Most Powerful Song thread :>)
Edward Bridge
2004-07-13 21:00:59 UTC
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .

JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........

I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)

Your turn : )

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com
Lester Long
2004-07-13 21:20:34 UTC
OK, here are my current most POWERFUL (rather than best):

America the Beautiful Ray Charles
Etude #11 Villa Lobos
War System of a Down
Little Wing SRV
Tocatta and Fugue JSB
Ride of the Valkyries Wagner
Malaguena Various
V Symphony LVB
Cats in the Cradle Harry Chapin

Regards,
Lester Long
Charles De Coster
2004-07-13 21:29:49 UTC
Zelter/Goethe "Um Mitternacht".
CdC
_____________________
http://polyhymnion.org/lieder
Ray Kelly
2004-07-13 21:52:02 UTC
How about Maria's song to the Captain from the "Sound of Music"? 'Tis a
favorite song of mine:

Perhaps I had a wicked childhood.
Perhaps I had a miserable youth.
But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past,
I must have had a moment of truth.

For here you are,
standing there,
loving me.
Whether or not, you should.

So somewhere in my youth, or childhood,
I must have done something good.

Nothing comes from nothing,
Nothing ever could,
So somewhere in my youth, or childhood,
I must have done something good.

What's more powerful than love? (other than death!)

Ray
Larry Deack
2004-07-13 21:58:34 UTC
"Ray Kelly"
Post by Ray Kelly
What's more powerful than love? (other than death!)
Aren't most great love stories about great loss with the greatest loss being
death?
Ray Kelly
2004-07-13 22:10:39 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"Ray Kelly"
Post by Ray Kelly
What's more powerful than love? (other than death!)
Aren't most great love stories about great loss with the greatest loss being
death?
Quite true, "Love Story" being one of those love stories!

"Love means never having to say your sorry"

Ray
John Wasak
2004-07-14 00:34:40 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"Ray Kelly"
Post by Ray Kelly
What's more powerful than love? (other than death!)
Aren't most great love stories about great loss with the greatest loss being
death?
While no one could take Death lightly, since we started with Eleanor Rigby,
I had, in my choices, the theme of loss and loneliness. In that category,
I'll repeat:

'Lush Life' by Billy Strayhorn - ("And there I'll be, while I rot with the
rest/Of those whose lives are lonely too.")

Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone' - (When you got nothing, you got nothing to
lose/You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal./How does it
feel/To be on your own/With no direction home./Like a complete unknown/Like
a rolling stone?")

'Amazing Grace' - ("how sweet the sound/That saved a wretch like me/I once
was lost but now am found/Was blind, but now, I see.") [really more about
redemption, but still touches on the loss of self]

Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - ("And as I wonder where you
are/ I'm so lonesome I could cry.")

Puccini''s 'Un Bel Di Vedremo' - ("Tutto questo avverrà,te lo
prometto./Tienti la tua paura,io con sicura fede l'aspetto") [A trusting
loneliness?]

jw
Olof Johansson
2004-07-13 21:51:58 UTC
Cool! My take would be:
I attempt from love's sickness to fly (Purcell)
Never weather-beaten sail (Thomas Campion)
Mr. Bojangles (Nina Simone)
Sunshiny day (Jimmy Cliff)
Mercedes Benz (Janis Joplin)
Robert Crim
2004-07-13 22:29:08 UTC
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:00:59 GMT, "Edward Bridge"
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........
I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)
Your turn : )
Reach back farther to Dowland. Think of "Lachrimae" in all it's
manifestations, or "Come Heavy Sleep." Follow those two up with "In
Darkness Let Me Dwell" and you have a trio of powerful songs worthy of
the category.

Hank Williams? Dylan? Surely you jest......badly.

