Happy Halloween!
John Rimmer
2003-11-01 01:46:34 UTC
I'm not sure if the keeblers are done for the night, but I am. I dressed up
as the grim reaper and played a "tubular bells" sorta-thingy for about 2
hours mixed with Richard's arrangement of Cello Suite #1's Prelude.

Matanya, I have not forgotten the Russian music -- actually I'm about also
working on the first Vasilii Sarenko Etude. But I do not have it all to
memory. It is similar to other etudes I have came across, but more
interesting, developed, and beautiful. Oh yeah, I also handed out flyers
for a local guitar school...

Nylon Cheers!

John

Note: So much music...so little time...should have started 15 years
earlier!
Matanya Ophee
2003-11-01 02:57:09 UTC
Post by John Rimmer
Note: So much music...so little time...should have started 15 years
earlier!
I started 48 years ago, at the age of 23. No way of telling what would
have happened if I started much earlier, but after a couple of hours
on this amazing guitar, today, I am overwhelmed by the joy of it all.

Now speaking of the prelude of the First Cello Suite. This will be the
first piece I shall play in Merida. An arrangement for the Russian
seven string guitar ( in C Major) made by one Vasilli Iuriev in 1939.
Of course, I changed a few things in it here and there, added a few
additional basses which I am renting from Stanley, (We haven't agreed
yet on the level of the rent...) and getting the piece more or less in
shape.

Now the question is: how fast?

Richard is playing this at 3:47. Stanley at 2:42, and Rostropovich at
2:20. I find it a lot easier to play at the aster tempo, because I
tend to lose the thread of it at the slower tempo. But how fast this
can be played and still be sustained as a piece of music?

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.orphee.com
http://www.orphee.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
http://www.savageclassical.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
John Rimmer
2003-11-01 03:39:47 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by John Rimmer
[...]
And Jie Li in ~ 2:29 (from video)! This is the tempo I envision, but I'm
playing it slower for now until I get all my neural trails mapped and
synchronized..

Nylon Cheers!

John
John Rimmer
2003-11-01 04:04:53 UTC
Post by John Rimmer
Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by John Rimmer
[...]
This actually gave me an idea...play along with Jie Li! Just place a capo
on the 2nd fret, First up Media Player and I'm in business. Now this is a
hoot because Ms. Li's arrangement is much fuller and so it comes off (from
my ears behind the guitar) as a duet. And she does not even complain when I
stop and start over. Fun, fun, fun!

Nylon Cheers!

John
Richard F. Sayage
2003-11-01 06:18:47 UTC
Hi Matanya,

If I'm right in thinking that you're speaking of my rendition of the
Prelude, I actually play this at about 2:35 on the version at my site.
Whether this is a good tempo or even the suggested one is a whole other
point, though I agree with you that "too" fast and then you are left
questioning whether we have a piece of music? My opinion is that it becomes
a muddled and mechanical exercise with no redeeming quality of expression.
Glenn Gould comes to mind....just because you can .... doesn't mean you
should. Believe me, I can play it fast, as I'm sure Stanley or any other
experienced player can. Would they let you hear it? Well maybe I
would...but only as an exercise in crackin' you up, much like my Invention
#1 rendition so many months back :-) Now that made me and my silly ass
laugh real hard that day... Peace.
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com

Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by John Rimmer
[...]
---
Matanya Ophee
2003-11-01 14:31:18 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Hi Matanya,
If I'm right in thinking that you're speaking of my rendition of the
Prelude, I actually play this at about 2:35
Oops. I must have mistook the file size for the timing....

Richard F. Sayage
2003-11-01 14:43:42 UTC
No worries, brother :-) Have a good day and enjoy that monster guitar...
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com

Greg M. Silverman
#1 rendition so many months back :-) Now that made me and my silly ass
laugh real hard that day... Peace.
if you're in control, then it's not too fast. oui?

gms---
Post by Richard F. Sayage
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com
Richard F. Sayage
2003-11-01 16:29:35 UTC
Is this a challenge Mr. Silverman? :-)

hehe and a big wheeeeeee !!!

Yeah, you're right....Gould playing Invention #1 in like....oh hell, I don't
know, what was it....24 seconds...maybe less. yeah, that sounded good, if
you're a crack ho, gulping Jolt, and grabbing onto your crank for the first
time....like you just discovered what you can do with it....

Rodney Dangerfield: We were so poor, when I was a kid, if wasn't a boy, I'd
have had nothing to play with....

Now that's a halloweenie story for you....quite scary...oooh...
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com

#1 rendition so many months back :-) Now that made me and my silly ass
Post by Richard F. Sayage
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com
John Wasak
2003-11-02 02:00:01 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Whether this is a good tempo or even the suggested one is a whole other
point, though I agree with you that "too" fast and then you are left
questioning whether we have a piece of music? My opinion is that it becomes
a muddled and mechanical exercise with no redeeming quality of expression.
Glenn Gould comes to mind....just because you can .... doesn't mean you
should.
When has Glenn Gould playing Bach ever been a muddled? (who has more clarity
in the voices?) and mechanical exercise? (mechanical - more like marvelous!)
Perhaps this is a matter of the Big O (Opinion)... in that case, IMO, Gould
is the ultimate interpreter of JS Bach.

[It's like a religion..and I believe!!!...Yessir, bro'....!]

jw
Richard F. Sayage
2003-11-02 04:34:01 UTC
Ah no John, no misinterpretation here, please. Glenn's as good as they
come. I did not say HE. I said IT. My one statement regarding him is
"just because you can .... doesn't mean you should". And yes, a damn good
interpreter he is, usually. :-) hehe see ya
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com

http://www.orphee.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html