Petra - Chaconne
JPD
2019-12-12 07:20:29 UTC

2019-12-12 22:31:19 UTC
Post by JPD
http://youtu.be/lxZqC_J0C74
She's really something, isn't she?
Gerry
2019-12-13 01:34:38 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by JPD
http://youtu.be/lxZqC_J0C74
She's really something, isn't she?
Lovely.
John Nguyen
2019-12-13 02:51:41 UTC
Wow!Just WOW!!!!
o***@gmail.com
2019-12-15 12:18:25 UTC
Post by JPD
http://youtu.be/lxZqC_J0C74
AWESOME.....
jeff carter
2020-01-14 16:16:09 UTC
Beautiful! Is she playing on the right side of her nails?
Steven Bornfeld
2020-01-14 17:10:43 UTC
Post by jeff carter
Beautiful! Is she playing on the right side of her nails?
Looks like it to me. Pretty sure she plays lute/theorbo, so she has
kind of a thumb under position too.
tom g
2020-01-21 15:58:06 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by jeff carter
Beautiful! Is she playing on the right side of her nails?
Looks like it to me. Pretty sure she plays lute/theorbo, so she has
kind of a thumb under position too.
I never saw that but she plays early guitars.
This is 'thumb-under' tecnic:

tom g
2020-01-21 16:05:13 UTC
Post by jeff carter
Beautiful! Is she playing on the right side of her nails?
The normal tecnic is from right side (or sometimes top) of nail to left. This seems left top to right.
Why do guitarists play with such uncomfortable positions of the right hand? I notice that the talented young Aytahn Benavi has now learned that lesson. His previous position was painful to see.
Gerry
2020-01-15 00:44:40 UTC
Post by JPD
http://youtu.be/lxZqC_J0C74
What's the argument for moving one's right hand 8-12 inches away from
the strings, as she does repeatedly thorugh the first minute and a half
of this piece?
JPD
Self-expression.
Matthew Faunce
2020-01-15 04:06:13 UTC
Gerry, fluently moving the larger muscles, above the smaller muscles in use or that you’re going to use, is a way to make sure those small muscles are not too tense for executing the musical expression you want.

What Alfred Brendel says in this video at 7:55 is related:

Matt
Gerry
2020-01-15 06:23:51 UTC
Post by Matthew Faunce
Gerry, fluently moving the larger muscles, above the smaller muscles in
use or that you’re going to use, is a way to make sure those small
muscles are not too tense for executing the musical expression you want.
http://youtu.be/WIG7b_rhBTM
Matt
Seems feasible.