OT: What Are Your Two Favorite Comic Strips?
2009-05-14 05:25:33 UTC

#1 - Brewster Rockit

#2 - Pearls Before Swine

2009-05-14 05:46:58 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
2009-05-14 11:02:45 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
2009-05-14 11:28:33 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
I'll go old school on you and say:

1) Pogo
2) The Far Side

JonLorPro
2009-05-14 13:14:04 UTC
Post by h***@verizon.net
1) Pogo
2) The Far Side
You got there before me with my favorite of all time. What occurred
to me first for second place is "Calvin and Hobbes".

Alas! Neither is available anymore.

Here's something from Walt Kelly (he of "Pogo") that actually winds up
having guitar content:

Doze

We have been watching buttercups
As they in stealth do steal,
'Round the heart and through the mind,
Leaving logic, weaving blind
through Beauty's song and wonder kind-
Strumming on the strings of steel,
that bind this life- that bind.
Curmudgeon
2009-05-14 13:48:26 UTC
Post by h***@verizon.net
1) Pogo
2) The Far Side
You got there before me with my favorite of all time.  What occurred
to me first for second place is "Calvin and Hobbes".
 Alas!  Neither is available anymore.
Here's something from Walt Kelly (he of "Pogo") that actually winds up
Doze
We have been watching buttercups
As they in stealth do steal,
'Round the heart and through the mind,
Leaving logic, weaving blind
through Beauty's song and wonder kind-
Strumming on the strings of steel,
 that bind this life- that bind.
But no guitar content that I can recall in

...Ma Boonie lice over devotion,
Ma Boonie lice over DC...

Or

...Good King Sauerkraut looked out
on his feets uneven...

I used to have the LP "Songs of the Pogo" but it got lost in a move
years ago, along with a lute that I was building from a kit that was
about half finished. Never did get back to that project...
JonLorPro
2009-05-14 14:01:51 UTC
Post by Curmudgeon
But no guitar content that I can recall in
...Ma Boonie lice over devotion,
Ma Boonie lice over DC...
"...McBoniface rover commotion..."

nope, no guitar there.
Post by Curmudgeon
Or
...Good King Sauerkraut looked out
on his feets uneven...
So, what's snoo?

Years ago my wife and I had a regular gig doing music for an odd sort
of church- every year at Christmas we had them all doing "Deck us all
with Boston Charlie"
John Nguyen
2009-05-14 16:14:29 UTC
You got there before me with my favorite of all time.  What occurred
to me first for second place is "Calvin and Hobbes".
Calvin and Hobles would also be my sencond choice.
Cheers,

2009-05-14 15:22:01 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
Andrew
1) Pogo
2) The Far Side
If I listed 4 favorites, the two I would add if they were still being
made, would include The Far Side as #4. My all-time favorite comic
strip, ever, was Calvin and Hobbes. I was distraught when the final
strip ran on Sunday, December 31, 1995.

Andrew
Mark & Steven Bornfeld
2009-05-14 16:53:52 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
Andrew
1) Pogo
2) The Far Side
Old Village Voice strips: Life in Hell by Matt Groening, and Washingoon
by Alan Mark Stamaty.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
Andrew Schulman
2009-05-14 17:10:50 UTC
On May 14, 12:53 pm, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld
Old Village Voice strips: Life in Hell by Matt Groening, and Washingoon
by Alan Mark Stamaty.
Yes, great ones! And of course the legendary Jules Feiffer.

2009-05-14 11:43:02 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
Andrew
The Peanuts.
edspyhill01
2009-05-14 12:38:03 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
Andrew
Non-sequitur

Pearls before swine (Did you see the three days rat was talking
Yiddish?)
Andrew Schulman
2009-05-14 15:33:07 UTC
Post by edspyhill01
Non-sequitur
Yes, excellent.
Post by edspyhill01
Pearls before swine  (Did you see the three days rat was talking
Yiddish?)
Yes, that little chaye is not exactly a gitte neshomah but he sure was
komisch!

Andrew
Tommy Grand
2009-05-14 12:40:28 UTC
#1 - Brewster Rockithttp://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/tmrkt/2009/05/12/
#2 - Pearls Before Swinehttp://comics.com/affiliate/washington_post/?ComicID=70
Andrew
Whatever they have in the New Yorker.
Andrew Schulman
2009-05-14 15:33:31 UTC
Post by Tommy Grand
Whatever they have in the New Yorker.
Yes!

Andrew
m***@mac.com
2009-05-14 17:08:58 UTC
On May 13, 11:25 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
wrote:

"The Adventures Of Andy Pandy and the Pandy Poo Gang" right here on
this station.

MT
William D Clinger
2009-05-15 00:35:49 UTC
Great question, Andrew. There have been too many
great strips for me to pick just one from rmcg, but
my non-rmcg favorites are pretty easy to rank:

#1. The Far Side: "God at His Computer."
#2. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
starts with "Faster, faster!"
#3. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
starts "It's true, Hobbes. Ignorance *is* bliss."

