Parkening in pain?
Jackson K. Eskew
2006-11-16 01:23:33 UTC
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."

This statement is made here:

http://www.mangore.com/carlevaro.html

I never hear such moans when I listen to P's wonderful playing. You?
Tashi
2006-11-16 01:32:54 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
http://www.mangore.com/carlevaro.html
I never hear such moans when I listen to P's wonderful playing. You?
Ever listen to Glen Gould? There goes your theory rookie.
MT
Jackson K. Eskew
2006-11-16 02:05:27 UTC
Post by Tashi
Ever listen to Glen Gould? There goes your theory rookie.
MT
I've stated no theory, Fyodor; thus, as usual, your response is a non
sequitur. I suggest this for you:

http://tinyurl.com/y5f8wb

And get this: It's on sale!
Andrew Schulman
2006-11-16 02:03:07 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
Based on my recent experience this is not true, at least for me. Very
little strength needed for what you are describing, as compared to the
strength needed for many other ordinary things, like lifting a book or
cutting a piece of bread.

Andrew
Charlie
2006-11-16 10:14:04 UTC
I agree. Thre is no strength needed to not make string noise. Precision is
needed.

Charlie
Steven Bornfeld
2006-11-16 03:55:24 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
http://www.mangore.com/carlevaro.html
I never hear such moans when I listen to P's wonderful playing. You?
Yes. I never interpreted them as pain though, any more than those of
Glen Gould, Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, etc.

Steve
Alain Reiher
2006-11-16 07:54:12 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
http://www.mangore.com/carlevaro.html
I never hear such moans when I listen to P's wonderful playing. You?
Yes. I never interpreted them as pain though, any more than those of Glen
Gould, Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, etc.
Steve
What? No keith Jarret or Steve Khun?

MmmmoOOoo mmmn

Alain
h***@verizon.net
2006-11-16 04:05:28 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
And who the hell is anchoring their left elbow against the waist! That
sounds painful in and of itself!

Seth
Andrew Schulman
2006-11-16 04:26:31 UTC
Post by h***@verizon.net
And who the hell is anchoring their left elbow against the waist! That
sounds painful in and of itself!
I mentioned this the other day; I wouldn't recommend it as a default
position, but for certain situations it is very useful. And it is not
painful or uncomfortable at all, at least it has not been so when I
have used that position. In fact, it is quite helpful when you are
playing with a broken arm!

Andrew
Che'
2006-11-16 05:34:56 UTC
Post by h***@verizon.net
And who the hell is anchoring their left elbow against the waist! That
sounds painful in and of itself!
I mentioned this the other day; I wouldn't recommend it as a default
position, but for certain situations it is very useful. And it is not
painful or uncomfortable at all, at least it has not been so when I
have used that position. In fact, it is quite helpful when you are
playing with a broken arm!
Andrew<
It's part of a dynamic position where nothing is fixed in normal playing.
The only rule is: Whatever gets you through the night. This will not apply
to students..
Andrew Schulman
2006-11-16 16:19:53 UTC
Post by Che'
It's part of a dynamic position where nothing is fixed in normal playing.
The only rule is: Whatever gets you through the night. This will not apply
to students.
Well said-

A.
m***@earthlink.net
2006-11-16 15:07:16 UTC
On 15 Nov 2006 17:23:33 -0800, "Jackson K. Eskew"
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
It's amazing how false rumors such as these have a life of
their own on the 'Net!

Sharon
Secretary to Christopher Parkening
www.parkening.com
Larry Deack
2006-11-16 15:30:13 UTC
Post by m***@earthlink.net
It's amazing how false rumors such
as these have a life of
their own on the 'Net!
No different than before the 'Net'. Lots of stuff around about your
boss before the web but this one is one I have not heard. Is it true he
had a barn that rotated to exercise the horses?
m***@earthlink.net
2006-11-16 17:06:31 UTC
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:30:13 GMT, Larry Deack
Post by Larry Deack
Post by m***@earthlink.net
It's amazing how false rumors such
as these have a life of
their own on the 'Net!
No different than before the 'Net'. Lots of stuff around about your
boss before the web but this one is one I have not heard. Is it true he
had a barn that rotated to exercise the horses?
Wow, now that's one I haven't heard!

When he lived in Montana he had a horse barn. But it did not
rotate.

Good grief!

www.parkening.com
Larry Deack
2006-11-16 17:10:31 UTC
Post by m***@earthlink.net
Wow, now that's one I haven't heard!
I bet there are more you haven't heard but that one was wild!
Post by m***@earthlink.net
When he lived in Montana he had a horse barn. But it did not
rotate.
Good grief!
Cool. See, the 'Net' can also clear things up by getting answers
straight from the horse's mouth.
Che'

Che'
m***@earthlink.net

www.parkening.com
Che'
2006-11-17 17:11:34 UTC
Post by Che'
Post by m***@earthlink.net
When he lived in Montana he had a horse barn. But it did not
rotate.
Can you prove it?!
Yes.
Sharon
Secretary to Christopher Parkening
www.parkening.com<
Sorry Sharon, we have a video of Christopher's barn rotating and the roof
gargoyles laughing on YouTube.

