OT: The Best Sarabande
2011-05-17 02:50:13 UTC
First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
it's music, construction, techniques, etc.

Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
think it's certainly one of them. I may be playing a lot of
sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
Doug.

You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
to play this arrangement. You can play this on the 6-string, the
trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.

And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.

Andrew
Che
2011-05-17 02:59:17 UTC
On May 16, 9:50 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
wrote:
> First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
>
> Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> think it's certainly one of them.  I may be playing a lot of
> sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> Doug.
>
> You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> to play this arrangement.  You can play this on the 6-string, the
> trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
>
> And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
>
> Andrew

The fourth movement Sarabande of Handel's Keyboard suite in D minor!
I played both on 6 and 11 stringers. No better sarabande for la gente
as a guitarist, imo.
Andrew Schulman
2011-05-17 03:12:08 UTC
On May 16, 10:59 pm, Che <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The fourth movement Sarabande of Handel's Keyboard suite in D minor!
> I played both on 6 and 11 stringers. No better sarabande for la gente
> as a guitarist, imo.

Yes, Barry Lyndon did a great job with that piece. I've been playing
it a lot lately.

2011-05-17 03:18:45 UTC
On May 16, 10:50 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
wrote:
> First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
>
> Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> think it's certainly one of them.  I may be playing a lot of
> sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> Doug.
>
> You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> to play this arrangement.  You can play this on the 6-string, the
> trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
>
> And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
>
> Andrew

(Note to self: include link in future threads of this type):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5728912442/sizes/l/in/photostream/
Che
2011-05-17 03:38:48 UTC

Nice but not for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3A1-mGjSA&feature=related

He's an interesting guitarist, he an I agree on legato....LISTEN.
Andrew Schulman
2011-05-17 03:59:09 UTC
On May 16, 11:38 pm, Che <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On May 16, 10:18 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On May 16, 10:50 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> > > classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> > > since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> > > it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
>
> > > Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> > > think it's certainly one of them.  I may be playing a lot of
> > > sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> > > arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> > > Doug.
>
> > > You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> > > to play this arrangement.  You can play this on the 6-string, the
> > > trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
>
> > > And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> > > world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
>
> > > Andrew
>
> > (Note to self: include link in future threads of this type):
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5728912442/sizes/l/in/photostre...<
>
> Nice but not for me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3A1-mGjSA&feature=related
>
> He's an interesting guitarist, he an I agree on legato....LISTEN.

Very fine player!

Andrew
h***@verizon.net
2011-05-17 03:38:54 UTC
On May 16, 11:18 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
wrote:
> On May 16, 10:50 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
> wrote:
>
> > First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> > classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> > since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> > it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
>
> > Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> > think it's certainly one of them.  I may be playing a lot of
> > sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> > arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> > Doug.
>
> > You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> > to play this arrangement.  You can play this on the 6-string, the
> > trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
>
> > And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> > world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
>
> > Andrew
>
> (Note to self: include link in future threads of this type):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5728912442/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Nice transcription. Thanks for posting it. I think the fingering
added is simple and effective, and helps make it flow.

2011-05-17 03:59:21 UTC
On May 16, 11:38 pm, "***@verizon.net" <***@verizon.net>
wrote:
> On May 16, 11:18 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On May 16, 10:50 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> > > classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> > > since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> > > it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
>
> > > Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> > > think it's certainly one of them.  I may be playing a lot of
> > > sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> > > arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> > > Doug.
>
> > > You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> > > to play this arrangement.  You can play this on the 6-string, the
> > > trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
>
> > > And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> > > world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
>
> > > Andrew
>
> > (Note to self: include link in future threads of this type):
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5728912442/sizes/l/in/photostream/
>
> Nice transcription.  Thanks for posting it.  I think the fingering
> added is simple and effective, and helps make it flow.

Thanks Seth. I appreciate the comment about the fingering. Yes,
flow. And make it sing.

Andrew
Carey
2011-05-17 05:29:30 UTC
Andrew Schulman wrote:
> On May 16, 10:50 pm, Andrew Schulman <***@abacaproductions.com>
> wrote:
> > First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> > classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> > since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> > it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
> >
> > Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> > think it's certainly one of them. I may be playing a lot of
> > sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> > arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> > Doug.
> >
> > You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> > to play this arrangement. You can play this on the 6-string, the
> > trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
> >
> > And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> > world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> (Note to self: include link in future threads of this type):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5728912442/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Thanks for posting your arrangement of this piece. I haven't listened
to the
first Partita much, so it's good to have this Sarabande with your
fingerings
to work on.

