OT: YoYo Ma and the Bach Cello Suites
Richard F. Sayage
2004-09-01 23:50:33 UTC
Gotdam, I just had the good fortune to hear YoYo Ma perform Cello Suites
1 and 6. Any other recommendations on other cellists performing this series
of work? Thank you much. Just looking for other perspectives and tastes.
I've heard a few others, but this was darn good. I heard them years ago,
you know the old massive double LP, so it's been a while for YoYo and me. I
think these versions were done in the late 90's and I think he's gotten much
better. If that's an understatement, I understand. :-)

Rich
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com

Remove ZEROSPAM to reply...thx

http://www.orphee.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
http://www.savageclassical.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
Greg M. Silverman
Casals...
Richard F. Sayage
2004-09-02 00:34:28 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Gotdam, I just had the good fortune to hear YoYo Ma perform Cello
Suites 1 and 6. Any other recommendations on other cellists performing
this series of work? Thank you much. Just looking for other
perspectives and tastes. I've heard a few others, but this was darn good.
I heard them years ago, you know the old massive double LP, so it's been
a while for YoYo and me. I think these versions were done in the late
90's and I think he's gotten much better. If that's an understatement, I
understand. :-)
Casals...
Hey Greg,

Yes and no. A lot of feeling, but not to my taste. I don't think he
suffered from a bad instrument. The recordings at the time were not the
best, granted, but the technique, and here I mean the "whole package", just
doesn't seem to be there. We have to give him the pioneering award, but
well....well there it is. My opinion is all. I have them and had them for
a long while.
Granted, YoYo seemed to slip up here and there, but overall, very clean,
tasty, nice.

Feel better soon,
Rich
John Wasak
2004-09-02 03:56:04 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
The recordings at the time were not the
best, granted,
But the recordings on the Naxos Historical sounds better than those older
discs (EMI?)

jw

Now Playing:
Rich
Greg M. Silverman
2004-09-02 15:03:40 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Richard F. Sayage
[...]
Rich,
Wel, hell I LOVE the Casals, much more than the Ma.
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Granted, YoYo seemed to slip up here and there, but overall, very clean,
tasty, nice.
As long as no one gets hurt, I s'pose.

What about the Anner Bylsma? I've hearrd him do several of these and
liked them a lot? There's also his student, whose name escapes me, but I
liked what he did as well. Bach on cellos with gut strings. Ahhhhhh,
BLISS, SWEET BLISS!

And then i've also heard some cat play these on viola de gamba with much
success? WTF is his name! Arrghh! Early signs of Alzheimer's setting in!
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Feel better soon,
You too man! BTW, I started voice lessons last night. I'm pretty
freaking good, surprisingly! Lots of fun with the Ahhhs and the Ooohs
and the Uuuhhhs and the Eeeeees...

PEace be with you!

gms--
La belle homicide
2004-09-02 22:31:25 UTC
"Greg M. Silverman"
Post by Greg M. Silverman
And then i've also heard some cat play these on viola de gamba with much
success? WTF is his name! Arrghh! Early signs of Alzheimer's setting in!
Paolo Pandolfo? He plays a good version of the Suite BWV 995/1011:
http://www.jsbach.org/pandolfosonatasforvioladagambaandharpsichord.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000634WD/qid=1094164082/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0402649-2911316?v=glance&s=classical

Lucrezia
Richard F. Sayage
2004-09-04 12:44:22 UTC
Post by La belle homicide
"Greg M. Silverman"
Post by Greg M. Silverman
And then i've also heard some cat play these on viola de gamba with much
success? WTF is his name! Arrghh! Early signs of Alzheimer's setting in!
http://www.jsbach.org/pandolfosonatasforvioladagambaandharpsichord.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000634WD/qid=1094164082/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0402649-2911316?v=glance&s=classical
Lucrezia
Hi Lucrezia,

Very good stuff. I'm looking into more of Paolo. Thank you much.

