OT: Google Groups Access to Usenet
2021-05-15 21:29:26 UTC
I wonder how many people used to post messages here via Google Groups on
their phone, but now don’t post here because that’s not an option anymore.
I just noticed this on Google Groups:

“Using new Groups on mobile

“You can use Groups on your mobile device to search for and view groups,
conversations, and your membership settings.

“To perform tasks such as creating a group or posting to a conversation,
use the full desktop version of Groups. Many popular browsers let you view
the desktop version of a site on a mobile device. For example, in Google
Chrome, in the top right,”
2021-05-15 21:46:27 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
I wonder how many people used to post messages here via Google Groups on
their phone, but now don’t post here because that’s not an option anymore.
“Using new Groups on mobile
“You can use Groups on your mobile device to search for and view groups,
conversations, and your membership settings.
“To perform tasks such as creating a group or posting to a conversation,
use the full desktop version of Groups. Many popular browsers let you view
the desktop version of a site on a mobile device. For example, in Google
Chrome, in the top right,”
OK, it is an option, but... On the iPhone, on Safari, in the upper left
corner, next to the URL, you can tap on “Aa” and a menu will fall down
which has “Request Desktop Website”. But then, damn, it’s so small. You can
then magnify it up to 300%... I wonder why they eliminated the ability to
post via their mobile website. Actually, I think I know.
2021-05-24 05:36:39 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
I wonder how many people used to post messages here via Google Groups on
their phone, but now don’t post here because that’s not an option anymore.
“Using new Groups on mobile
“You can use Groups on your mobile device to search for and view groups,
conversations, and your membership settings.
“To perform tasks such as creating a group or posting to a conversation,
use the full desktop version of Groups. Many popular browsers let you view
the desktop version of a site on a mobile device. For example, in Google
Chrome, in the top right,”
The new GG won't let you examine the header information of a post. You can't access the group analytics such as posting frequency of individual posters or number of posts per months or the top ten posters of a newsgroup. These features were useful in verifying the identity of the persons posting. These days, you're flying blind. The mobile interface is read only. The new GG interface mostly removed access to useful features. That's the breaks.