I was listening to Frank Bungarten play the D minor Partita last
night, and while
he definitely does play legato lines well, to my ear he doesn't stop
*enough*
notes, to create spring, and give the dance forms life. Having seen
your post
of this B minor Sarabande, I just listened to his performance of it on
this CD
set, and had the impression. Tough to strike a balance I guess, though
I've
noticed a tendency of some German guitarists to be more concerned with
legato
than articulation of rhythms.
Bungarten does do some very nice things, for instance the Gigue is
very well and
cleanly shaped at quite a clip, and a really interesting Ciaccona.
Che
2011-05-17 16:54:10 UTC
On May 17, 12:29 am, Carey <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was listening to Frank Bungarten play the D minor Partita last
> night, and while he definitely does play legato lines well, to my ear he doesn't stop
> *enough* notes, to create spring, and give the dance forms life.<

>Snip<

> Tough to strike a balance I guess, though I've noticed a tendency of some German guitarists to be >more concerned with legato than articulation of rhythms.<

This is too broad a statement to define unless you can provide
specific names and recordings. I some regards I do agree in that
specific case with F.B. Note, I said "Not for me." To maintain a
legato flow and crisp articulation, where it's called for, requires
certain skills many seem to be lacking.

The point is Bungarten did write a very informative paper on
"Legato." I sent it around in pmail years ago.
Carey
2011-05-17 18:11:35 UTC
Che wrote:
> On May 17, 12:29 am, Carey <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I was listening to Frank Bungarten play the D minor Partita last
> > night, and while he definitely does play legato lines well, to my ear he doesn't stop
> > *enough* notes, to create spring, and give the dance forms life.<
>
> >Snip<
>
> > Tough to strike a balance I guess, though I've noticed a tendency of some German guitarists to be >more concerned with legato than articulation of rhythms.<
>
> This is too broad a statement to define unless you can provide
> specific names and recordings. I some regards I do agree in that
> specific case with F.B. Note, I said "Not for me." To maintain a
> legato flow and crisp articulation, where it's called for, requires
> certain skills many seem to be lacking.
>
> The point is Bungarten did write a very informative paper on
> "Legato." I sent it around in pmail years ago.

Sounds like it would be an interesting paper. I read an interview
with Bungarten in Classical Guitar quite a while back where he
put a lot of emphasis on legato, and also sounded like a pretty
demanding teacher.

In referring to 'some German guitarists' I was thinking of
Andreas von Wangenheim's recording of the Cello Suites
and Marc Seiffge's Bach and Britten recording, as well as
the Bungarten discs I mentioned.
Che
2011-05-17 19:15:19 UTC
On May 17, 1:11 pm, Carey <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Che wrote:
> > On May 17, 12:29 am, Carey <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I was listening to Frank Bungarten play the D minor Partita last
> > > night, and while he definitely does play legato lines well, to my ear he doesn't stop
> > > *enough* notes, to create spring, and give the dance forms life.<
>
> > >Snip<
>
> > > Tough to strike a balance I guess, though I've noticed a tendency of some German guitarists to be >more concerned with legato than articulation of rhythms.<
>
> > This is too broad a statement to define unless you can provide
> > specific names and recordings. I some regards I do agree in that
> > specific case with F.B.  Note, I said "Not for me."  To maintain a
> > legato flow and crisp articulation, where it's called for, requires
> > certain skills many seem to be lacking.
>
> > The point is Bungarten did write a very informative paper on
> > "Legato."  I sent it around in pmail years ago.
>
> Sounds like it would be an interesting paper. I read an interview
> with Bungarten in Classical Guitar quite a while back where he
> put a lot of emphasis on legato, and also sounded like a pretty
> demanding teacher.
>
> In referring  to 'some German guitarists' I was thinking of
> Andreas von Wangenheim's recording of the Cello Suites
> and Marc Seiffge's Bach and Britten recording, as well as
> the Bungarten discs I mentioned<

All three are excellent guitarist in the main. I do have problems
with electric/classicals but that's me. You original point was
significant, legato vs clear articulation of rhythms, imo.
We become picky, picky, picky according to our individual taste, don't
you think?

http://www.frankbungarten.de/interviews.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kRm5B7iKI&feature=related

On the other hand, folks on vacation in luxury resorts do not want to
hear this sort of music. They want to be coddled and lulled away into
a false sense of security, that was my business. :-)
Andrew Schulman
2011-05-17 04:24:05 UTC
wrote:
> First, I suggest that from now on any thread that has to do with the
> classical guitar have OT in the subject heading as it's been a while
> since the primary focus of the RMCG has been the classical guitar;
> it's music, construction, techniques, etc.
>
> Second, I don't know if this is the most beautiful Sarabande, but I
> think it's certainly one of them.  I may be playing a lot of
> sarabandes this Wednesday night and I thought I'd share this
> arrangement with those of you here that play the guitar, especially
> Doug.
>
> You don't need a Dresden or an 8-string or any other specialty guitar
> to play this arrangement.  You can play this on the 6-string, the
> trusty old "Brown Bess" of guitars.
>
> And don't forget we owe a debt of gratitude to the people who gave the
> world chocolate, they gave us the sarabande too.
>
> Andrew

This one is killer-diller but it's an 8-string arrangement. Should be
great on the Dresden:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5729216050/sizes/l/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeadgbe/5729207062/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Andrew