How to get better
Add Reply
Michael Kim
2020-02-03 02:30:16 UTC
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord that
I need a long time to grab.

I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
Fat Donnie
Yes, don't "grab" It might get you in trouble
Steven Bornfeld
2020-02-03 15:29:29 UTC
Post by Fat Donnie
Post by Michael Kim
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord that
I need a long time to grab.
I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
Yes, don't "grab" It might get you in trouble
I think the jazz guys speak of "grips". For us old guys the "grip" is
kinda like influenza, but I haven't heard that usage in years.
Are "grips" any safer than "grabs"?
Michael Kim
2020-02-03 20:38:51 UTC
Post by Fat Donnie
Post by Michael Kim
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord that
I need a long time to grab.
I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
Yes, don't "grab" It might get you in trouble
I don't understand. Did you mean I used the wrong English word for
placing the fingers on the strings?

My question was if it was possible to place the fingers at the right
location without needing to look at the fingerboard.
Steven Bornfeld
2020-02-03 20:42:22 UTC
Post by Michael Kim
Post by Fat Donnie
Post by Michael Kim
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord that
I need a long time to grab.
I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
Yes, don't "grab" It might get you in trouble
I don't understand. Did you mean I used the wrong English word for
placing the fingers on the strings?
My question was if it was possible to place the fingers at the right
location without needing to look at the fingerboard.
I can't speak for others. I usually will start off looking at the
fingerboard to establish my position. Then, for the most part, I will be
OK without frequent checks unless there are major changes in position up
and down the neck.
My uncertainty is that glancing at the fingerboard is usually very brief
and automatic, so I'm not really thinking about it.

Steve
Fat Donnie
Grab implies that you're wildly grasping for a cord. Do it slowly and deliberately at first, until it becomes natural. Nothing wrong with watching you fingers, especially in a difficult passage.
Ken Blake
2020-02-04 14:55:52 UTC
Post by Michael Kim
Post by Fat Donnie
Post by Michael Kim
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord that
I need a long time to grab.
I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
Yes, don't "grab" It might get you in trouble
I don't understand. Did you mean I used the wrong English word for
placing the fingers on the strings?
My question was if it was possible to place the fingers at the right
location without needing to look at the fingerboard.
So if you are asking whether it's possible to form the shape of the
chord with your fingers in the air before placing them on the
fingerboard, The answer is a conditional yes. It's usually the best way
to form a chord.

The reason it's a "conditional" yes is that it's easy to do that if you
aren't changing positions. For example, switching from a first position
G major chord to a first position C or D7 and back again without looking
at the fingerboard is very easy. But changing positions without looking
at the fingerboard is much harder, especially if the positions are far
apart, even if the chord shape is the same. For example if you are
playing a first position barred F chord and want to switch to an eighth
position barred C chord, it's a good idea to glance at the fingerboard.
I can probably do it without looking nine times out of ten, but every
once in a while, if I don't look, I'll miss.

On the other hand there are blind players who can play very well without
ever looking at the fingerboard.
Ken
Michael Kim
2020-02-04 15:50:51 UTC
Thank you Steven and Ken. Your answers helped a lot! So even experienced
players look at the fingerboard occasionally! I think I can imagine how
it is going to be like now if I continue practicing for many years...
Gerry
2020-02-03 22:52:48 UTC
Post by Michael Kim
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord
that I need a long time to grab.
I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
A very good and a very simple question, Michael. You need a real
teacher, sitting in a room together with your guitars, to answe all the
*many* simple questions the average guitarist needs answered. It will
save you massive amounts of time.

Yes, you can grab chords everywhere with your eyes shut in a darm room
eventually. This will be the byproduct of your practice and study, not
the goal.
John
2020-02-04 18:44:04 UTC
Post by Gerry
You need a real
teacher, sitting in a room together with your guitars, to answe all the
*many* simple questions the average guitarist needs answered. It will
save you massive amounts of time.
Very good advice. In addition to saving massive amounts of time, it will save you the massive frustration of having to un-learn bad habits you picked up when trying to teach yourself.

John R.

dsi1
2020-02-04 15:50:50 UTC
Post by Michael Kim
I just started learning to play the guitar. There is this one chord that
I need a long time to grab.
I want to ask if I will be able to grab chords without looking at the
fingerboard at some point. Should I practice with that as my goal?
Most new players like to practice looking at the fretboard when playing. Your best bet is to avoid practicing like that from the start.