Masterclass
Learnwell
2020-01-26 18:44:32 UTC
THE ART AND SCIENCE OF LEARNING MUSIC, AND ANYTHING ELSE

I did alive masterclass for the UK site Musical U yesterday. They recorded my masterclass on how learning/practicing works this morning. We had a few hundred folks from around the world. They are making it publicly available for a couple of days to anyone who wants to view. Then is will be for members only. I can't imagine teaching without this information in addition to everything I had already been doing.

tom g
2020-01-28 01:33:23 UTC
Post by Learnwell
THE ART AND SCIENCE OF LEARNING MUSIC, AND ANYTHING ELSE
I did alive masterclass for the UK site Musical U yesterday. They recorded my masterclass on how learning/practicing works this morning. We had a few hundred folks from around the world. They are making it publicly available for a couple of days to anyone who wants to view. Then is will be for members only. I can't imagine teaching without this information in addition to everything I had already been doing.
http://youtu.be/iC1ecTSvxpI
Thanks Gregg - wow, that was an intense marathon but I made it to the end! So much interesting stuff although at the back of my mind there was always this thought: you really must have a good regular teacher to benefit from this fascinating information and that is not yet something that the guitarist can take for granted. In general, the teaching of other instruments is still more developed.
Something you said really "struck a chord" with me. As success in education depends so much on good memory, why don't they teach memory tecnics in the institutes?? I too have always found this to be a big mystery.
Learnwell
2020-01-30 22:26:16 UTC
Post by tom g
Thanks Gregg - wow, that was an intense marathon but I made it to the end! So much interesting stuff although at the back of my mind there was always this thought: you really must have a good regular teacher to benefit from this fascinating information and that is not yet something that the guitarist can take for granted. In general, the teaching of other instruments is still more developed.
Yes, of course. When I do Practice Coaching with folks around the world it is not in place of lessons it is in addition to them. There is not time, nor do most teachers have the knowledge, to teach the highly unintuitive ways that high efficiency learning really works.
Post by tom g
Something you said really "struck a chord" with me. As success in education depends so much on good memory, why don't they teach memory tecnics in the institutes?? I too have always found this to be a big mystery.
Me as well. I am currently in residence at Arkansas State Universtiy. I've worked with music, several athletic groups, nursing/therapy, autism therapists, a local STEAM middle school, high school, the general public and I've met with the university provost to advise on their future curricular vision.

I've started all of my sessions with a round of dual coding which is the cure for testing anxiety. They are astonished they can put anything into their memory with flawless recall. I always ask why in the world we are not teaching this instead of trying to accommodate TA. The cognitive sciences are siloed from our schools of education. I intend to change that, or at least marginalize it. As far as I can tell I'm the only one who is living in that gap, and that is what people around the world are telling me as well.

It has been a long, but steadily upward, trajectory. When you've got something significant to offer best practices will rise to the top.