Sore fingers
r***@gmail.com
2020-03-07 11:37:52 UTC
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Matt Faunce
2020-03-07 16:12:17 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH
fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat
in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Hmmmm. What the physiological difference is, that causes more or less
soreness, is a good question.

Do you play guitar for the same amount of time every day?
robert Norton
I only play for about one hour each day- usually at dawn. It usually affects what Americans call the "pinkie" but the others to some extent. I'd probably practice more if the fingers weren't tender. Doesn't stop the enjoyment though!
Matt Faunce
2020-03-09 15:06:57 UTC
Post by robert Norton
Post by Matt Faunce
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH
fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat
in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Hmmmm. What the physiological difference is, that causes more or less
soreness, is a good question.
Do you play guitar for the same amount of time every day?
I only play for about one hour each day- usually at dawn. It usually
affects what Americans call the "pinkie" but the others to some extent.
I'd probably practice more if the fingers weren't tender. Doesn't stop
the enjoyment though!
Oh. I sometimes get sore fingertips, but only after I play for an unusual
length of time as compared with my daily norm. I think that’s normal, but
it’s hard for me to tell how my level of soreness compares with someone
else’s.

I do know that sometime after I passed 36 years old or so I noticed that my
bruises and sprains weren’t healing as fast as they did when I was a
teenager.

<shrug>
Post by robert Norton
Doesn't stop the enjoyment though!
That’s good. In fact that’s, by far, the most important thing. Back when I
used to teach I would tell my students to never lose sight of the beauty of
a simple chord or melody and the pleasure it gives.
Gerry
2020-03-10 01:56:26 UTC
Post by robert Norton
Post by Matt Faunce
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH
fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat
in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Hmmmm. What the physiological difference is, that causes more or less
soreness, is a good question.>> Do you play guitar for the same amount
of time every day?
I only play for about one hour each day- usually at dawn. It usually
affects what Americans call the "pinkie" but the others to some extent.
I'd probably practice more if the fingers weren't tender. Doesn't stop
the enjoyment though!
Does it feel more like muscle pain or nerve pain. Is it *only* in the
finger tip where it makes contact with the string? Has this gone on
for a long time, or just over, say, the last few weeks?
r***@gmail.com
r***@gmail.com
r***@gmail.com
Gerry
2020-03-20 23:07:57 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH
fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat
in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Hmmmm. What the physiological difference is, that causes more or less
soreness, is a good question.>> Do you play guitar for the same amount>
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Matt Faunce
of time every day?
I only play for about one hour each day- usually at dawn. It usually> >
affects what Americans call the "pinkie" but the others to some
extent.> > I'd probably practice more if the fingers weren't tender.
Doesn't stop> > the enjoyment though!
Does it feel more like muscle pain or nerve pain. Is it *only* in the>
finger tip where it makes contact with the string? Has this gone on>
for a long time, or just over, say, the last few weeks?
Hmm. You put out three blanks in a row.

robert Norton
Defo not diabetes- though i'm 82 I'm as fit as a fiddle
Steven Bornfeld
2020-03-08 13:41:45 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Haven't looked into this; but I remember seeing a discussion years ago
about diabetics developing sore fingers. Can't imagine what the
mechanism may be here. Since so many of us are developing type 2
diabetes as we get older, it may be a consideration if you've developed it.

Steve
Gerry
2020-03-08 23:16:19 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH
fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less
fat in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
Haven't looked into this; but I remember seeing a discussion years ago
about diabetics developing sore fingers. Can't imagine what the
mechanism may be here. Since so many of us are developing type 2
diabetes as we get older, it may be a consideration if you've developed it.
I would counsel with a doctor. On at least two occasions I pressed hard
with a finger tip, on both occasions my third, and got a sharp,
needle-like pain. It continued for over a week, so I avoided playing,
but eventually it dissappeared. It was really painful--and note that I
had solid calluses. I carped about it on rmmgj but got no substative
input on the topic. Note this was on steel string, flat-wrap strings,
12's.

On other occasions I've had a sharp pain in both my 1st and 3rd, but it
didn't continue, or if it did it was only for a short while, and was
gone the following day.

Fortunately I have no diabetic or pre-diabetic condition.

On the other hand, "fingers that are sore a lot of the time" might be
anything, certainly including arthritis, depending on what "sore"
means. Reference to finger-tips makes me guess it isn't joint pain
Robert is speaking of.
Steven Bornfeld
2020-03-09 16:39:42 UTC
Post by Gerry
[...]
That sharp pain--I've had something I'd describe the same way. Didn't
last though. I'm not diabetic either--yet.
Matt Faunce
2020-03-10 04:44:25 UTC
Post by Gerry
I would counsel with a doctor. On at least two occasions I pressed hard
with a finger tip, on both occasions my third, and got a sharp,
needle-like pain. It continued for over a week, so I avoided playing,
but eventually it dissappeared. It was really painful--and note that I
had solid calluses. I carped about it on rmmgj but got no substative
input on the topic. Note this was on steel string, flat-wrap strings,
12's.
On other occasions I've had a sharp pain in both my 1st and 3rd, but it
didn't continue, or if it did it was only for a short while, and was
gone the following day.
I get those sometimes. Back when I worked in a tool shop I’d occasionally
get a metal sliver in my finger, and let me tell you, touching your finger
with that in it is painful! Since having that job, whenever I get the
needle-like pain from guitar playing I always think that it’s a very small
metal sliver from a bass string—not a piece of wire, but a micro shaving
from a single wire which you wouldn’t be able to see is missing from the
string. I’m pretty sure it comes more often when I’m playing glissandi on
the bass strings.
2020-03-08 21:01:17 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I’m one of the older guys on RCMP’s. Been looking in since 1980s. My LH fingers are sore a lot of the time. Someone said this is due to less fat in finger-tips due to age. Anyone else affected like this? Rob
My fingers might get sore if I played more. These days I don't play much at all. My nails are getting brittle too. They just break all the time. I could improve the situation by simply playing a lot more to develop tougher calluses and strengthen my nails. It does take a lot of time to grow out stronger, tougher, nails though. There ain't no quick fix for that.