How many?
Andrew Schulman
2020-11-02 03:18:15 UTC
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?

Thank you!
Andrew
Steven Bornfeld
2020-11-02 03:40:54 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
Ain't nobody here but us chickens!
Steve
Gerry
I check in regularly to monitor what isn't happening.
Thomas Scharkowski
Me too ;-)
JMF
Still here.
Ken Blake
2020-11-03 14:47:20 UTC
Post by JMF
Post by Thomas Scharkowski
Post by Gerry
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was
approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
Ain't nobody here but us chickens!
Steve
I check in regularly to monitor what isn't happening.
Me too ;-)
Still here.
I don't remember when I started, but I've been here for several years,
and I'm also still here. But I mostly lurk, and seldom post.
Ken
Gerry
If anybody coughs there are at least 8 of us that will know it!
Andrew Schulman
Andrew Schulman
2020-11-09 03:08:13 UTC
Post by Gerry
Post by Ken Blake
Post by JMF
Post by Thomas Scharkowski
Post by Gerry
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was
approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
Ain't nobody here but us chickens!
Steve
I check in regularly to monitor what isn't happening.
Me too ;-)
Still here.
I don't remember when I started, but I've been here for several years,
and I'm also still here. But I mostly lurk, and seldom post.
If anybody coughs there are at least 8 of us that will know it!
Cough, cough. Gosh, I hope I don't have Covid-19.
A.
Curmudgeon
2020-11-10 13:21:00 UTC
Post by JMF
Still here.
Hey, I've been emailing you for a couple of months. Is all ok?

Dave
JMF
2020-11-12 10:09:09 UTC
Post by Curmudgeon
Post by JMF
Still here.
Hey, I've been emailing you for a couple of months. Is all ok?
Dave
Email was sent to you ten days ago. Just tried again from a different
address. Check your spam folder. (All is OK.)
a***@yahoo.com
2020-11-22 13:46:56 UTC
Well, it took me three weeks to see this thread. So I guess that shows how often I check in. RMCG is dead.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Ken Blake
2020-11-22 19:22:34 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Well, it took me three weeks to see this thread. So I guess that shows how often I check in. RMCG is dead.
Dead? No. Moribund? Yes.

Most newsgroups are either dead or moribund. Usenet is dying.
Ken
Wollybird
2020-11-09 03:38:06 UTC
I check back weekly, which is too often
Curmudgeon
2020-11-10 13:21:56 UTC
I pop in from time to time, but it's pretty sparse around here.
dsi1
2020-11-10 16:20:59 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
My little project is to buy disturbingly cheap Chinese guitars. I think they're going to change the guitar market. One of of the guitars I got is completely wacked out but plays beautifully.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/9mpp8q5yQd6cO2qpvoX9Sg.B03HX3Kv9Cs27iHjwcoWO9
John Nguyen
2020-12-13 19:35:43 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
Haha my apology for procrastinating in the response. Yes, I'm still checking in every now and then for any earth-shattering news.
Cheers!

John
Tom Bola
2020-12-31 21:01:46 UTC
Hey Andrew, I'am still here, glad you're too!
JonLorPro
2021-01-04 01:09:13 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Hi guys-- I guess I am one who had "heyed" in the day. But I don't really qualify as a "still tuner in", as I haven't tuned in for several years. So now, I happen to pass through on what whim I know not, and this is among the first threads I see. So, obviously, it was incumbent upon me to make my passage known.

And, you may freely interpret the expression of my "passage" in whatever sense you wish-- for the events in my life over the last few years, even pre-dating the present social catastrophe, have so occluded, eclipsed, and displaced any remnant of whatever or whoever I was, that, functionally, that person can be said scarcely to exist-- except in my internal thoughts, and revisitations of past writings. In fact, _that_ was what occasioned this present excursion; I was in search of a small essay on the various forms in which received expressive input can be passed on. This was in response to someone who felt concerned that anyone (i.e., himself) who is simply a living room player represents a dead-end in artistic enterprise. I countered that proposition.

How prescient that was. Enough about all that; only to say that my domestic existence is still intact-- I'm still living where I was, and with whom I was. That is my continuity.