Robert
Larry Deack
2004-07-13 23:12:16 UTC
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
Reach back farther to Dowland. Think of "Lachrimae" in all it's
manifestations, or "Come Heavy Sleep." Follow those two up with "In
Darkness Let Me Dwell" and you have a trio of powerful songs worthy of
the category.
I'll second that since I brought up Dowland's Come Heavy Sleep in the
other thread this one came from. Here are the words although I read
someplace that he may not have written them but I'm 2L2G. Great piece to do
with good singer.

Come Heavy Sleep

Come heavy sleep, the image of true death,
And close up these my weary weeping eyes,
Whose spring of tears doth stop my vital breath
Come, and possess my tired thought-worn soul
That in living dies, till thou on me be stole.

Come, shadow of my end and shape of rest,
Allied to death, child to his black-faced night;
Come thou and charm these rebels in my breast
Whose waking fancies do my mind affright.
O come sweet sleep, come or I die for ever,
Come ere my last sleep comes, or come never.
John Wasak
2004-07-14 00:09:18 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........
I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)
Your turn : )
Reach back farther to Dowland. Think of "Lachrimae" in all it's
manifestations, or "Come Heavy Sleep." Follow those two up with "In
Darkness Let Me Dwell" and you have a trio of powerful songs worthy of
the category.
Hank Williams? Dylan? Surely you jest......badly.
Robert
No, no, no jesting....not badly or goodly. I suppose a "powerful song" is
something best defined by each individual listener. In that sense, it's a
lot like beauty, that is, it's where you find it, and one would be both
hard-pressed and frankly, foolhardy, to suggest that anyone's sense of a
powerful song is an incorrect sense of a powerful song.

But going beyond that, I'm guessing by your comment that you are unaware of
Dylan studies in general and specifically a new book titled "Dylan's Vision
Of Sin" by Christopher Ricks. Ricks, a well-known British literary critic
and newly elected Oxford Professor of Poetry, gives here a close reading of
Dylan's lyrics. Without getting into the details, one could say that he
regards Dylan's visionary fecundity with a kind of awe that one might
usually find reserved for discussions of Blake or Whitman. Now, I'm not
sure I'm actually willing to go that far with Ricks at this point in time,
but then, I guess, as in all critical opinions, time will tell as to the
worth of his ideas.

Also I'd add, initially, since this thread came as an offshoot of a Beatles
thread, I had in my mind more the Popular song than the Art song. Dowland
is surely the province of the Art Song. Now, I realize some may quibble
with my inclusion of a popular Puccini aria. I'd say I feel that the more
popular of the well-known Puccini arias tend, in my mind, to qualify as
popular song. Else, we could just go to certain poets and their poetry set
to music by certain composers. This would usually admit into this
discussion some surely powerful lyrics, but again, I've stayed away for
reasons that I'd thought to stick to the more-or less Popular song. As for
the jazz tune "Lush Life", it's likely very little-known these days and
qualifies as popular only insofar as it falls under the category of Jazz,
and Jazz is (at least in the US) usually lunped into the category of Popular
music. God only knows why, since Jazz music has ceased to be Popular music
in the United States for a good long long time. [As for some of the other
picks, I suppose for purposes of at least limiting people's lists, if
nothing else, "song" should probably be defined as having words and music
together rather than something with a strictly instrumental nature.]

As for Hank Williams, hell, he's the Hillbilly Shakespeare, didn't ya' know?
;-)

----------
"Did you ever see a robin weep?
When leaves begin to die
Like me he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome I could cry

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry"

(from "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" --Hank Williams)
-----------

jw
Robert Crim
2004-07-14 13:45:22 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
Post by Edward Bridge
[...]
My apologies. I assumed it had something to do with classical music
and something guitar related in some way.

My mistake.

Robert
elmcmeen
2004-07-14 13:48:09 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
and something guitar related in some way.
My mistake.
Robert
The most powerful music may not be guitar music, unless it's electric.

Uh, oh, incoming...

