Vote For Live Music
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-06 04:06:06 UTC
I have been playing classical guitar Wednesdays and Fridays since July
2010 at place called Alouette in New York City. They feature jazz
guitar on Tuesdays. Here is the lineup:

http://www.alouettenyc.com/Coming_Events.html

Alouette has been struggling for the past two years trying to stay
afloat. These hard economic times are affecting everyone, especially
small businesses.

They do good business, often every table taken, but high interest
loans, high rent, and annual taxes which have more than tripled in the
last two years have forced them to file for Chapter 11
(reorganization).

You may have read about this: LivingSocial and Chase have teamed up
with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to launch Mission: Small Business,
which will award $250,000 grants to each of up to a dozen small firms
across the country.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chase-and-livingsocial-launch-mission-small-business-grant-program-2012-05-07

Alouette has applied for one of the grants thru www.missionsmallbusiness.com
- however, in order to even be considered they need to get a minimum
of 250 votes at that site. If you go to that link you write in -
Alouette- and -New York State- and -New York City-. This grant would
help them get out of Ch. 11 and stay in business.

Alouette is a wonderful place on the Upper West Side of New York. We
see locals and also people from all over the world. Many musicians,
theater people, and music and arts lovers live nearby and are
regulars.

My fellow guitarists who play at Alouette agree with me that the
owners, Jon and Mayra Pardo, husband and wife, are great people to
work for. Both born in Cuba and raised in the U.S. (Cubans owning a
French restaurant? very New York!), they grew up with guitar music and
love having live music at Alouette. I'm sure you all know that steady
live music gigs are vanishing, everywhere. I've had some great steady
gigs in NY over the years; Alouette is the one I've enjoyed the most.

We would greatly appreciate it if you would vote for Alouette, a vote
for them is also a vote for live music!

Thank you,

Andrew Schulman
http://www.abacaproductions.com/
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-06 04:11:13 UTC
This link will work, I hope:

https://www.missionsmallbusiness.com/
Richard Jernigan
2012-06-06 07:45:19 UTC
Done.

RNJ
g***@tds.net
2012-06-06 12:55:32 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
https://www.missionsmallbusiness.com/
Andrew,
I went to the link you posted and do not know how to sign up so that I can support Alouette. I see other folks here have added their names but I'm not sure how to do that. The only way to sign is through Facebook? I've a feeling I am the only one in the USA not to visit Facebook!

Charlie
Steven Bornfeld
2012-06-06 14:04:31 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
https://www.missionsmallbusiness.com/
I don't see a place to write in a vote on that page--only register/login
and support buttons.

Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
718-258-5001
wollybird
John Nguyen
2012-06-06 10:28:54 UTC
Done!

John
JPD
#42. Good luck!
Slogoin
2012-06-06 12:36:51 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
We would greatly appreciate it if you would vote for Alouette, a vote
for them is also a vote for live music!
Thank you,
Andrew Schulmanhttp://www.abacaproductions.com/
I'll log on my wife's Facebook account later and add a vote. Gotta
keep live music alive! Great work Andrew and I hope they get the
funding.
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-06 14:10:17 UTC
Many thanks everyone!

Charlie, Steve, you have to have a Facebook account. You may not want
to do that, but if you can, spread the word to other friends who may
be on Facebook and some may vote.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help.

Andrew
Steven Bornfeld
2012-06-06 22:23:25 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Many thanks everyone!
Charlie, Steve, you have to have a Facebook account. You may not want
to do that, but if you can, spread the word to other friends who may
be on Facebook and some may vote.
Again, thanks to everyone for the help.
Andrew
OK--done!

S.
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
718-258-5001
Andrew Schulman

Andrew
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-06 20:16:48 UTC
Someone posted this at another forum, to help make the process easier
-

"Under the *City* tab, you have to choose "New York". There are a lot
of choices, I chose "NYC" and it wasn't listed."

Thanks again to all who have voted or plan to, Alouette has picked up
a good number of votes since last night.

