Xuefei Yang in SF?
Lecter
2004-02-22 23:44:37 UTC
Did anyone attend this young lady's amazing SF recital? I did, and I'm still
reeling from it! Her technique must be seen/heard to be believed. Such
effortless scales, incredibly fast/smooth arpeggios, wonderful tone, you
name it!Here's her program:

.K. MERTZ Fantaisie Hongroise, Op.65
J.S BACH Chaconne from Violin Parita No.2, BWV 1004
ROLAND DYENS Saudaude No. 3
ISAAC ALBENIZ Mallorca; Sevilla
WILLIAM WALTON Five Bagatelles
CARLO DOMENICONI I Qing ( written for Xuefei Yang)
ALBERTO GINASTERA Sonata, Op.47

I thought her Bach was a tad underpowered, but she played it beautifully.
The Domeniconi and Ginastera were mind blowing. What made the performance
even more amazing is that while filing her calluses earlier in the day, she
cracked the one on her left hand pinky, causing it to bleed rather heavily.
She then super-glued it together and played anyway! If this in any way
affected her performance, it certainly wasn't noticeable from the 6th row!

Be sure to see her if she plays near you.
richard c. spross
2004-02-23 00:07:46 UTC
I had no qualms about it being great. I have to rely on a report by one
of my students. Judging from your enthusiasm I'm sure he'll come
back tomorrow all a glow.

I'm in for Pepe.
Thanks for the report
and why don't you give me a shout
and come over to my place for a visit?

Richard
Lutemann
2004-02-23 02:56:39 UTC
You should mention the music. She's is one of the few concertt guitarists out
there who bothers to interpret the music.

Kent Murdick
Free Guitar Instruction CD/Video: Go to http://stringdancer.com/
and search for Murdick
http://members.aol.com/lutemann/guitar.html
Steven Bornfeld
2004-02-23 03:20:32 UTC
Post by Lutemann
You should mention the music. She's is one of the few concertt guitarists out
there who bothers to interpret the music.
The children!! For God's sake, what about the children?

Steve
Aryeh Eller
2004-02-23 01:26:56 UTC
Post by Lecter
[...]
Sounds like a great concert, thanks for sharing. How was the Domeniconi
as far as its musical style? - From its title it sounds like it might be
in one of Carlo's special tunings.

Did she tell the gory story about her bleeding calluses and the
superglue fix-it from the stage? It can't be!
--
Aryeh Eller

http://www.aryeheller.com
Lecter
2004-02-23 02:45:55 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Sounds like a great concert, thanks for sharing. How was the Domeniconi
as far as its musical style? - From its title it sounds like it might be
in one of Carlo's special tunings.
Yes, the low E drops to a C...I *think* that was the main change. She
announced the special tuning, but her soft voice and heavy accent made
comprehension a bit tricky. The piece is based on the Chinese philosophy of
ying/yang...at least that's what I *think* she said! It definitely had a
Chinese feel. As expected, it was staggeringly virtuosic at times. It does
not have the immediate melodic appeal of Koyunbaba, but repeated hearings
might change that opinion. She is currently working on a new CD for GSP that
will include works from or inspired by China.
Post by Aryeh Eller
Did she tell the gory story about her bleeding calluses and the superglue
fix-it from the stage? It can't be!
No, the promoter told me--she did not want it announced. As I said before,
there was no hint of discomfort of impairment--of course, she might have
silently screamed each time her pinky touched the fingerboard!
Post by Aryeh Eller
--
Aryeh Eller
http://www.aryeheller.com
John Wasak
2004-02-23 03:16:42 UTC
Post by Lecter
ying/yang...at least that's what I *think* she said!
By the spelling I would think it's a reference to the I Ching.

jw
John Wasak
2004-02-23 03:27:11 UTC
Post by Lecter
It definitely had a
Chinese feel.
Oh, I wanted to add in that last post (but somehow didn't...)

(sort of a Now Playing) - I'm just listening to John Schneider play some
Lou Harrison (on STEEL guitar!). Harrison's "Palace Music" sure has a
Chinese feel!

;-)

jw
Steven Bornfeld
2004-02-23 03:11:30 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Lecter
[...]
That was my thought. Hope the carnage wasn't visible during the
performance.
Personally, I haven't had much in the way of calluses since I played a
lot of steel string. That could change, as I just bought a Martin
OM-28V on ebay.
Still, nice to hear about another "wundergirl"!

Steve
John Wasak
2004-02-23 03:27:46 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Personally, I haven't had much in the way of calluses since I played a
lot of steel string. That could change, as I just bought a Martin
OM-28V on ebay.
Hey, congratulations - now that's a good guitar! Or at least, it should be!

I've got one of those too, but it's one of the originals VR....

BTW, weren't you supposed to be buying a new *classical* guitar?!?!

;-)

jw
Steven Bornfeld
2004-02-23 03:36:21 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Personally, I haven't had much in the way of calluses since I played a
lot of steel string. That could change, as I just bought a Martin
OM-28V on ebay.
Hey, congratulations - now that's a good guitar! Or at least, it should be!
I've got one of those too, but it's one of the originals VR....
BTW, weren't you supposed to be buying a new *classical* guitar?!?!
;-)
jw
Yeah, that could happen. But we'll have to buy a house for extra
storage, or more likely I will be trying to sell my Gurian JR which I
pretty much never play. I'll have to put up with whining from my
daughter though--something about the blue fuzzy case. Maybe the Martin
case is as fuzzy.
Funny how I can get sentimental about something I rarely play, but I
bought it at Umanov's in 1977--life was very different then!

Steve
John Wasak
2004-02-23 03:42:27 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by John Wasak
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Personally, I haven't had much in the way of calluses since I played a
lot of steel string. That could change, as I just bought a Martin
OM-28V on ebay.
Hey, congratulations - now that's a good guitar! Or at least, it should be!
I've got one of those too, but it's one of the originals VR....
BTW, weren't you supposed to be buying a new *classical* guitar?!?!
;-)
jw
Yeah, that could happen. But we'll have to buy a house for extra
storage, or more likely I will be trying to sell my Gurian JR which I
pretty much never play. I'll have to put up with whining from my
daughter though--something about the blue fuzzy case. Maybe the Martin
case is as fuzzy.
The cases that come with those are pretty nice. Sort of like a crushed
green velvet..I'm sure she'll like the new one even better! ;-)
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Funny how I can get sentimental about something I rarely play, but I
bought it at Umanov's in 1977--life was very different then!
Steve
Well, sure... So was Umanov's!

jw
Steven Bornfeld
2004-02-23 03:51:23 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Funny how I can get sentimental about something I rarely play, but I
bought it at Umanov's in 1977--life was very different then!
Steve
Well, sure... So was Umanov's!
jw
Yeah, you walked in and you actually saw Matt there. We graduated the
same high school (Brooklyn Tech). I think he is 4 or 5 years older than
I am. Bob Jones, who Ed and I are friendly with, repaired instruments
for Umanov back then.

Steve
John Wasak