Robert Crim
2004-07-14 14:02:36 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
and something guitar related in some way.
My mistake.
Robert
The most powerful music may not be guitar music, unless it's electric.
Uh, oh, incoming...
I forgot that there are those that measure the power of music in
watts.

R.
Larry Deack
2004-07-14 14:44:54 UTC
... and the number of recordings sold.
John Wasak

jw
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 17:24:31 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
I forgot that there are those that measure the power of music in
watts.
Robert Crim

We been doing early music this week some Alonso Mudarra , that we put to
guitar/voice . I have to say , the music has a lot of power and beauty.

Sunday we're going to do "Triste Estava El Rey David" a simple powerful
music IMO .

Robert Crim
2004-07-14 17:53:50 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:24:31 GMT, "Edward Bridge"
Post by Larry Deack
Post by Robert Crim
I forgot that there are those that measure the power of music in
watts.
Robert Crim
We been doing early music this week some Alonso Mudarra , that we put to
guitar/voice . I have to say , the music has a lot of power and beauty.
Sunday we're going to do "Triste Estava El Rey David" a simple powerful
music IMO .
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com
Nice. I'd love to hear it. What Mudarra did you put words to? The
David and Absalom story is indeed powerful. Will you have the words
translated?

You folks do a lot of the old stuff. I'm surprised you don't have a
lute or two rattling around the house.

Robert
Robert Crim
2004-07-14 20:07:18 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:18:07 GMT, "Edward Bridge"
my 8 string that feels like a tank on my lap.
You should try an 11 string alto. One thing's for sure.....that
neck isn't going to move.

Robert
Larry Deack
2004-07-14 14:41:17 UTC
So did I.
John Wasak
2004-07-14 16:36:59 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I assumed it had something to do with classical music
and something guitar related in some way.
So did I.
Well now that you know that it didn't, Larry, any thoughts on a powerful pop
song?

jw
Robert Crim
2004-07-14 17:24:23 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Larry Deack
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I assumed it had something to do with classical music
and something guitar related in some way.
So did I.
Well now that you know that it didn't, Larry, any thoughts on a powerful pop
song?
jw
How about "Rump Shaker" by Wreckx-N-Effect? Now *that's* a powerful
pop song suitable for a classical guitar newsgroup.

Robert
John Wasak
2004-07-14 17:56:52 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
Post by John Wasak
Post by Larry Deack
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I assumed it had something to do with classical music
and something guitar related in some way.
So did I.
Well now that you know that it didn't, Larry, any thoughts on a powerful pop
song?
jw
How about "Rump Shaker" by Wreckx-N-Effect? Now *that's* a powerful
pop song suitable for a classical guitar newsgroup.
Robert
Okay. But how did you know that's the one Larry would pick?

;-)

jw
Robert Crim
2004-07-14 17:59:01 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Okay. But how did you know that's the one Larry would pick?
I didn't and I don't.

R.
Larry Deack
2004-07-14 18:06:02 UTC
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I didn't and I don't.
I wouldn't and I won't.
Robert Crim
2004-07-14 18:11:07 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I didn't and I don't.
I wouldn't and I won't.
Then let's don't and say we did.

R.
John Wasak
2004-07-14 18:26:30 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
Post by Larry Deack
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I didn't and I don't.
I wouldn't and I won't.
Then let's don't and say we did.
R.
we better call the calling off off!

jw

PS. To continue the song thread, a trivia Q. What song is that line
from?....
Larry Deack
2004-07-14 18:45:56 UTC
"John Wasak"
Post by John Wasak
we better call the calling off off!
Toemaytoe toemahtoe

Sounds good to me.
John Wasak
2004-07-14 18:56:24 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"John Wasak"
Post by John Wasak
we better call the calling off off!
Toemaytoe toemahtoe
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winnah! I repeat: A winner has been found
in the song trivia Q. No need to send in any more replies.

jw
Aryeh Eller
2004-07-14 23:27:43 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"John Wasak"
Post by John Wasak
we better call the calling off off!
Toemaytoe toemahtoe
Sounds good to me.
Hello Larry,

This is Aryeh Eller. I have apologized to you a few times both here on
the RMCG and in private email for upsetting you a few day ago. Now I see
that you continue to post here as if nothing has happened. At the very
least you can tell me whether you accept my apology or not so I know
where I stand with you. Once again I completely and sincerely apologize
for anything I said to you which caused you to say the things you said
to me a few days ago in the Baden Powell thread.