Che'
Arthur Ness
Che'
m***@earthlink.net
2006-11-17 18:15:25 UTC
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:09:32 GMT, "Arthur Ness"
Post by Arthur Ness
But it's sped up on YouTube, to make it seem the horses are running faster
than is possible..
I'm sure MO will weigh in shortly on this thread. . . .
Che'
Fred Banning
Che'
De Camara
Che'
De Camara
2006-11-16 17:52:54 UTC
Hahaha

Now I am not aware of "rotating" barns, LoL

But there are common things like automatic horse walkers!

They are used to work a horse in a pen, or a round.

Very common in the equine circles.

Chris's ex wife, was an avid equestrian.
She is still active in that last I heard.

De Camara
wollybird
Well, OK I guess you should know. Does he groan when he cuts his bread?
e***@yahoo.com

Or cuts the cheese.
De Camara
2006-11-16 17:42:04 UTC
LoL

Does a bear s%$# in the woods!

On a more serious note, he has always been an advocate of singing the
melodies of the piece being played.

Some things work nicely for some people.
Whatever keeps the music beautiful.

Chris's dad was quite tough on him as a young student of the guitar.
And dad always pushed for Chris to keep the beauty in the music.

He was very strict on many other things as well.

Discipline has its merits in shaping a young musician.

It's a hard life to maintain that calibre of performance.

And tolls are always taken over the years/decades.

De Camara
Or cuts the cheese.
John Smith
2008-01-31 04:07:52 UTC
How do you know this?
De Camara
Carlos Barrientos
2008-01-31 08:37:37 UTC
Post by John Smith
How do you know this?
GREAT QUESTION!
--
Carlos Barrientos
"mailto:***@sprintmail.com"
Phone: (512) 218 - 8322
m***@earthlink.net
2008-01-31 14:53:40 UTC
It's true. Read all about it!
http://www.tyndale.com/products/details.asp?isbn=978-1-4143-0046-7

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:37:37 -0600, Carlos Barrientos
Post by Carlos Barrientos
Post by John Smith
How do you know this?
GREAT QUESTION!
De Camara
Charlie
2008-01-31 15:18:28 UTC
what a bunch oif bologna, sheeesh

Charlie
John Smith
2008-01-31 17:07:49 UTC
What, my question?
Charlie
Carlos Barrientos
2008-01-31 16:06:49 UTC
Post by m***@earthlink.net
It's true. Read all about it!
http://www.tyndale.com/products/details.asp?isbn=978-1-4143-0046-7
I;ll take a peek... thanx
Post by m***@earthlink.net
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:37:37 -0600, Carlos Barrientos
Post by Carlos Barrientos
Post by John Smith
How do you know this?
GREAT QUESTION!
Phone: (512-218-8322)
Andrew Schulman
2006-11-16 17:55:39 UTC
Post by wollybird
Well, OK I guess you should know. Does he groan when he cuts his bread?
For the first time in 12 days I did not groan while cutting a piece of
bread. My dogs got very concerned. They said, "What's wrong?".

Andrew
rcspross
2006-11-17 01:02:45 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
It's amazing how false rumors such as these have a life of
their own on the 'Net!
Sharon
Secretary to Christopher Parkening
www.parkening.com
The guy in Brazil, has attempted to debunk all the great artist's
techniques
of one sort or another in an attempt to make his approach appear
revolutionary.
New is good, old is bad, come take lessons from the futurist.
It is a sad commentary on the social order that that which has gone
before
is of no future value. It remains to be seen if followers of this chap
become
the future greats.

He and I got into it here once upon a time and I carefully explained the
whys
of what each guitarist did, that he put a big X by. That ended the
discussion.
He had no rebuttal.

But much misinformation even here in the States continues to be spread
by
self important teachers with out sufficient training beyond what their
teacher taught them.

Richard Spross
James Calivar
2006-11-17 05:39:20 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
"The amount of strength needed to play with little left hand noise
twisting the torso and anchoring the left elbow against the waist is
enormous ( In some of Parkening recordings you can actually hear the
moans of pain here and there)."
http://www.mangore.com/carlevaro.html
I never hear such moans when I listen to P's wonderful playing. You?
Old news. Yuo're not listening hard enough.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.guitar/browse_frm/thread/95cd3a6d5589bae5?q=parkening+headphones&

James