New piece for guitar by Mark Delpriora
f***@yahoo.com
2005-10-03 22:31:00 UTC
Hi All,

I have a new piece published by the great Matanya Orphee entitled
"Pocket Sonata". There is an excellent cover illustration by Zaryana
Bogatyrova .

http://www.orphee.com/solos/Delpocket.html

best,
Mark Delpriora
Mark & Steven Bornfeld
2005-10-03 23:23:40 UTC
Post by f***@yahoo.com
Hi All,
I have a new piece published by the great Matanya Orphee entitled
"Pocket Sonata". There is an excellent cover illustration by Zaryana
Bogatyrova .
http://www.orphee.com/solos/Delpocket.html
best,
Mark Delpriora
Looking forward to this. Is it really printed on itty-bitty paper?

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
Mick Stranaham
2005-10-04 03:29:41 UTC
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld
Looking forward to this. Is it really printed on itty-bitty paper?
Steve
Nah, that chick just has a huge dumper.
s***@yahoo.com
2005-10-08 12:35:30 UTC
Post by f***@yahoo.com
Hi All,
I have a new piece published by the great Matanya Orphee entitled
"Pocket Sonata". There is an excellent cover illustration by Zaryana
Bogatyrova .
http://www.orphee.com/solos/Delpocket.html
best,
Mark Delpriora
The cover illustration to your new piece is very similar to the poster
ad and DVD cover for this recent movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling
Pants.

http://www.impawards.com/2005/posters/sisterhood_of_the_traveling_pants.j
pg
Nick Roche
and he is quite right - maybe there will be a court case!
Larry Deack
2005-10-08 17:20:15 UTC
Post by Nick Roche
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by f***@yahoo.com
Mark Delpriora
The cover illustration to your new piece is very similar to the poster
ad and DVD cover for this recent movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling
Pants.
http://www.impawards.com/2005/posters/sisterhood_of_the_traveling_pants.jpg
and he is quite right - maybe there will be a court case!
I doubt it. This was a cover of a classic book that I still have.

Pocket Beatles(TM) - for guitar
ISBN: 0-89524-126-9
Copyright (C) 1960 ATV MUSIC PUBLICATIONS

On the cover is almost the same image with the work POCKET sticking
out of the back pocket and part of a guitar shown one the left as if it
was slung over her shoulder. I can't find an image of it on the web with
a quick search.
Larry Deack
2005-10-08 23:34:40 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
Pocket Beatles(TM) - for guitar
ISBN: 0-89524-126-9
Copyright (C) 1960 ATV MUSIC PUBLICATIONS
1980

Yet another brain fart. The music inside is all copyright after 1960.
Sam Culotta
2005-10-08 18:21:43 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by f***@yahoo.com
Hi All,
I have a new piece published by the great Matanya Orphee entitled
"Pocket Sonata". There is an excellent cover illustration by Zaryana
Bogatyrova .
http://www.orphee.com/solos/Delpocket.html
best,
Mark Delpriora
The cover illustration to your new piece is very similar to the poster
ad and DVD cover for this recent movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling
Pants.
Shakespeare was right.. there's nothing new under the sun.

Sam
pg
Mark & Steven Bornfeld
2005-10-08 18:46:11 UTC
Post by Sam Culotta
Shakespeare was right.. there's nothing new under the sun.
Sam
Well, certainly not pics of womens' butts in jeans.

Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
718-258-5001
Sam Culotta
2005-10-08 18:53:07 UTC
Post by Sam Culotta
Shakespeare was right.. there's nothing new under the sun.
Sam
Well, certainly not pics of womens' butts in jeans.
Steve
And, nothing new under the jeans either. But as with a sunrise, we never
tire of looking.