You always talk about how it's good to meet people in real life which is
much different than the way people interact on a(n) NG like RMCG - Well
I think in real life if were having a conversation or a debate about a
certain topic and I said something that offended you and apologized for
it you would have to acknowledge my apology somehow, wouldn't you? Or
would you just walk away? Because right now you're just walking away and
I know that you're a much more responsible person than that.

Sincerely,

Aryeh Eller

Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 18:57:23 UTC
Post by John Wasak
we better call the calling off off!
jw
PS. To continue the song thread, a trivia Q. What song is that line
from?....
Wow, what an coincidence, drivin home in my car I just listened to a
wonderful version of *Let´s call the whole thing off* by Ella Fitzgerald
and Louis Armstrong on CD. Boy, they really deliver good stuff doing
this song...

Stefan
John Wasak
2004-07-14 19:15:42 UTC
Post by Stefan Nowak
Post by John Wasak
we better call the calling off off!
jw
PS. To continue the song thread, a trivia Q. What song is that line
from?....
Wow, what an coincidence, drivin home in my car I just listened to a
wonderful version of *LetŽs call the whole thing off* by Ella Fitzgerald
and Louis Armstrong on CD. Boy, they really deliver good stuff doing
this song...
Stefan
Yep. And I guess that was really too easy a trivia Q.

jw
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 19:23:56 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Stefan Nowak
Wow, what an coincidence, drivin home in my car I just listened to a
wonderful version of *Let´s call the whole thing off* by Ella
Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong on CD. Boy, they really deliver good
stuff doing this song...
Yep. And I guess that was really too easy a trivia Q.
Maybe for you american guys, but not for a boy from good ol' Austria :-)
On the other hand I really like this Gershwin / Porter / Kern etc..
Stuff and particularly this one is really popular, you're right.

Stefan
John Wasak
2004-07-14 20:03:03 UTC
Post by Stefan Nowak
Post by John Wasak
Post by Stefan Nowak
Wow, what an coincidence, drivin home in my car I just listened to a
wonderful version of *LetŽs call the whole thing off* by Ella
Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong on CD. Boy, they really deliver good
stuff doing this song...
Yep. And I guess that was really too easy a trivia Q.
Maybe for you american guys, but not for a boy from good ol' Austria :-)
On the other hand I really like this Gershwin / Porter / Kern etc..
Stuff and particularly this one is really popular, you're right.
Stefan
Well, for a boy from good ol' Austria you can deliver a pretty good
"Americanese". ;-)

jw
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 20:10:01 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Well, for a boy from good ol' Austria you can deliver a pretty good
"Americanese". ;-)
Thanks :-) This may come from reading too much Stephen King... And
reading american newsgroups and mailing lists of course :-)

Stefan
Aryeh Eller
2004-07-14 23:27:27 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
"Robert Crim"
Post by Robert Crim
I didn't and I don't.
I wouldn't and I won't.

Aryeh Eller
Aryeh Eller

Aryeh Eller
John Wasak
2004-07-14 16:35:49 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
My apologies. I assumed it had something to do with classical music
and something guitar related in some way.
My mistake.
Robert
I think it had to do with most powerful song. (And I'm still sticking to the
words with accompanying music thing) Do I think Come Heavy Sleep is more
powerful than Like A Rolling Stone? No. They each have their own power and
touch on different aspects of life.

Besides both Bob and Hank are classics, and they both play guitar.

