A Concert, and Picnic
2012-11-20 02:21:52 UTC
On Tuesday, November 27th, I'll be doing the 3rd of a series of 4
concerts since last March 20th at 2nd Floor On Clinton, an intimate
music salon setting on Manhattan's Lower East Side:

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e6ei571kc163804d&llr=yhzk8odab

The first concert, a "Bach Celebration" (half the program was Bach),
was also a celebration of the recovery of my music memory, and ability
to memorize new pieces, after serious medical issues. The venue owner
and I decided to do the series after the first one turned out well. I
then played there last June, music that I had previously memorized and
then re-learned, and this concert will be mostly music I'd never
played from memory before. I'll finish the series next March 19th with
an all-Bach concert, also including pieces I had never memorized
previously.

What I have found out is that if you've had a recovery from brain
damage it's still "use it or lose it". If you do the hard work you
can wind up with better skills than you had before.

Also, in the subject heading above, not "a picnic", but rather,
Picnic. I wrote here last August that a steady gig I'd had for 2
years at a French bistro called Alouette, a short walk from where I
live on the Upper West Side, had ended because Alouette closed. I was
hoping to find another place nearby, this is a great neighborhood for
music, and I did.

I will be starting this Friday at http://www.picnicmarket.com/ The
chef proprietaire, Jean-Luc Kieffer, wants to try live music and we'll
do a trial run and if works well it will be a steady gig. This
Friday, the night after Thanksgiving, will be slow but that will give
us a chance to get the set-up right.

For those of you that came to hear me at Alouette I can tell you that
Jean-Luc is a great chef. Those of you that live far away, if you
know people in New York that would like to hear guitar music in a nice
French bistro, please pass the word!

Thanks,

Andrew
http://www.abacaproductions.com/
John Nguyen
Break a leg, mi amigo!
Andrew Schulman
2012-11-20 16:44:34 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
Break a leg, mi amigo!
Thanks, John!

Andrew
Richard Jernigan
2012-11-20 16:57:49 UTC
HI Andrew-

Congratulations on another neighborhood gig. We really enjoyed seeing/hearing you at Alouette. Next time we're in New York we'll drop by the new place.

We're off to Thailand after Christmas--palm trees, white sand, a little diving, delicious food, a bit of culture in Bangkok and Chiang Mai....

It's an inspiration to see someone like you soldiering on with a smile and overcoming a serious setback. I'll always remember the smile on your face that night at Alouette when you played the Bachianas Brasileiras from memory for the first time!

RNJ
Andrew Schulman
2012-11-20 17:32:12 UTC
Post by Richard Jernigan
HI Andrew-
Congratulations on another neighborhood gig. We really enjoyed seeing/hearing you at Alouette. Next time we're in New York we'll drop by the new place.
We're off to Thailand after Christmas--palm trees, white sand, a little diving, delicious food, a bit of culture in Bangkok and Chiang Mai....
It's an inspiration to see someone like you soldiering on with a smile and overcoming a serious setback. I'll always remember the smile on your face that night at Alouette when you played the Bachianas Brasileiras from memory for the first time!
RNJ
Thanks Richard, much appreciated. And all best wishes for a great
trip to Thailand!

Andrew
Alan Turing
2012-11-20 19:19:43 UTC
[...]
Unforunately my thanksgiving ends on the monday before that 27th, but
if it was still i would have been there 100%. Hope it goes well, i
would have loved to hear the Venezuelan waltz and Manha de Carnival as
well as the debussy!
-AlanTuring
Andrew Schulman
2012-11-20 20:11:40 UTC
Post by Alan Turing
Unforunately my thanksgiving ends on the monday before that 27th, but
if it was still i would have been there 100%. Hope it goes well, i
would have loved to hear the Venezuelan waltz and Manha de Carnival  as
well as the debussy!
Thanks, hope to see you someday, try Picnic on a Friday night next
time you are here.

And yes, those are great pieces. The Debussy is ideal for 8-string
guitar, especially.

Andrew
Alan Turing
2012-11-20 21:28:24 UTC
Post by Alan Turing
Unforunately my thanksgiving ends on the monday before that 27th, but
if it was still i would have been there 100%. Hope it goes well, i
would have loved to hear the Venezuelan waltz and Manha de Carnival  as
well as the debussy!
Thanks, hope to see you someday, try Picnic on a Friday night next
time you are here.
And yes, those are great pieces. The Debussy is ideal for 8-string
guitar, especially.
Andrew
Oh lord, i just actually read the 8 string part. That makes me feel
worse. Will the event be recorded on video?
-AlanTuring
Andrew Schulman
2012-11-21 03:26:20 UTC
Post by Alan Turing
Oh lord, i just actually read the 8 string part. That makes me feel
worse. Will the event be recorded on video?
--
-AlanTuring
I probably won't record the concert. I have just finished adding
these back to memory. Maybe next year.

Andrew
Nate Najar
2012-11-22 19:48:22 UTC
[...]
I am sure you are familiar with Pat Martino's story......

I wish I were in town to hear you next week, but I'll be in DC. I'll have to stop by the new restaurant next time I'm in town....

I heard you a number of years ago at the intercontinental barclay and really enjoyed it.

2012-11-22 21:59:32 UTC
Post by Nate Najar
I am sure you are familiar with Pat Martino's story......
I didn't, just looked it up. I have heard other stories, similar, and
there is a good percentage where the recovery actually gives you an
upgrade.
Post by Nate Najar
I wish I were in town to hear you next week, but I'll be in DC.  I'll have to stop by the new restaurant next time I'm in town....
I heard you a number of years ago at the intercontinental barclay and really enjoyed it.
Thanks Nate, I look forward to seeing you again!

2012-11-22 20:13:19 UTC
[...]
I dreamt that I was in NYC and it occurred to me that I could finally go
watch you play but then I found myself in my bed in my room on this rock
in the middle of nowhere and I was sad. Still, it was a good dream.
Happy turkey day ya'all!
Gerry
2012-11-22 20:20:42 UTC
Post by dsi1
I dreamt that I was in NYC and it occurred to me that I could finally
go watch you play but then I found myself in my bed in my room on this
rock in the middle of nowhere and I was sad. Still, it was a good
dream. Happy turkey day ya'all!
Better your rock in the middle of nowhere than a thousand others!
Music is the best means we have of digesting time. -- W. H. Auden
Andrew Schulman
2012-11-22 22:00:52 UTC
Post by dsi1
I dreamt that I was in NYC and it occurred to me that I could finally go
watch you play but then I found myself in my bed in my room on this rock
in the middle of nowhere and I was sad. Still, it was a good dream.
Happy turkey day ya'all!
We should do one of those 2-week house swaps, I'd love to see Hawaii.

Happy T day too!