In any case, I'm glad to see that many familiar names are still on this list. I hope that this indicates that all is well with you all. I'll be around...
Murdick
2021-01-05 13:46:33 UTC
I Think interest in the classical guitar is waning a bit. CG is a very personnel instrument and not meant for everybody. I'd say that 2% of the population listen to classical music and of them, 2% care about CG. That's 2% of 2% which is essentially nobody.
Ken Blake
2021-01-05 14:40:28 UTC
Post by Murdick
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
I Think interest in the classical guitar is waning a bit. CG is a very personnel instrument and not meant for everybody. I'd say that 2% of the population listen to classical music and of them, 2% care about CG. That's 2% of 2% which is essentially nobody.
I don't know whether interest is waning, but I think (correct me if I'm
wrong) that most of the people here are not just interested, but *play*
the classical guitar. I play it, although I lurk here much more than I post.

I can't remember when I started in this newsgroup, but I don't think I
playing the guitar for about 70 years, but it was mostly finger-picking
blues and ragtime styles on a steel-string guitar. I started studying
and playing classical guitar about six years ago.
Ken
Murdick
2021-01-05 15:48:00 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
Ken, I started out in rock n roll as a kid in the late 50s and then learned to do a fair imitation of Chet Atkins.
From there I went to playing classical guitar and got a music degree. I played for a living for a number of years doing the light classical and pop thing in restaurants. Back then you could do this, but it was not very stable. Then I taught math for about 25 years. Now I play four string banjo in a Dixieland band and saxophone in the street. I've got three steady once a week gigs with the Dauphin Street Stompers, and when this plague is over this will expand quite a bit. So that's what I've been doing. I'm almost as cool as David Arnold (I can't believe he's still alive). I still tune in to RMCG every once in awhile but have been spending more time on Delcamp.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-01-05 18:11:02 UTC
Post by Murdick
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
From there I went to playing classical guitar and got a music degree. I played for a living for a number of years doing the light classical and pop thing in restaurants. Back then you could do this, but it was not very stable. Then I taught math for about 25 years. Now I play four string banjo in a Dixieland band and saxophone in the street. I've got three steady once a week gigs with the Dauphin Street Stompers, and when this plague is over this will expand quite a bit. So that's what I've been doing. I'm almost as cool as David Arnold (I can't believe he's still alive). I still tune in to RMCG every once in awhile but have been spending more time on Delcamp.
People talk as if it's almost an accomplishment NOT to be thrown off
Delcamp. Is that not accurate? Maybe I should look in.

Steve
Murdick
You have to careful to say IMO a lot, and don't disparage anyone.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-01-10 03:09:23 UTC
Post by Murdick
You have to careful to say IMO a lot, and don't disparage anyone.
LOL--hope you're doing well, Kent.

a***@yahoo.com
2021-01-10 20:29:29 UTC
Out of curiosity, I looked up my first post on RMCG. It was on January 26, 1998. That’s almost 23 years ago. Here’s a surprise: my first post mentioned Donald Trump. That’s eerie.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Ken Blake
2021-01-10 20:52:03 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Out of curiosity, I looked up my first post on RMCG. It was on January 26, 1998. That’s almost 23 years ago. Here’s a surprise: my first post mentioned Donald Trump. That’s eerie.
I didn't even know he played the classical guitar back then. <g>
Ken
John Nguyen
2021-01-12 05:39:45 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Out of curiosity, I looked up my first post on RMCG. It was on January 26, 1998. That’s almost 23 years ago. Here’s a surprise: my first post mentioned Donald Trump. That’s eerie.
I didn't even know he played the classical guitar back then. <g>
--
Ken
My first post in RMCG was back in Aug 14, 2001. That's 19 years ago. Time really flies!!!

John
Paul Carmichael
2021-04-08 14:27:15 UTC
Post by John Nguyen
My first post in RMCG was back in Aug 14, 2001. That's 19 years ago. Time really flies!!!
Mine was in 2021.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Steven Bornfeld
2021-01-11 03:00:38 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Out of curiosity, I looked up my first post on RMCG. It was on January 26, 1998. That’s almost 23 years ago. Here’s a surprise: my first post mentioned Donald Trump. That’s eerie.
Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Wow--scrolling on google groups is time-consuming. I can't see a way to
order posts in reverse time order. I think I must have started about
the same time. Wow, I didn't think I posted that much.
lare
Lurker (the Last IIRC)
Ken Blake
2021-01-06 14:27:48 UTC
Post by Murdick
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
Post by Ken Blake
From there I went to playing classical guitar and got a music degree. I played for a living for a number of years
doing the light classical and pop thing in restaurants. Back then you could do this, but it was not very stable. >> Then I taught math for about 25 years. Now I play four string banjo
I also play the banjo, but 5-string, clawhammer style, but since I
started on the classical guitar, I've hardly touched it.
Ken
Learnwell
2021-01-14 21:00:05 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
I also play the banjo, but 5-string, clawhammer style, but since I
started on the classical guitar, I've hardly touched it.
Brainjo