;-)

jw
Greg M Silverman
2004-07-14 00:29:51 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........
I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)
Your turn : )
Reach back farther to Dowland. Think of "Lachrimae" in all it's
manifestations, or "Come Heavy Sleep." Follow those two up with "In
Darkness Let Me Dwell" and you have a trio of powerful songs worthy of
the category.
Dowland is certainly one of the greatest composers of all time, but his
self-pitying "I am worthless" act, was just an act. For true depth of sadness
and powerful emotion. Mozart would have Dowland beat by a long shot in the angst
department. But nothing tops Beethoven for powerful, especially the Allegretto
movement of the 7th symphony, especially on period instruments... whoa baby!
feel the power!
Post by Robert Crim
Hank Williams?
Completely. He was about as down and out as you could get. His music was a great
outlet for him to get pathetic.
Post by Robert Crim
Dylan? Surely you jest......badly.
Agreed! Dylan is nothing more than a pervert! :-<>)

gms--
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 06:14:25 UTC
Post by Greg M Silverman
Dowland is certainly one of the greatest composers of all time, but
his self-pitying "I am worthless" act, was just an act. For true
depth of sadness and powerful emotion. Mozart would have Dowland beat
by a long shot in the angst department. But nothing tops Beethoven
for powerful, especially the Allegretto movement of the 7th symphony,
especially on period instruments... whoa baby! feel the power!
I think Schubert´s "Winterreise" beats them all for sheer sadness and
longing and weariness of life :-)

*Wenn meine Schmerzen schweigen, wer sagt mir dann von ihr?*

Stefan
Reza Ganjavi (www.rezamusic.com)
2004-07-14 06:57:54 UTC
Across The Universe
Post by Greg M Silverman
Dowland is certainly one of the greatest composers of all time, but
his self-pitying "I am worthless" act, was just an act. For true
depth of sadness and powerful emotion. Mozart would have Dowland beat
by a long shot in the angst department. But nothing tops Beethoven
for powerful, especially the Allegretto movement of the 7th symphony,
especially on period instruments... whoa baby! feel the power!
I think SchubertŽs "Winterreise" beats them all for sheer sadness and
Stefan
Doug Cummings
2004-07-14 12:25:13 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........
I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)
Your turn : )
Reach back farther to Dowland. Think of "Lachrimae" in all it's
manifestations, or "Come Heavy Sleep." Follow those two up with "In
Darkness Let Me Dwell" and you have a trio of powerful songs worthy of
the category.
Hank Williams? Dylan? Surely you jest......badly.
Robert
Barbers Adagio for Strings always hits me head on, in a strange way
though. It is always used for melencholy moments movies but when ever
I hear it I think of sunrises.

Doug
elmcmeen
2004-07-14 13:25:54 UTC
2d movement of Beethoven's 7th - greatest 8 minutes in music...

Larry Deack
2004-07-14 22:23:02 UTC
"elmcmeen"
Post by elmcmeen
2d movement of Beethoven's 7th - greatest 8 minutes in music...
Not bad at 9'23 either even if it is marked Allegretto.

A gorgeous example of polyphonic composition. The way the themes weave
together and set each other off is so lovely and graceful yet with so much
understated power and depth. Great piece for a funeral.
Alison Causton
2004-07-14 22:34:36 UTC
On 7/14/04 7:23 PM, in article
Post by Robert Crim
"elmcmeen"
Post by elmcmeen
2d movement of Beethoven's 7th - greatest 8 minutes in music...
Not bad at 9'23 either even if it is marked Allegretto.
I might have agreed with this, until ... (and this will surely strike some
as purely blasphemous <gasp>) ... we saw the Dresden Staatskapelle [the
Dresden State Orchestra] perform the 7th at the University of Michigan
several years ago: how they could make this symphony over into four
movements of _dirge_ is anyone's guess, but that's what happened that night
:-((((( . Thankfully, their treatment of Strauss was pretty amazing :-).
Post by Robert Crim
A gorgeous example of polyphonic composition. The way the themes weave
together and set each other off is so lovely and graceful yet with so much
understated power and depth. Great piece for a funeral.
Gimme the cellos in the 4th movement, anytime ;-).
ac
Alison Causton
2004-07-14 22:30:05 UTC
Post by elmcmeen
2d movement of Beethoven's 7th - greatest 8 minutes in music...
Still my all-time favourite piece of music, ever. Ever.
;-)
ac
Steven Bornfeld
2004-07-13 23:32:32 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
My Romance
Always
God Bless America
Somewhere (A Place For Us)
Love Walked In
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Silent Eyes
Thrill Is Gone
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
Layla

