Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”
2021-05-09 16:05:11 UTC
Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
rose.
JMF
2021-05-10 06:36:58 UTC
Ah, what's in a name ...
Ken Blake
2021-05-10 14:48:04 UTC
Post by JMF
Post by Matt Faunce
Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
rose.
Ah, what's in a name ...
...that which we call a rosewood...
Ken
Ken Blake
2021-05-10 17:31:59 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by JMF
Post by Matt Faunce
Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
rose.
Ah, what's in a name ...
...that which we call a rosewood...
or better, ...that which we call a rosewood smell...
Ken
dsi1
2021-05-24 20:30:51 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
rose.
It is a fragrant wood. To me, rosewood smells like Chinese preserved salted plum. It's a "dirty wood." The dust is awful - it gets in your nose and on your clothes. The same thing with ebony. I don't recall ebony having any smell. After working with these woods, you'll be blowing out dark red and black snot out of your nose for a while. It's a rather amusing sight.

2021-05-24 22:09:45 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Matt Faunce
Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
rose.
It is a fragrant wood. To me, rosewood smells like Chinese preserved salted plum. It's a "dirty wood." The dust is awful - it gets in your nose and on your clothes. The same thing with ebony. I don't recall ebony having any smell. After working with these woods, you'll be blowing out dark red and black snot out of your nose for a while. It's a rather amusing sight.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/0130/2663/products/Red_Li_Hing_Mui_2048x.png?v=1586348506
As I'm sure you know, inhaling wood dust is bad. There is no specific
warning about rosewood or ebony dust being carcinogenic in this source,
they are for some reason only specifying nasopharyngeal cancers.
Hardwood dusts are particularly irritating.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
dsi1
2021-05-24 23:37:21 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Matt Faunce
[...]
I made my guitar back in the early 70's. We did a lot of things that were bad back in those days - like not eating gluten-free, eating foods without pull dates, and skateboarding on metal wheels. It's a miracle we survived. I remember my guitar teacher watching me while chain-smoking Marlboros. He wouldn't say a word. He just watched me with an amused look on his face, like he was remembering a particularly funny incident in his life.
These days we know better. I would insist on wearing a face mask the next time I find myself sanding dirty wood. OTOH, since the guitar I built was pretty much a unmitigated disaster, there's little chance of me finding myself in that position again. It's also a good idea that kids remember to wear a respirator if their guitar teacher loves to chain smoke. That's Guitar 101 right there.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-05-25 16:54:37 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by dsi1
Post by Matt Faunce
[...]
LOL--well yes, that youthful feeling of invulnerability left me a long
time ago.
Take care, David!

2021-05-25 20:22:47 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by dsi1
Post by dsi1
Post by Matt Faunce
[...]
Steve
Me too. That's one heck of a chart, BTW. If trees had any brains, they would all be too poisonous to handle - like tambootie. It's a funny sounding wood that could make you go blind! I like that - a guitar made only to be played by blind folks. :)