https://www.brainjo.academy/aboutbrainjo/

Your brain on learning banjo.
Richard Jernigan
2021-03-27 02:55:46 UTC
What? This group still exists? Hello, and best wishes to all from

RNJ
Steven Bornfeld
2021-03-28 16:41:28 UTC
Post by Richard Jernigan
What? This group still exists? Hello, and best wishes to all from
RNJ
"Not dead; just resting!"
Best to you, Richard!

Steve
Andrew Schulman
2021-03-29 02:11:16 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Richard Jernigan
What? This group still exists? Hello, and best wishes to all from
RNJ
"Not dead; just resting!"
Best to you, Richard!
Steve
OMG, this is so exciting! At fever pitch now. Good ol' RMCG is rock and rolling once again!

Thank you, Steve and Richard!
Andrew
Gary Dufresne
2021-01-11 00:27:58 UTC
Count me in (I played through Carcassi's Op 60 No 3 today, messed around with some M.D. Pujol music, and checked in at RMCG. Also replaced a hard drive in a late-2013 iMac today....upon installing Google an old RMCG bookmark appeared so here I am. But I do check in occasionally because I love you people. Even after all these years, I do still put way too much information inside of parentheses).
Bert
2021-01-12 09:35:12 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
I always felt a bit of an amateur here (which I am), so didn't contribute much, but I will have my 20th anniversary here on the third of February.

Still think this group was the one with the most knowledgeable guitarists, even if they seemed a bit cranky at times.

Especially loved the arrangization project. It showed me how much fun that can be and how much there was to be learned in that department.
JPD
2021-04-14 20:32:28 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
I doubt the RMCG drop-off is due to any fading of interest in CG, but rather to the advent of online video.

My first RMCG post was in 1994, btw. What do I win?
Ken Blake
2021-04-14 20:56:22 UTC
Post by JPD
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
I doubt the RMCG drop-off is due to any fading of interest in CG, but rather to the advent of online video.
There's a dropoff in almost all newsgroups. Many newsgroups get almost
no new messages any more. It's not because of online video; it's because
of a lack of interest in usenet in general.The great majority of
internet users these days don't even know that usenet exists.
Ken
Gerry
2021-04-15 02:51:29 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
On Sunday, November 1, 2020 at 7:18:17 PM UTC-8,
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was
approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you! Andrew
I doubt the RMCG drop-off is due to any fading of interest in CG, but
rather to the advent of online video.
There's a dropoff in almost all newsgroups. Many newsgroups get almost
no new messages any more. It's not because of online video; it's
because of a lack of interest in usenet in general.The great majority
of internet users these days don't even know that usenet exists.
I felt that I was one of the last in rmmgj. Almost all movecd to
Facebook, but don't seem to have a presence there. There are lots of
jazz guitar groups, but it has diffused decent discussion.

Are there any classical groups of value on Facebook?
Steven Bornfeld
2021-04-15 18:49:55 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was
approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you! Andrew
I doubt the RMCG drop-off is due to any fading of interest in CG, but
rather to the advent of online video.
There's a dropoff in almost all newsgroups. Many newsgroups get almost
no new messages any more. It's not because of online video; it's
because of a lack of interest in usenet in general.The great majority
of internet users these days don't even know that usenet exists.
I felt that I was one of the last in rmmgj. Almost all movecd to
Facebook, but don't seem to have a presence there. There are lots of
jazz guitar groups, but it has diffused decent discussion.
Are there any classical groups of value on Facebook?
rec.music.classical.recordings is still fairly active on usenet. There
is a group of some of the same people who have migrated over to FB. The
usenet group still has its share of trolls, but the entertainment value
has diminished, and the off-topic political posts have become tiresome.
OTOH, the collections of music these guys (almost 100% male, BTW) have
is quite astounding. I can't imagine they can listen to it all and
still have time to post (or eat, or sleep).