Steve
Lester Long
2004-07-13 23:54:42 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
My Romance
Always
God Bless America
Somewhere (A Place For Us)
Love Walked In
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Great One!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Silent Eyes
Thrill Is Gone
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
How could I have missed that one?

Lesteer
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 00:43:26 UTC
I Got You Under My Skin by C.Porter is my second choice for love songs .

Greg M Silverman
2004-07-14 00:59:51 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
I Got You Under My Skin by C.Porter is my second choice for love songs .
That's a powerful love song? Not even, what about The Stones' "Let's spend some
time together?" ;-)

Have you seen the movie about CP with Kevin Kline?

gms--
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 01:49:00 UTC
Post by Greg M Silverman
Post by Edward Bridge
I Got You Under My Skin by C.Porter is my second choice for love songs .
That's a powerful love song? Not even, what about The Stones' "Let's spend some
time together?" ;-)
When my wife sang it about one inch from my ear, it become being
powerful.
Post by Greg M Silverman
Have you seen the movie about CP with Kevin Kline?
No, with four kids you know what kind of films I get to see.
Steven Bornfeld
2004-07-14 02:04:12 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Post by Greg M Silverman
Have you seen the movie about CP with Kevin Kline?
No, with four kids you know what kind of films I get to see.
Lauren had a sleepover at a pal's on St. Johns Pl. Sunday night--Marie
and I were going to see Fahrenheit 911 at either BAM or the Pavillion,
but by the time Marie got off work we were too tired--
Oh, to be young again!

Steve
Greg M Silverman
2004-07-14 02:12:38 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Post by Greg M Silverman
time together?" ;-)
When my wife sang it about one inch from my ear, it become being
powerful.
More powerful than Mick asking you to spend the night? ;-)
Post by Edward Bridge
Post by Greg M Silverman
Have you seen the movie about CP with Kevin Kline?
No, with four kids you know what kind of films I get to see.
Not the kind of movie to take kids to if they deal with Cole's sexual issues.
Just wondering how good Kevin Kline is as Cole. There was a really good story
on Cole in this month's Smithsonian mag. Quite a fascinating character. Love
his music!

gms--
Steven Bornfeld
2004-07-14 02:31:56 UTC
Post by Greg M Silverman
Post by Edward Bridge
Post by Edward Bridge
Post by Greg M Silverman
Have you seen the movie about CP with Kevin Kline?
No, with four kids you know what kind of films I get to see.
Not the kind of movie to take kids to if they deal with Cole's sexual issues.
Just wondering how good Kevin Kline is as Cole. There was a really good story
on Cole in this month's Smithsonian mag. Quite a fascinating character. Love
his music!
gms--
I've read some really negative reviews.

