One good thing about the new "Great Depression"
Lutemann
2008-10-10 21:07:16 UTC
If the stock market falls, at least the pop music may change. If I
never hear another white guy with an electric guitar playing over-
arranged diatonic folk songs while moaning into a mike (playing rock
music), it will be too soon. The rock era has gone on for 25 years too
long. Maybe social upheaval will make it go away.
Augustine
2008-10-10 22:56:52 UTC
If the stock market falls, at least the pop music may change.  If I
never hear another white guy with an electric guitar playing over-
arranged diatonic folk songs while moaning into a mike (playing rock
music), it will be too soon. The rock era has gone on for 25 years too
long.  Maybe social upheaval will make it go away.
For once I can say it: I almost completely agree with you! "Almost"
because it's actually gone on for about 55 years too long.
e***@yahoo.com
Mr. judgmental, with emphasis in mental.
Augustine
2008-10-11 04:22:55 UTC
Post by e***@yahoo.com
Mr. judgmental, with emphasis in mental.
Haven't you just doubly judged me? That is, as both judgmental and
nuts? Explain.
e***@yahoo.com
2008-10-11 05:50:29 UTC
No. You have a closed mind.
Augustine
2008-10-11 14:48:24 UTC
Post by Augustine
Post by e***@yahoo.com
Mr. judgmental, with emphasis in mental.
Haven't you just doubly judged me? That is, as both judgmental and
nuts? Explain.
No.  You have a closed mind.
And there's yet a third judgment. Allan Bloom was right: the law of
non-contradiction has been repealed. He was also right about this:

"There is one thing a professor can be absolutely certain of: almost
every student entering the university believes, or says he believes,
that truth is relative....Relativism is necessary to openness, and
this is the virtue, the only virtue, which all primary education for
more than fifty years has dedicated itself to inculcating....To put
the matter at its baldest, we live in a thought-world, and the
thinking has gone very bad indeed."

-Allan Bloom, The Closing of the American Mind
Steven Bornfeld
I have another title for that book. "The Whining of an American Mind"
Augustine
2008-10-11 17:18:05 UTC
I have another title for that book.  "The Whining of an American Mind"
Read it, have you? Tell the truth.
Miguel de Maria
2008-10-11 15:13:49 UTC
Post by Augustine
Post by Augustine
Post by e***@yahoo.com
Mr. judgmental, with emphasis in mental.
Haven't you just doubly judged me? That is, as both judgmental and
nuts? Explain.
No.  You have a closed mind.
And there's yet a third judgment. Allan Bloom was right: the law of
"There is one thing a professor can be absolutely certain of: almost
every student entering the university believes, or says he believes,
that truth is relative....Relativism is necessary to openness, and
this is the virtue, the only virtue, which all primary education for
more than fifty years has dedicated itself to inculcating....To put
the matter at its baldest, we live in a thought-world, and the
thinking has gone very bad indeed."
-Allan Bloom, The Closing of the American Mind
Jackson,
I hope you don't mind me bothering you--I just wanted to congratulate
you on your repartee. You are just cutting poor Ed to shreds! I
wouldn't want to be on the other side of that well-honed epee. Your
erudition, wisdom, and creativity are on display with each brutal
thrust! With one sentence, you convey more brilliance than a million
of our sloppy, dull dronings. We must follow your links, attempt to
understand your pithy words, and somehow use this to elevate ourselves
above the mediocrity of modern life. Thank you, Great One!
Augustine
2008-10-11 17:23:44 UTC
Post by Miguel de Maria
Post by Augustine
Post by Augustine
Post by e***@yahoo.com
[...]
In other words, you approve of that half-educated nitwit constantly
railing against "the Neo-Conservatives" without having read a single
"Neo-Conservative" work. That's all you needed to say. You're birds of
a feather.
Miguel de Maria
2008-10-11 18:58:38 UTC
Post by Augustine
Post by Miguel de Maria
Post by Augustine
Post by Augustine
Post by e***@yahoo.com
[...]
a feather.- Hide quoted text -
Ah, another unkind, unblockable thrust--you have blasted me aside with
your cruel, yet so true, words as if I were nothing! Not a fair
fight, is it, but one must play the cards he is dealt...
Jonathan
I'm curious to hear one of your absolute truths to prove your point.
Augustine
2008-10-11 23:21:42 UTC
Post by Jonathan
I'm curious to hear one of your absolute truths to prove your point.
Here's one:

There are absolute truths.
d***@gmail.com
2008-10-11 23:44:58 UTC
Name one?
John R.
2008-10-11 23:54:34 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by Augustine
Post by Jonathan
I'm curious to hear one of your absolute truths to prove your point.
There are absolute truths.
Name one?
Absolute zero!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

John
Jonathan
2008-10-13 13:58:47 UTC
Post by John R.
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by Augustine
Post by Jonathan
I'm curious to hear one of your absolute truths to prove your point.
There are absolute truths.
Name one?
Absolute zero!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero
John
I'm not sure if that's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but it seems to me
that slapping a label on an empirical phenomenon hardly qualifies as
"truth."
I would think that "truth" in the great philosophical tradition would
have to contain some degree of meaning.

And at the end of the day, once you boil away all the obfuscation an