 21141
with soprano Liliana Rodriguez.

Tom Poore
Cleveland Heights, OH
USA
e***@yahoo.com
2005-11-09 16:23:13 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
If you don't already have it, you should look into Raphaëlla Smits'
"Early 19th Century Guitar Music" on Accent ACC 21146. It's a wonderful
recording of the 24 Legnani Caprices and the Mertz arrangement of six
Schubert songs. She performs these pieces on a seven-string Mirecourt
guitar built around 1820.
I'm also partial to her "Popular Spanish Songs" on Accent ACC 21141
with soprano Liliana Rodriguez.
Tom Poore
Cleveland Heights, OH
USA
Tom,

I have "Early 19th Century Guitar Music" and the Mertz arrangements are
interesting, especially "Stanchen" (sp?). I don't have "Popular
Spanish Songs" yet.

Thanks,

Ed S.
Andrew Schulman
2005-11-09 16:49:16 UTC
I have adapted the Mertz arrangement of Standchen for 8-string guitar;
I find it is one of the great audience favorites.

A.
Mark & Steven Bornfeld
2005-11-09 17:10:02 UTC
I have adapted the Mertz arrangement of Standchen for 8-string guitar;
I find it is one of the great audience favorites.
A.
Has it replaced "Pinball Wizard" as the show-stopper?

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
Andrew Schulman
2005-11-09 22:29:11 UTC
Standchen is a solo piece -and-
nothing beats "Pinball Wizard" as a show-stopper. Except possibly
Tamara featured in Paganini's "Carnival of Venice". Close call-

However, Standchen is definitely the favorite slow solo piece I have
ever played. Great piece.

A.
718-258-5001
a***@yahoo.com
2005-11-09 23:27:51 UTC
Mertz obviously knew the Schubert/Liszt arrangements--not surprising,
as his wife was a pianist. The canon section of Mertz's Ständchen
arrangement is lifted directly from Liszt.

Tom Poore
Cleveland Heights, OH
USA
Andrew Schulman

USA
Room 101
It's only $15.50 from Qualiton Imports http://www.qualiton.com/
Steven Bornfeld
2005-11-09 02:32:48 UTC
http://www.alldirect.com/music/mItem.asp?mitemNo=675754518325&cartID=952118136033051108

e***@yahoo.com
2005-11-09 02:37:56 UTC
Post by Room 101
Post by e***@yahoo.com
I just recieved the Raphaella Smits's Weiss/Bach CD "Baroque Guitar
sounds" played on a Gilbert 1980 8-string. First off I am in love with
every aspect of Raphaella's playing and sound, and to hear her playing
the low notes on an 8-string CG is pure joy to listen to. I know it's
Bach and Baroque Classical music but I hear love songs and Jazz ballads
in Raphaella's playing.
(Andrew, have you heard this CD?)
I'd also like to recommend to US buyers of European labels MDT Music in
the UK for great selection, quick shipment, and low S&H costs. There's
that pesky $ to Euro conversion but sometimes a few extra bucks is
worth it.
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/home/default.asp
Ed S.
It's only $15.50 from Qualiton Imports http://www.qualiton.com/
Thanks. I forgot about Qualiton. But the main reason I ordered from
MDT is no U.S. distributor carries Smits's new CD "Harmonie du Soir"
ACC23158 and I've been looking for about 4 months. But Qualiton has 2
Smits's other CD's I want so they will get that order.

Ed S.
John E. Golden
2005-11-09 04:18:03 UTC
"***@yahoo.com" <***@yahoo.com> waxed on about Raphaëlla
Smits:

Now, I love Raphaëlla too!

And I just saw her play that 1980 John Gilbert in person 1-1/2 weeks
ago...wonderfully, I might add.

But I just don't know about the sound of that Gilbert guitar. The bass is
so tight and deep as to be almost overwhelming to me.

Raphaëlla sweetie, you should really be playing a sweeter sounding guitar.
I'd lend you my 1974 Jose 2a (Cedar / Brazilian Rosewood) anytime. And if
you just have to have more bass, I'd throw in (not literally) my 1974 Kohno
Model 10.
--
Regards,
John E. Golden