Sam
718-258-5001
Matanya Ophee
2005-10-08 18:59:45 UTC
Post by Sam Culotta
Shakespeare was right.. there's nothing new under the sun.
Sam
Well, certainly not pics of womens' butts in jeans.
This pre-occupation with the butt in jeans misses the point of the
cover which is the _pocket_, and what's sticking out of it. As far as
I know, there is no copyright protection for the image of a nice
female derriere in jeans, and there is no copyright protection for the
Droste effect (http://tinyurl.com/964hq) depicted by the pocket
stuffing. But should somebody wish to sue me for this, that would be
lovely. By the time the suit was settled, this would have become one
of the most sought after pieces of guitar music...

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.orphee.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/matanya/
Larry Deack
2005-10-08 19:13:58 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
This pre-occupation with the butt in jeans misses the point of the
cover which is the _pocket_, and what's sticking out of it. As far as
I know, there is no copyright protection for the image of a nice
female derriere in jeans, and there is no copyright protection for the
Droste effect (http://tinyurl.com/964hq) depicted by the pocket
stuffing. But should somebody wish to sue me for this, that would be
lovely. By the time the suit was settled, this would have become one
of the most sought after pieces of guitar music...
Using the "pocket" idea and image may be under copyright by ATV music
publications. The recursive part for the orignal POCKET book cover was
that the title "POCKET" was repeated sticking out of the pocket and the
Droste is also recursive and even more like the original marketing idea.
IANAL

It sould be interesting to see if it drives up sales. I'll be buying
it soon either way. Congratulations to both of you and I hope you guys
can do more. I will but anything Mark publishes with you, great music
and art for such a nice price :-)
Larry Deack
2005-10-08 19:17:11 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
I will but anything
Geeeeeezzzzz... BUY.... and that wasn't the only typo!
Sam Culotta
2005-10-08 19:45:26 UTC
Seems more Freudian than typographic :-)
Matanya Ophee
2005-10-08 20:29:44 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
Using the "pocket" idea and image may be under copyright by ATV music
publications. The recursive part for the orignal POCKET book cover was
that the title "POCKET" was repeated sticking out of the pocket and the
Droste is also recursive and even more like the original marketing idea.
The idea itself is not original by anybody. It was discussed in the
context of logic, levels of abstration, etc for millenia. The use of
the so-called Droste Effect by Escher is well known.

http://escherdroste.math.leidenuniv.nl/

The Beatles Pocket book designer will have a hard time claiming a
copyright on the design idea.

Larry Deack
2005-10-08 20:57:59 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
The idea itself is not original by anybody. It was discussed in the
context of logic, levels of abstration, etc for millenia. The use of
the so-called Droste Effect by Escher is well known.
http://escherdroste.math.leidenuniv.nl/
Yes, we covered this in RMCG before.

You use several elements of the same design as a well established
product line.

1) Picture of the same midsection of a woman in blue jeans, in the same
pose.
2) The Pocket _______ Title.
3) The same book showing recursively in the same RH pocket of the jeans.
(their's is not a Droste but close)
4) Both use the same RGBY colors except the R & G are reversed.
5) Both are music publications.
Post by Matanya Ophee
The Beatles Pocket book designer will have a hard time claiming a
copyright on the design idea.
The whole is the design and not just the recursive part. How close to
Mickey Mouse does the image on your product have to be before Disney sues?

IMNAL

YMMV
Matanya Ophee
2005-10-08 22:42:59 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
You use several elements of the same design as a well established
product line.
It would be a long stretch to claim that Mark Delpriora's music for
the classical guitar is in any way in the same product line as the
Beatles.
Post by Larry Deack
1) Picture of the same midsection of a woman in blue jeans, in the same
pose.
That and about 36,000 other such pictures available, with, or without
jeans.
Post by Larry Deack
2) The Pocket _______ Title.
Is the word "Pocket" in the title a trade mark owned by somebody?
Post by Larry Deack
3) The same book showing recursively in the same RH pocket of the jeans.
(their's is not a Droste but close)
4) Both use the same RGBY colors except the R & G are reversed.
Sorry, we use the