GFA 2020 live streaming
tom g
2020-06-23 12:45:25 UTC

Schedule here:

https://www.guitarfoundation.org/page/2020ConventionLiveStreamSchedule

Excellent!
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-23 15:46:16 UTC
Post by tom g
http://youtu.be/CQhjAca3qo4
https://www.guitarfoundation.org/page/2020ConventionLiveStreamSchedule
Excellent!
Thank you!

C.
d***@yahoo.ca
2020-06-26 11:39:05 UTC
Post by tom g
http://youtu.be/CQhjAca3qo4
https://www.guitarfoundation.org/page/2020ConventionLiveStreamSchedule
Excellent!
Thanks for this. Watched some of the competition last night. Some great playing, but the variation in room acoustics between performers was enormous and distracting. I'm assuming the judges have been instructed not to take this into account - this seems like an impossible task.
tom g
2020-06-26 13:29:22 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.ca
Post by tom g
http://youtu.be/CQhjAca3qo4
https://www.guitarfoundation.org/page/2020ConventionLiveStreamSchedule
Excellent!
Thanks for this. Watched some of the competition last night. Some great playing, but the variation in room acoustics between performers was enormous and distracting. I'm assuming the judges have been instructed not to take this into account - this seems like an impossible task.
Yes, I agree, it makes judging more difficult although not impossible. The previous Barrios internet competition had a similar problem but even so it was successful.
The habit of performers to make facial contortions is reaching critical mass - maybe that should cost marks!
As for the other videos, you have to dig about a lot to find what interests you, even with the schedule.
Steven Bornfeld
2020-06-26 21:21:50 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by d***@yahoo.ca
Post by tom g
http://youtu.be/CQhjAca3qo4
https://www.guitarfoundation.org/page/2020ConventionLiveStreamSchedule
Excellent!
Thanks for this. Watched some of the competition last night. Some great playing, but the variation in room acoustics between performers was enormous and distracting. I'm assuming the judges have been instructed not to take this into account - this seems like an impossible task.
Yes, I agree, it makes judging more difficult although not impossible. The previous Barrios internet competition had a similar problem but even so it was successful.
The habit of performers to make facial contortions is reaching critical mass - maybe that should cost marks!
As for the other videos, you have to dig about a lot to find what interests you, even with the schedule.
Maybe, but "guitar face" is a hallowed tradition!

Steve
tom g
2020-06-26 22:00:35 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by tom g
Post by d***@yahoo.ca
Post by tom g
http://youtu.be/CQhjAca3qo4
https://www.guitarfoundation.org/page/2020ConventionLiveStreamSchedule
Excellent!
Thanks for this. Watched some of the competition last night. Some great playing, but the variation in room acoustics between performers was enormous and distracting. I'm assuming the judges have been instructed not to take this into account - this seems like an impossible task.
Yes, I agree, it makes judging more difficult although not impossible. The previous Barrios internet competition had a similar problem but even so it was successful.
The habit of performers to make facial contortions is reaching critical mass - maybe that should cost marks!
As for the other videos, you have to dig about a lot to find what interests you, even with the schedule.
Maybe, but "guitar face" is a hallowed tradition!
Steve
The prime exemplar has now retired and his contortions were unique to him. Some of the younger players are much worse, and only succeed in appearing emotionally insecure, as if they don't believe that their performance is enough to transmit their musical sensitivity. Well, often it is not! I don't want to see the sensitivity, I want to hear it.
Surely most musicians prefer to listen without the visual distraction of these contortions? At the end of the day, it is just unprofessional and sooner or later someone will begin to award an 'MQ' (Mugging Quotient) between 1 and 10 to the worst offending guitar videos on YouTube....OK, I know that I can listen without watching these players but why I must make that choice?
OMG, I'm sounding like an old 'mezquino' - well, sorry about that!
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-27 01:38:55 UTC
Post by tom g
The prime exemplar has now retired and his contortions were unique to him. Some of the younger players are much worse, and only succeed in appearing emotionally insecure, as if they don't believe that their performance is enough to transmit their musical sensitivity. Well, often it is not! I don't want to see the sensitivity, I want to hear it.
Surely most musicians prefer to listen without the visual distraction of these contortions? At the end of the day, it is just unprofessional and sooner or later someone will begin to award an 'MQ' (Mugging Quotient) between 1 and 10 to the worst offending guitar videos on YouTube....OK, I know that I can listen without watching these players but why I must make that choice?
OMG, I'm sounding like an old 'mezquino' - well, sorry about that!
+1