Rich
La belle homicide
2004-09-04 19:16:20 UTC
"Richard F. Sayage" ha scritto nel messaggio
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Hi Lucrezia,
Very good stuff. I'm looking into more of Paolo. Thank you much.
I've found another good rendition on viola da gamba of the same work:
http://tinyurl.com/4wjsh

Best regards,
Lucrezia
Greg M. Silverman
2004-09-04 19:21:01 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Hi Lucrezia,
Very good stuff. I'm looking into more of Paolo. Thank you much.
http://tinyurl.com/4wjsh
This was the one I heard.

gms--
Edward Bridge
2004-09-02 01:33:50 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Gotdam, I just had the good fortune to hear YoYo Ma perform Cello Suites
1 and 6. Any other recommendations on other cellists performing this series
of work? Thank you much. Just looking for other perspectives and tastes.
I've heard a few others, but this was darn good. I heard them years ago,
you know the old massive double LP, so it's been a while for YoYo and me. I
think these versions were done in the late 90's and I think he's gotten much
better. If that's an understatement, I understand. :-)
Casals...
I have both recordings and a littel point I would like to say is. ..
THERE"S WAS NO FUCKING EDITING, PUNCH INS, YAD YAD AUDIO CRAP WHEN CASALS
PLAY _THE_ SUITES.. ..there I'm done ,back to cleaning up this messing
house and lead a simple life in my little cute town ..he he ..
Ed :>)
William Jennings
2004-09-02 01:33:27 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
I have both recordings and a littel point I would like to say is. ..
THERE"S WAS NO FUCKING EDITING, PUNCH INS, YAD YAD AUDIO CRAP WHEN CASALS
PLAY _THE_ SUITES.. ..there I'm done ,back to cleaning up this messing
house and lead a simple life in my little cute town ..he he ..
Ed :>)
Ohmmmmm, I gonna' tell................. you said fucking. They're going
to wash your mouth out with Smite! This is September and RMCG Etiquette
month.

P.S. You're dead fucking right!
Edward Bridge
2004-09-02 11:54:09 UTC
Post by William Jennings
Ohmmmmm, I gonna' tell................. you said fucking.
I can't say bad words in my house (wife) I can't at RMCG (RMCG Etiquette). .
. .man oh man

They're going
Post by William Jennings
to wash your mouth out with Smite! This is September and RMCG Etiquette
month.
Etiqutte, what's that ? I don't know if we have that in Brooklyn

About to pass out
Peace
Ed

PS We should start a thead about great recordings before 1955, I'm sure
RMCG has already but . .
John Wasak
2004-09-02 03:49:32 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Richard F. Sayage
think these versions were done in the late 90's and I think he's
gotten
Post by Richard F. Sayage
much
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Richard F. Sayage
better. If that's an understatement, I understand. :-)
Casals...
I have both recordings and a littel point I would like to say is. ..
THERE"S WAS NO FUCKING EDITING, PUNCH INS, YAD YAD AUDIO CRAP WHEN CASALS
PLAY _THE_ SUITES.. ..there I'm done ,back to cleaning up this messing
house and lead a simple life in my little cute town ..he he ..
Ed :>)
Fully understanding your point about Casals here, and certainly not meaning
to take anything away from him here, but one does need to also take into
account things like Casals recorded the suites with a big time lag,
recording only two of the suites in November 1936, then another two in June
1938, and another two in June 1939. Compare that to, let's say, the cellist
I mentioned in another post, Pieter Wispelwey - he recorded all six suites
in one single month and year (January 1998).

And in fact, in a feat much more impressive, back in April 2003, Wispelwey
played a concert of all six Bach cello suites in a single evening on the
stage at Alice Tully Hall and then the following morning showed up on the
stage of the Walter Reade Theater to play the three cello suites of Benjamin
Britten. I wonder if Casals could have managed that....

jw
Edward Bridge
2004-09-02 13:50:18 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage