Looking for recommendation on a matched pair of mics for CG recording.
2019-07-03 22:59:07 UTC
Any suggestion on a matched pair of mics for CG recording with the Zoom H4-N digital recorder? I'm looking for something reasonably priced around $500.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers,

John N.
JPD
2019-07-04 00:21:02 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
Any suggestion on a matched pair of mics for CG recording with the Zoom H4-N digital recorder? I'm looking for something reasonably priced around $500.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers,
John N.
I wonder if a pair of mics, versus a single mic, adds a lot complication for minimal return when recording a solo guitar.

Something like a "Baby Bottle" mic is useful in a variety of situations and captures good audio with little hassle.

the following audio was recorded with a Baby Bottle, by someone with almost zero knowledge of how to make a good recording:

https://www.guitarist.com/antonio-ruiz-pipo-cancion-y-danza-scott-tennant/
John Nguyen
2019-07-04 02:38:04 UTC
Post by JPD
I wonder if a pair of mics, versus a single mic, adds a lot complication for minimal return when recording a solo guitar.
Something like a "Baby Bottle" mic is useful in a variety of situations and captures good audio with little hassle.
https://www.guitarist.com/antonio-ruiz-pipo-cancion-y-danza-scott-tennant/
That setup sounded really good, John! you recorded the sound separately and merged with the video post-production, or the Baby Bottle was directly fed into the ext-mic of the camcorder? I have the Baby-Blue mic that I played with several times, but the results were not so good. I wonder if the Baby Blue is tuned for vocal and podcast setup, and not for instrumental recording.
Thanks!
Steven Bornfeld
2019-07-04 17:51:53 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
Post by JPD
I wonder if a pair of mics, versus a single mic, adds a lot complication for minimal return when recording a solo guitar.
Something like a "Baby Bottle" mic is useful in a variety of situations and captures good audio with little hassle.
https://www.guitarist.com/antonio-ruiz-pipo-cancion-y-danza-scott-tennant/
That setup sounded really good, John! you recorded the sound separately and merged with the video post-production, or the Baby Bottle was directly fed into the ext-mic of the camcorder? I have the Baby-Blue mic that I played with several times, but the results were not so good. I wonder if the Baby Blue is tuned for vocal and podcast setup, and not for instrumental recording.
Thanks!
Yeah, I have absolutely no concept as to how the audio is mixed with 3
separate cameras.

Steve
JPD
2019-07-04 20:03:02 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by John Nguyen
Post by JPD
[...]
Each camera has its own audio track, so you use those to sync all three camera video streams together. The video-editing software takes care of that easily. (I use Premiere Pro.)

Once all three video streams are synced, you remove all but one of the audio tracks. So now you have three video tracks and one audio track. Now you import the audio from your Baby Bottle or whatever external mic(s) you used, and you sync that external audio track to the remaining audio track from the three cameras. Again, the video-editing software takes care of this easily.

Then you remove the camera audio track and all you have left is the external audio that is now synced to the three video tracks.

Kind of a long-winded explanation, and there's probably an easier way, but that's how I do it.
Steven Bornfeld
2019-07-07 14:34:46 UTC
Post by JPD
Each camera has its own audio track, so you use those to sync all three camera video streams together. The video-editing software takes care of that easily. (I use Premiere Pro.)
Once all three video streams are synced, you remove all but one of the audio tracks. So now you have three video tracks and one audio track. Now you import the audio from your Baby Bottle or whatever external mic(s) you used, and you sync that external audio track to the remaining audio track from the three cameras. Again, the video-editing software takes care of this easily.
Then you remove the camera audio track and all you have left is the external audio that is now synced to the three video tracks.
Kind of a long-winded explanation, and there's probably an easier way, but that's how I do it.
Thanks. If I ever have the urge to do this, I'll probably need to have
one of you guys walk me through it. I'm not an early adopter of anything.

Steve
JPD
2019-07-04 19:53:59 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
Post by JPD
I wonder if a pair of mics, versus a single mic, adds a lot complication for minimal return when recording a solo guitar.
Something like a "Baby Bottle" mic is useful in a variety of situations and captures good audio with little hassle.
https://www.guitarist.com/antonio-ruiz-pipo-cancion-y-danza-scott-tennant/
That setup sounded really good, John! you recorded the sound separately and merged with the video post-production, or the Baby Bottle was directly fed into the ext-mic of the camcorder? I have the Baby-Blue mic that I played with several times, but the results were not so good. I wonder if the Baby Blue is tuned for vocal and podcast setup, and not for instrumental recording.
Thanks!
Audio was recorded separately, then the video footage was synchronized with the audio.

I think a good pre-amp is a major factor in getting a good result from a Baby Bottle mic. I don't have any advice on what's a good pre-amp these days.

Maybe a two-mic setup is your bet bet, but I don't think it will automatically bring better results. It would be interesting to have an expert comment on the pros and cons of a two-mic vs one-mic setup. I think it's probable that the ultimate two-mic setup will get better results if you put a ton of work and money into it, but I suspect a single mic setup will get 95% of what you want with much less work and expense, plus it will be more useful in more situations. But I could be wrong.
tom g
2019-07-04 18:23:09 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
Any suggestion on a matched pair of mics for CG recording with the Zoom H4-N digital recorder? I'm looking for something reasonably priced around $500.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers,
John N.
If you can find a good acoustic, the guitar doesn't need much equipment mania if you know what to do with just 'basic' technology and maybe have some knowledge of recording software for editing.

This recording by a really wonderful young guitarist is a good example:

JPD
2019-07-04 20:05:36 UTC
http://youtu.be/7UwA8zvDcho
Right. My audio success with the Tennant video was probably due to having a good player, a good guitar, and a good room. Seriously.
wollybyrde
2019-07-05 13:19:18 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
Any suggestion on a matched pair of mics for CG recording with the Zoom H4-N digital recorder? I'm looking for something reasonably priced around $500.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers,
John N.
I don't record, but this guy does well with a simple set up

John Nguyen
2019-07-05 17:46:07 UTC
Thanks for all your input, pointers, and comments! I'll stick with the KISS principle for now and see what I can do with the current equipment/setup.
JPD
2019-07-05 21:50:46 UTC
Post by wollybyrde
Post by John Nguyen
Any suggestion on a matched pair of mics for CG recording with the Zoom H4-N digital recorder? I'm looking for something reasonably priced around $500.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers,
John N.
I don't record, but this guy does well with a simple set up http://youtu.be/5lMZP0F79Fk
Not a bad guide to using basic equipment. You should hear him play Dowland on a lute -- while singing! This is tricky stuff:

And a solo:

wollybyrde
2019-07-06 01:16:55 UTC
Post by JPD
http://youtu.be/9nsQeNBToWA
http://youtu.be/pcFgz_lNDQI
Yes, he has a degree in classical guitar, and has been posting all manner of music for 12 years or so (he's only 27). Little squirt is a damn fine arranger and player.
wollybyrde

tom g
Perfect effortless control of vocal pitch too. Alumnus of Hogwarts Conservatory of Music....?
Steven Bornfeld
2019-07-07 14:38:26 UTC
Post by JPD
Post by wollybyrde
Post by John Nguyen
Any suggestion on a matched pair of mics for CG recording with the Zoom H4-N digital recorder? I'm looking for something reasonably priced around $500.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers,
John N.
I don't record, but this guy does well with a simple set up http://youtu.be/5lMZP0F79Fk