C.
Steven Bornfeld
2020-06-27 16:48:06 UTC
Post by tom g
The prime exemplar has now retired and his contortions were unique to him. Some of the younger players are much worse, and only succeed in appearing emotionally insecure, as if they don't believe that their performance is enough to transmit their musical sensitivity. Well, often it is not! I don't want to see the sensitivity, I want to hear it.
Surely most musicians prefer to listen without the visual distraction of these contortions? At the end of the day, it is just unprofessional and sooner or later someone will begin to award an 'MQ' (Mugging Quotient) between 1 and 10 to the worst offending guitar videos on YouTube....OK, I know that I can listen without watching these players but why I must make that choice?
OMG, I'm sounding like an old 'mezquino' - well, sorry about that!
I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't know to whom you are referring.
Many pianists vocalize in one way or another (both classical and jazz);
some have piano face too.
I've heard Parkening grunt on his recordings; I can't say offhand I've
noticed any others. Violinists? I'm sure there are, I'd say Nadia
Salerno-Sonnenberg was pretty famous for it.
I certainly agree with you that tics, faces, noises can be distracting.

Learnwell
2020-06-27 19:33:33 UTC
Bream.
tom g
2020-06-27 19:33:34 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by tom g
[...]
Then it seems that I have watched many more classical guitar videos than you. (Do you ever watch the videos on the Siccasguitars and GSI websites?) There is one outstanding example among the GFA contestants, maybe more, but I'm not going to accuse anyone publicly in the hope that, with experience, they will.........'grow up'!!
Strangely, noises don't distract me so much, it's the "histrionics" that I don't like. Most of the best young musicians don't permit them. The brilliant young Russian pianist Alexander Malofeev is, for me, a perfect performer' with all the dignity that such an amazing talent deserves. Example here:

I think he was only 16 when he recorded this.
Andrew Schulman
2020-06-27 22:40:45 UTC
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 3:33:36 PM UTC-4, tom g wrote:
The brilliant young Russian pianist Alexander Malofeev is, for me, a perfect performer' with all the dignity that such an amazing talent deserves. Example here: http://youtu.be/guLUZVl6tvs
Post by tom g
I think he was only 16 when he recorded this.
Wonderful music making.

2020-06-28 16:50:59 UTC
Post by tom g
Then it seems that I have watched many more classical guitar videos than you. (Do you ever watch the videos on the Siccasguitars and GSI websites?) There is one outstanding example among the GFA contestants, maybe more, but I'm not going to accuse anyone publicly in the hope that, with experience, they will.........'grow up'!!
Strangely, noises don't distract me so much, it's the "histrionics" that I don't like. Most of the best young musicians don't permit them. The brilliant young Russian pianist Alexander Malofeev is, for me, a perfect performer' with all the dignity that such an amazing talent deserves. Example here: http://youtu.be/guLUZVl6tvs
I think he was only 16 when he recorded this.
That's terrific--thanks for posting.
You probably do watch more Siccasguitars videos than I do.

d***@yahoo.ca
2020-06-28 20:34:06 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by tom g
[...]
I only watched the competition on one day, but maybe you are talking about the Italian participant, who used his face a lot. I thought his playing was exceptional (e.g., stunningly clean left hand work). But, who knows, the acoustics were relatively good and also this:

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/11/musical
JPD
2020-06-30 21:55:24 UTC
"Surely most musicians prefer to listen without the visual distraction of these contortions?"

If that's true, they can simply close their eyes. Instead, they complain about what they see, not what they hear.
tom g
2020-07-01 01:49:12 UTC
Post by JPD
"Surely most musicians prefer to listen without the visual distraction of these contortions?"
If that's true, they can simply close their eyes. Instead, they complain about what they see, not what they hear.
I'm sure that sometimes that is true, assuming that what they see and what they hear coincide in the first place. The MQ is most annoying when there is no correspondence.
It's possible that some high MQ guitaristst are hearing the music idealised in their head and not what their fingers are actually playing.
Sometimes tics and contortions serve a purpose by diminishing nervousness. I heard that once from a US singer/songwriter who probably had the highest MQ in the history of the genre!