Andrew
Steve Freides

-S-
Steven Bornfeld
2012-06-07 20:08:40 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
Post by Andrew Schulman
Someone posted this at another forum, to help make the process easier
-
"Under the *City* tab, you have to choose "New York". There are a lot
of choices, I chose "NYC" and it wasn't listed."
Thanks again to all who have voted or plan to, Alouette has picked up
a good number of votes since last night.
Andrew
I am vote #58.
-S-
Wait a sec--I see Kevin's Childbloom in Austin--now with 40 votes (I'm
#41)--and the Childbloom Guitar Program in St. Peters, MO--who are these
upstarts? Are they affiliated, or are they just stealing your votes?

Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
718-258-5001
ktaylor
#41)--and the Childbloom Guitar Program in St. Peters, MO--who are these
upstarts?  Are they affiliated, or are they just stealing your votes?
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDShttp://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
The Childbloom Program in St. Peter's is one of our Licensees. You can
vote for both.

TIA.,

Kevin
wollybird
#41)--and the Childbloom Guitar Program in St. Peters, MO--who are these
upstarts?  Are they affiliated, or are they just stealing your votes?
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDShttp://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
The Childbloom Program in St. Peter's is one of our Licensees. You can
vote for both.
TIA.,
Kevin
It's a capital intensive business.

Slogoin
2012-06-06 23:49:25 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
We would greatly appreciate it if you would vote for Alouette, a vote
for them is also a vote for live music!
Andrew,

I voted with my wife's Facebook account but I noticed 6 votes for
another Alouette with the same address but it didn't say it was
French Bistro, just the name. I hope those 6 votes count. You got a
ways to go to get 250. I try to get some of the guys here to vote for
it too.

Good luck, and maybe some day you can come to the island a play for
us. :-)
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-07 03:57:15 UTC
  Andrew,
   I voted with my wife's Facebook account but I noticed 6 votes for
another Alouette with the same address but it didn't say it was
French Bistro, just the name. I hope those 6 votes count. You got a
ways to go to get 250. I try to get some of the guys here to vote for
it too.
Thanks!
  Good luck, and maybe some day you can come to the island a play for
us. :-)
Do you have a SICU there?

:-)

Andrew
Slogoin
2012-06-07 10:40:52 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Do you have a SICU there?
:-)
No, just a clinic with a nurse, not even a doctor. We could use the
grant but it's not in the US, so...
ktaylor
2012-06-07 03:16:49 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]

I always vote for live music - and will as soon as I post this. But
while you're at it, I know one business that also needs votes (the
Childbloom Co.). We are applying for the same grant. We are not going
out of business and this grant would enable us to support at least 20
new programs in 20 different demographic areas in the U.S., create
state-of-the-art training facilities and significantly diminish the
risk and investment for interested classical guitar teachers.

You can vote once for any number of businesses.
Same website. Search for Childbloom Co. Many thanks who take the time
to vote.

Kevin Taylor
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-07 03:56:13 UTC
Post by g***@tds.net
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
Kevin, I just voted for Childbloom Co.!

Good luck, I hope you and Alouette get grants,

Andrew
ktaylor
2012-06-07 04:06:36 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by g***@tds.net
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
Thanks, Andrew!!! I did for Alouette, also. Keep passing the word. I
actually feel good about our proposal because we have a national
reach. But to get it to the judges we need about 220 more votes.

Kevin
John Nguyen
# 36 done!
ktaylor

Kevin
Slogoin
2012-06-07 11:00:58 UTC
Post by ktaylor
this grant would enable us to support at least 20
new programs in 20 different demographic areas
in the U.S., create state-of-the-art training facilities
and significantly diminish the risk and investment
for interested classical guitar teachers.
I could do a LOT with that kind of money and would be happy to have
any facilities besides the cramped classroom and apartment I use now.
I had five students in my apartment after school yesterday and tried
to fix a trumpet for one new kid but I need better tools to fix a
jammed valve. The warm damp sea air wrecks havoc on musical
instruments.

I'm working on getting more funding and plan on starting the first
CG program in this country but everything moves so slowly here and can
be very frustrating if you are used to how things work in the US.

Good luck and I hope both of you guys get funded. I believe live
music and music education are fundamental to the health of all
cultures and both of you are doing great work, IMO.

I'll get on my wife's account again and vote for you too. So many of
the people around here are on FaceBook that I'm seriously considering
getting an account. {:-0
John

John
Andrew Schulman
2012-06-07 21:27:30 UTC
Alouette is picking up steam, Mayra and Jon asked me to extend their
deep appreciation for the votes.

Andrew