Pepe Romero playing Bach
John Philip Dimick
2006-09-01 00:51:54 UTC
20 years ago I had a recording of Pepe playing BWV 1004. (You know, the
Chaconne and stuff). At the time I thought it was a great recording.

But somewhere along the way I lost the recording. Every time I've tried
to find it, no one ever had it for sale. It's been out of print for a
long time.

But last week I thought I'd take another shot at finding it. After a
few hours of digging around on the Net I eventually found that it had
been rereleased in 2002. So I ordered it. It just arrived a few minutes
ago and I'm listening to it now for the first time in about 20 years.
Let me tell you: it's still @#*$@#$ great!
Kent Murdick
John Philip Dimick
2006-09-01 01:11:28 UTC
The Bach on this recording has the sound of something Pepe did just for
himself. Listening to it, I feel like I'm eavesdropping on a private
experience. There's no "Hollywood" in it. The tourists have gone home
for the evening, there's one or two cigs left in the pack ... I'm going
to try just one more time to get God on the phone.
Che'
John Sloan
2006-09-01 07:21:11 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
20 years ago I had a recording of Pepe playing BWV 1004. (You know, the
Chaconne and stuff). At the time I thought it was a great recording.
But somewhere along the way I lost the recording. Every time I've tried
to find it, no one ever had it for sale. It's been out of print for a
long time.
But last week I thought I'd take another shot at finding it. After a
few hours of digging around on the Net I eventually found that it had
been rereleased in 2002. So I ordered it. It just arrived a few minutes
ago and I'm listening to it now for the first time in about 20 years.
Hi, John,

Sounds like something worth having. What's the title of the CD? Where did
you order it?

John Sloan
John Philip Dimick
2006-09-01 15:03:57 UTC
Post by John Sloan
Post by John Philip Dimick
20 years ago I had a recording of Pepe playing BWV 1004. (You know, the
Chaconne and stuff). At the time I thought it was a great recording.
But somewhere along the way I lost the recording. Every time I've tried
to find it, no one ever had it for sale. It's been out of print for a
long time.
But last week I thought I'd take another shot at finding it. After a
few hours of digging around on the Net I eventually found that it had
been rereleased in 2002. So I ordered it. It just arrived a few minutes
ago and I'm listening to it now for the first time in about 20 years.
Hi, John,
Sounds like something worth having. What's the title of the CD? Where did
you order it?
Hi John,

The recording is poorly labeled, which is why it's so damned hard to
find!

Bach J.S: Fantasia In D Minor/Sor: Introduction & Variations On A Theme
By Mozart
(Pepe Romero, 2005)

Format: CD Record Label: Eloquence
Artist: Pepe Romero UPC: 028946820629

Search for this number on Ebay: 028946820629
John Sloan
2006-09-01 18:18:00 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
The recording is poorly labeled, which is why it's so damned hard to
find!
Bach J.S: Fantasia In D Minor/Sor: Introduction & Variations On A Theme
By Mozart
(Pepe Romero, 2005)
Format: CD Record Label: Eloquence
Artist: Pepe Romero UPC: 028946820629
Search for this number on Ebay: 028946820629
Thanks, John. Much appreciated.

JS
William D Clinger
2006-09-02 00:47:36 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
The recording is poorly labeled, which is why it's so damned hard to
find!
Bach J.S: Fantasia In D Minor/Sor: Introduction & Variations On A Theme
By Mozart
(Pepe Romero, 2005)
What a coincidence. I have never heard that CD,
but I picked it out of a bin and gave it to a young
guitarist for his birthday about a year ago. I'm
glad to hear it's good---not that I was worried.

Will
John Philip Dimick
2006-09-02 00:57:06 UTC
Post by William D Clinger
What a coincidence. I have never heard that CD,
but I picked it out of a bin and gave it to a young
guitarist for his birthday about a year ago. I'm
glad to hear it's good---not that I was worried.
There's a used on on sale on Amazon for $50. I've got a good mind to
buy out the supply of the guy on Ebay. He's got 63 remaining in stock.
I haven't seen any others for sale. Anywhere.
William D Clinger
2006-09-02 13:51:44 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
Post by William D Clinger
What a coincidence. I have never heard that CD,
but I picked it out of a bin and gave it to a young
guitarist for his birthday about a year ago. I'm
glad to hear it's good---not that I was worried.
There's a used on on sale on Amazon for $50. I've got a good mind to
buy out the supply of the guy on Ebay. He's got 63 remaining in stock.
I haven't seen any others for sale. Anywhere.
I think the one I found was Decca/Philips, but I assume
the Eloquence CD is the same. There's a track listing at
http://catalogue.deccaclassics.com/catalogue/prodshow.jsp?searchstr=468206