Steve
Gerry
2021-04-16 05:52:21 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
But no classical guitar group of value?

So what are the Facebook groups named where the .recordings crew has gone to?
Steven Bornfeld
I messaged you on FB
Paul Carmichael
2021-04-16 16:28:08 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Gerry
So what are the Facebook groups named where the .recordings crew has gone to?
I messaged you on FB
Is it a secret?
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Steven Bornfeld
2021-04-16 19:23:30 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Gerry
So what are the Facebook groups named where the .recordings crew has gone to?
I messaged you on FB
Is it a secret?
No. But I doubt I have to tell you about Delcamp.

Paul Carmichael

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Steven Bornfeld
2021-04-17 18:58:24 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Gerry
So what are the Facebook groups named where the .recordings crew has gone to?
I messaged you on FB
Is it a secret?
No. But I doubt I have to tell you about Delcamp.
?
Sorry. The Delcamp forum has been around a long time. The moderator is
sometimes painted as a petty tyrant; I haven't spent enough time around
there to know. It is popular, and seems to have a great deal of
information.

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/

The old "Eskimo" list (and I don't know where that name is from--maybe
they run the forums) went to yahoo and now is basically dead. There are
a couple of classical guitar groups on Facebook; those I've seen don't
see a lot of traffic.

Steve
Steven Bornfeld
2021-04-17 19:00:11 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Gerry
So what are the Facebook groups named where the .recordings crew has gone to?
I messaged you on FB
Is it a secret?
No.  But I doubt I have to tell you about Delcamp.
?
Sorry.  The Delcamp forum has been around a long time.  The moderator is
sometimes painted as a petty tyrant; I haven't spent enough time around
there to know.  It is popular, and seems to have a great deal of
information.
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
The old "Eskimo" list (and I don't know where that name is from--maybe
they run the forums) went to yahoo and now is basically dead.  There are
a couple of classical guitar groups on Facebook; those I've seen don't
see a lot of traffic.
Steve
I'm obviously going senile; yes, the "Eskimo" list today exists (a
remnant) on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2449041278647229
John
2021-04-18 17:54:35 UTC
Sorry. The Delcamp forum has been around a long time. The moderator is
sometimes painted as a petty tyrant; I haven't spent enough time around
there to know. It is popular, and seems to have a great deal of
information.
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
Mr. Delcamp is strict about members' requirement to post something like at least two messages a month and even more strict about copyright issues. I posted my arrangement of a Puccini aria and a moderator took it down, since even though the music is clearly in the public domain, someone else had written lyrics (not the opera's originals) for it, and those were still under copyright. My arrangement included no lyrics at all.

Delcamp has also arranged and posted a large number of scores, including extensive offerings of Bach, Tarrega and Llobet, free to members who have posted a required number of messages.

You're right that the forum has a great deal of information, but much of the discussion is helpful especially to beginners. Of the many Facebook CG groups, this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203609713179964, has 16,000 members and a fair amount of traffic, but again most helpful to beginners. That's why I prize these usenet groups, what's left of them, since the participants tend to have been members longer and are sometimes older, and so offer more seasoned points of view.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-04-18 17:59:41 UTC
Post by John
[...]
I haven't often seen "usenet" and "seasoned" in the same sentence. Hope
you and yours are well.

Steve
Gerry
2021-04-18 22:16:50 UTC
Thanks for that.
John
2021-04-19 17:49:30 UTC
Post by Gerry
Thanks for that.
You bet, Gerry. Here's one with more members but maybe not as much traffic: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028451850503937. Most of the others there are either much smaller or localized.

John R.
Gerry
Thanks. ~25.8k is small, but it may keep me occupied for an hour or two. ;-)
Gerry
2021-04-15 02:49:55 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
How many people who posted in the heyday of RMCG which was
approximately in 2005 are still tuning in? Five? Twelve? Three?
Thank you!
Andrew
I doubt the RMCG drop-off is due to any fading of interest in CG, but
rather to the advent of online video.
And possibly the aging of the user base.
My first RMCG post was in 1994, btw. What do I win?
I read it but likely didn't post until the late-90's.
norton....@gmail.com
2021-06-11 07:52:17 UTC
Andrew
Gerry