polish
Bernie Cosell
2021-07-04 15:23:39 UTC
My lovely Ramirez has accumulated assorted smears and such. What kind of
guitar polish would you recommend? Amazon has a dozen or more brands --
does it make much of a difference? thanks

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
***@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--
John
2021-07-04 19:44:35 UTC
I would try an old cotton T-shirt, washed many times and thus soft, very lightly dampened with water. Rub several times lightly on the smears.

If that doesn't do the trick, Dr. Duck's Axe Wax is a popular choice.

John R.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-07-05 03:29:08 UTC
Post by John
I would try an old cotton T-shirt, washed many times and thus soft, very lightly dampened with water. Rub several times lightly on the smears.
If that doesn't do the trick, Dr. Duck's Axe Wax is a popular choice.
John R.
A lot of people recommend Music Nomad products. For matte finish though
you're not supposed to use a polish. They make something they call
"guitar detailer" which is a cleaner suitable for matte finishes. For
gloss finishes they have something called "The Guitar One". Rich Sayage
has some suggestions on his website:

https://www.savageclassical.com/product-category/accessories/bees-wax/

https://www.savageclassical.com/product-category/accessories/polish/music-nomad/
Gérard Cojot
2021-07-05 05:16:14 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by John
If that doesn't do the trick, Dr. Duck's Axe Wax is a popular choice.
John R.
A lot of people recommend Music Nomad products. For matte finish though
you're not supposed to use a polish. They make something they call
"guitar detailer" which is a cleaner suitable for matte finishes. For
gloss finishes they have something called "The Guitar One". Rich Sayage
https://www.savageclassical.com/product-category/accessories/bees-wax/
https://www.savageclassical.com/product-category/accessories/polish/musi
c-nomad/

Popote des ébénistes.
--
'Bienheureux les fêlés, ils laisseront passer ma lumière'[M.Audiard]
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gerard.cojot/
John
2021-07-06 01:26:32 UTC
Steven, your advice is good, especially insofar as a matte finish might be French polish. Since it's such a delicate finish for the first few years of its life, even the damp T-shirt I recommended would be a bad idea. Lacquer and polyurethane finishes are much more durable. Since the OP didn't say which model Ramirez he had, we don't know what kind of finish it has.

Richard Sayage is also a good recommendation: he seems to have one of the good guitar shops in the world, that I'd like to visit some day.

Thanks for the corrections.

John R.
Bernie Cosell
2021-07-08 14:53:22 UTC
John <***@gmail.com> wrote:

} ...Since the OP didn't say which model Ramirez he had, we don't know what kind of finish it has.

1972 1a. It has a shiny finish.

} Richard Sayage is also a good recommendation: he seems to have one of the good guitar shops in the world, that I'd like to visit some day.

I ordered the polish he recommends.

/b\
Matt Faunce
Gerry
2021-07-07 02:43:53 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
Post by Bernie Cosell
My lovely Ramirez has accumulated assorted smears and such. What kind of
guitar polish would you recommend? Amazon has a dozen or more brands --
does it make much of a difference? thanks
/Bernie\
Windex
I've always used a micro-fiber cloth. I fog the surface with my breath
then clean it with the cloth. I've never needed more in half a century.