Nothing to say about Julian Bream's death??
Add Reply
Curmudgeon
2020-09-06 11:47:21 UTC
Yesterday I re-watched Julian Bream "My Life in Music" for the umpteenth time. I then went online and learned that he died in August, yet I see no mention of him in the forum. He was a giant, and I would think deserves at least a passing mention. I am not learned enough to post any great insights, but plenty of folks here are.
tom g
2020-09-06 12:31:33 UTC
No news about a funeral or a service of memorial - he just disappeared quietly. It seems sad but maybe it is what he wanted.

There is a lot about Julian Bream in this recent long tesis about John Williams:

https://arrow.tudublin.ie/appadoc/84/
tom g
2020-09-06 18:04:13 UTC
Leo Brouwer's tribute to Julian Bream:

Steven Bornfeld
2020-09-07 15:09:57 UTC
Post by Curmudgeon
Yesterday I re-watched Julian Bream "My Life in Music" for the umpteenth time. I then went online and learned that he died in August, yet I see no mention of him in the forum. He was a giant, and I would think deserves at least a passing mention. I am not learned enough to post any great insights, but plenty of folks here are.
Since this has essentially become the Estudiando Guitarra Clásica
newsgroup, it's pretty dead here. There actually was a decent thread
over at rec.music.classical.recordings; the rest of the action that I
saw was over on FB.
Hope all is well.

Steve
Gary Dufresne
2020-09-07 16:15:23 UTC
Post by Curmudgeon
Yesterday I re-watched Julian Bream "My Life in Music" for the umpteenth time. I then went online and learned that he died in August, yet I see no mention of him in the forum. He was a giant, and I would think deserves at least a passing mention. I am not learned enough to post any great insights, but plenty of folks here are.
Well, since you mentioned it! I just mentioned this to my wife this morning, and Julian Bream has been on my mind for some weeks since I heard. Coincidentally, I am in the fortunate position of buying a guitar right now and for romantic reasons, I first went after a Japanese guitar, because as a boy I learned on a Yamaha, then I searched for a guitar made in my birth year (1969) because that would be cool too. So I settled on a '69 Kohno and as I understand it Bream had a treasured Kohno himself. All of this was communicated to my wife just this morning. She knows I'm a Julian Bream fan (and is one herself of course after watching his videos with me....c'mon Guitarra! is an absolute freaking treasure)....anyway, nice to see this thread here. I am certainly not a giant of CG like so many of you here but Bream had a tremendous influence on how I look at classical music in general, never mind guitar. He was a cool cat before he was anything else and that coolness seemed to be in everything he did.

It's a beautiful day here in New England, and I will certainly spend it thinking of and listening to Bream.
Steven Bornfeld
2020-09-08 21:09:51 UTC