Church-Appropriate CG Music
Steve Freides
2021-06-22 20:43:24 UTC
Howdy, all.

Although I was a classical guitar performance major when I started college, I've gone on to play a lot of instruments and, among others things, I'm in my sixth year as a church organist, and one of the things I've noticed is that the members of my church really like it when I use classical guitar during the service.

To date, I've only done this a few times a year and, when I have, my two favorite pieces have a been "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" in this arrangement, which I've tweaked a little

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Jesu-solo.pdf

and also a CG transcription/arrangement of the Canon in D (Pachelbel) by Per-Olov Kindgren, video here:

I'd love other suggestions. Hymn tunes harmonized and whatever else you might actually use that's well-received in a church setting. (FWIW, I also do things like improvise an arrangement of "Amazing Grace" - those kinds of suggestions are welcomed also.)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-
JMF
2021-06-23 13:15:38 UTC
and also a CG transcription/arrangement of the Canon in D (Pachelbel) by Per-Olov Kindgren, video here: http://youtu.be/jXC9tuumjiA
I'd love other suggestions. Hymn tunes harmonized and whatever else you might actually use that's well-received in a church setting. (FWIW, I also do things like improvise an arrangement of "Amazing Grace" - those kinds of suggestions are welcomed also.)
Thanks in advance for your replies.
-S-
I haven't actually used this in church, but it seems to be an
appropriate reflective kind of piece: the Cavatina of Stanley Myers.
Given the way in which it became famous, it could also be seen as an
anti-war piece.

John
JMF
2021-06-24 15:56:24 UTC
http://youtu.be/jXC9tuumjiA
I'd love other suggestions.  Hymn tunes harmonized and whatever else
you might actually use that's well-received in a church setting.
(FWIW, I also do things like improvise an arrangement of "Amazing
Grace" - those kinds of suggestions are welcomed also.)
Thanks in advance for your replies.
-S-
I haven't actually used this in church, but it seems to be an
appropriate reflective kind of piece: the Cavatina of Stanley Myers.
Given the way in which it became famous, it could also be seen as an
anti-war piece.
John
... and maybe Simple Gifts?