Will
William D Clinger
2006-09-02 14:13:56 UTC
By the way, Amazon also has a couple available:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-J-S-Fantasia-Introduction-Variations/dp/B000063XWM/ref=sr_11_1/102-0252220-8339341?ie=UTF8

Will
John Philip Dimick
2006-09-02 16:00:51 UTC
Post by William D Clinger
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-J-S-Fantasia-Introduction-Variations/dp/B000063XWM/ref=sr_11_1/102-0252220-8339341?ie=UTF8
Right, but the same guy sells them on Ebay for $5-something instead of
$15 -- or at least he WAS selling them on Ebay. I just checked and he's
taken down his ad. Maybe someone bought him out. *g*
Tashi
2006-09-01 14:33:08 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
20 years ago I had a recording of Pepe playing BWV 1004. (You know, the
Chaconne and stuff). At the time I thought it was a great recording.
But somewhere along the way I lost the recording. Every time I've tried
to find it, no one ever had it for sale. It's been out of print for a
long time.
But last week I thought I'd take another shot at finding it. After a
few hours of digging around on the Net I eventually found that it had
been rereleased in 2002. So I ordered it. It just arrived a few minutes
ago and I'm listening to it now for the first time in about 20 years.
Pepe Romero Playing Bach? Kinda like Bream playing African tribal
drums!
MT
John Philip Dimick
2006-09-01 15:13:24 UTC
Post by Tashi
Post by John Philip Dimick
20 years ago I had a recording of Pepe playing BWV 1004. (You know, the
Chaconne and stuff). At the time I thought it was a great recording.
But somewhere along the way I lost the recording. Every time I've tried
to find it, no one ever had it for sale. It's been out of print for a
long time.
But last week I thought I'd take another shot at finding it. After a
few hours of digging around on the Net I eventually found that it had
been rereleased in 2002. So I ordered it. It just arrived a few minutes
ago and I'm listening to it now for the first time in about 20 years.
Pepe Romero Playing Bach? Kinda like Bream playing African tribal
drums!
MT
If you're suggesting that Pepe is somehow out of his element playing
Bach, you should seriously consider getting a check-up.
Tashi
2006-09-01 15:36:23 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
Post by Tashi
Pepe Romero Playing Bach? Kinda like Bream playing African tribal
drums!
MT
If you're suggesting that Pepe is somehow out of his element playing
Bach, you should seriously consider getting a check-up.
Thanks for your concern however...... I have a clear bill of musical
health, and am not seduced by fast mindless Bacho-flamenco.
MT
Steven Bornfeld
2006-09-01 17:13:47 UTC
Post by John Philip Dimick
Post by Tashi
Post by John Philip Dimick
20 years ago I had a recording of Pepe playing BWV 1004. (You know, the
Chaconne and stuff). At the time I thought it was a great recording.
But somewhere along the way I lost the recording. Every time I've tried
to find it, no one ever had it for sale. It's been out of print for a
long time.
But last week I thought I'd take another shot at finding it. After a
few hours of digging around on the Net I eventually found that it had
been rereleased in 2002. So I ordered it. It just arrived a few minutes
ago and I'm listening to it now for the first time in about 20 years.
Pepe Romero Playing Bach? Kinda like Bream playing African tribal
drums!
MT
If you're suggesting that Pepe is somehow out of his element playing
Bach, you should seriously consider getting a check-up.
I doubt it. I'm listening right now to Bream's recordings of African
tribal drums--terrific!!

Steve
Bridge Kaldro Music-Bridge Classical guitars
2006-09-02 20:26:37 UTC
Steven Bornfeld wrote:

I took that Pepe LP out a few years ago from the main branch at
grand army plaza. .maybe it's still there.. if they still have LP's.

Ed
Steven Bornfeld
2006-09-03 00:08:46 UTC
Post by Bridge Kaldro Music-Bridge Classical guitars
I took that Pepe LP out a few years ago from the main branch at
grand army plaza. .maybe it's still there.. if they still have LP's.
Ed
I'd have to fix or buy a turntable.

Steve
John E. Golden