Although #2 and #3 were published about a year apart,
one was something of a sequel to the other (I forget
which), so I didn't want to list just one of them.

Obligatory guitar content: I once sang "Long Time
Travelling" at a church service in an alternating
duet with the associate minister, with both of us
playing guitar. The head minister of that church
told me he kept a copy of strip #1 on his office
desk to remind him of what he was up against.

Will
Andrew Schulman
2009-05-15 04:50:08 UTC
Great question, Andrew.  There have been too many
great strips for me to pick just one from rmcg...
Yes, looking at the RMCG yesterday made me think of comic strips...
#1. The Far Side:  "God at His Computer."
Yes, a classic.

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/cartoons30.html

When I lived in Seattle one of my apartments was near where he
worked. Sadly, I never met him.
#2. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
    starts with "Faster, faster!"
#3. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
    starts "It's true, Hobbes.  Ignorance *is* bliss."
I remember both. Anyway, I have all the published collections and
saved quite a few from the newspaper. Never get tired of them.
Obligatory guitar content:  I once sang "Long Time
Travelling" at a church service in an alternating
duet with the associate minister, with both of us
playing guitar.  The head minister of that church
told me he kept a copy of strip #1 on his office
desk to remind him of what he was up against.
Good idea...

Andrew
Slogoin
2009-05-15 05:04:20 UTC
#1. The Far Side:  "God at His Computer."
Yes, a classic.
http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/cartoons30.html
When I lived in Seattle one of my apartments was near where he
worked.  Sadly, I never met him.
Hmmmmm...

http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html
Alain Reiher
2009-05-16 01:47:19 UTC
#1. The Far Side: "God at His Computer."
Yes, a classic.

#2. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
starts with "Faster, faster!"
#3. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
starts "It's true, Hobbes. Ignorance *is* bliss."
I remember both. Anyway, I have all the published collections and
saved quite a few from the newspaper. Never get tired of them.
Obligatory guitar content: I once sang "Long Time
Travelling" at a church service in an alternating
duet with the associate minister, with both of us
playing guitar. The head minister of that church
told me he kept a copy of strip #1 on his office
desk to remind him of what he was up against.
Good idea...

Andrew
====================================
Do you mean comic strips published in newspaper? If yes I have none ... but
if you include in that comic books ... ha! That's a different story ... on
top of my list Gaston Lagaffe with a lot of seconds, Fred, Bretecher,
Achille Talon, Tintin, asterix etc.

Obligatory zguitar content: I was playing the other night and my D string
broke unexpectedly ... I must have been in the zone because it scared the
hell out of me. Zzzzzztac!

Alain
Andrew Schulman
2009-05-16 15:49:31 UTC
#1. The Far Side: "God at His Computer."
Yes, a classic.
#2. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
starts with "Faster, faster!"
#3. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
starts "It's true, Hobbes. Ignorance *is* bliss."
I remember both.  Anyway, I have all the published collections and
saved quite a few from the newspaper.  Never get tired of them.
Obligatory guitar content: I once sang "Long Time
Travelling" at a church service in an alternating
duet with the associate minister, with both of us
playing guitar. The head minister of that church
told me he kept a copy of strip #1 on his office
desk to remind him of what he was up against.
Good idea...
Andrew
====================================
Do you mean comic strips published in newspaper? If yes I have none ... but
if you include in that comic books ... ha! That's a different story ... on
top of my list Gaston Lagaffe with a lot of seconds, Fred, Bretecher,
Achille Talon, Tintin, asterix etc.
Newspapers.

Zzzzzztac!
Andrew
JonLorPro
2009-05-15 14:34:34 UTC
#1. The Far Side: �"God at His Computer."
He no doubt had become embittered and pettily capricious over the
traumatic results of this early effort:

http://megoblogs.blogspot.com/2007/06/god-as-kid-tries-to-make-chicken-in-his.html
#2. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
� � starts with "Faster, faster!"
#3. Calvin and Hobbes: the Sunday (color) strip that
� � starts "It's true, Hobbes. �Ignorance *is* bliss."
Tried to find these- couldn't. I also was hoping I would find the one
in which Calvin expresses his impatience with the hopelessly prosaic
imagination of scientists as manifested in the naming of their
theories- 'cuz its obvious that the tepidly named "Big Bang" should be
known as "The Whalloping big Kablooie!" Didn't find that either.

But I came across a lot of others. Reminded me of how great C&H
were. I suppose the ranking I expressed before was significantly
informed by the chronology of my experience of them- I encountered
"Calvin & Hobbes " as an adult, but had absorbed and internalized
"Pogo" while growing up. The early tapes swing a lot of weight!- so
"Pogo", natchural, took precedence.

I hereby revise:

"Calvin and Hobbes is moved up to #1. "Pogo" remains at # 1. There
is no #2.

#3? Mebbe "Peanuts", "Krazy Kat"- or "Mr. Natural"
Obligatory guitar content: ...
Obligitory guitar content:

1:51 through 1:54 of the following video:

Benoit Meulle-Stef
2009-05-15 21:00:51 UTC
Calvin and Hobbes
Benoit