Steve
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 01:55:20 UTC
Post by Lester Long
Post by Steven Bornfeld
My Romance
Always
God Bless America
Somewhere (A Place For Us)
Love Walked In
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Great One!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Silent Eyes
Thrill Is Gone
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
How could I have missed that one?
Lesteer
ONE by U2 perform by Johnny Cash seems to fit this list in IMO also I can't
belive no one mention the boys from Queens . . . old tom and jerry

Sound of Silence !!!!!!!!!!
Steven Bornfeld
2004-07-14 02:05:54 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Post by Lester Long
Post by Steven Bornfeld
My Romance
Always
God Bless America
Somewhere (A Place For Us)
Love Walked In
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Great One!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Silent Eyes
Thrill Is Gone
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
How could I have missed that one?
Lesteer
ONE by U2 perform by Johnny Cash seems to fit this list in IMO also I can't
belive no one mention the boys from Queens . . . old tom and jerry
Sound of Silence !!!!!!!!!!
There have already been two mentions for "Bridge Over Troubled Water".
I was a bit surprised to see Cat Stevens, but there ya go!

Steve
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 03:34:51 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
There have already been two mentions for "Bridge Over Troubled Water".
I was a bit surprised to see Cat Stevens, but there ya go!
There are some song titles I stay away from. :>)

Ed "OVER TROUBLED WATERS" Bridge
Steven Bornfeld
2004-07-14 01:55:39 UTC
Post by Lester Long
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Silent Eyes
Thrill Is Gone
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
How could I have missed that one?
Lesteer
Lots of ways to characterize power. I may have to sleep on it,
powerlifter!

Steve
Reza Ganjavi (www.rezamusic.com)
Greg M Silverman
2004-07-14 01:00:37 UTC
Post by Reza Ganjavi (www.rezamusic.com)
How about Young Man Blues ? :-))
Certainly for teen angst this fits.

gms--
Steve Perry
2004-07-14 01:07:13 UTC
Here's a few:

Moonlight Sonata
Canon in D
Stardust
Hey, Jude
Yesterday
Let it Be
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Father and Son
Steve
Paolo
2004-07-14 03:41:34 UTC
In no particular order:

-Oscar Peterson's version of "I'm a Fool to Want you"
-Rolling Stones' "Moonlight Mile"
-Aimee Mann "Wise Up"
-Outkast "Git up Git out"
-Mighty Clouds of Joy "Nearer to Thee"

...the last song gets me going in spite of the fact that I am a rabid
athiest (I have a bumper sticker on my car with a Darwin fish and a
caption that reads "I support the theory of evolution and you can have my
opposable thumbs when you pry them from my cold dead hand").
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
2004-07-14 15:58:14 UTC
Post by Paolo
-Oscar Peterson's version of "I'm a Fool to Want you"
-Rolling Stones' "Moonlight Mile"
-Aimee Mann "Wise Up"
-Outkast "Git up Git out"
-Mighty Clouds of Joy "Nearer to Thee"
...the last song gets me going in spite of the fact that I am a rabid
athiest (I have a bumper sticker on my car with a Darwin fish and a
caption that reads "I support the theory of evolution and you can have my
opposable thumbs when you pry them from my cold dead hand").
Very cute!
Can someone tell this po apostate Jew what the deal is with da fish?

Steve
Steve Perry
2004-07-14 17:53:06 UTC
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Very cute!
Can someone tell this po apostate Jew what the deal is with da fish?
Steve
You serious, Doc?

Um, the Christian symbol of a fish, sometimes sketched as two opposite
convex curves that overlap at one end to make a tail, is connected to
the idea of a Fisherman who fishes for, well, men.

The Darwin cartoon often takes this design and puts legs on it, to show
evolution. The basic model is the legged fish with "Darwin" written in
it.

There are bumper stickers that show a larger, Christian fish eating the
Darwinian fish, and some that say things like, "Fish Don't Walk and
Jesus is Lord."

Dueling bumper stickers are a time-honored way to do battle in this
country since the sixties ...
Steve
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
2004-07-14 20:05:27 UTC
Post by Steve Perry
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Very cute!
Can someone tell this po apostate Jew what the deal is with da fish?
Steve
You serious, Doc?
Um, the Christian symbol of a fish, sometimes sketched as two opposite
convex curves that overlap at one end to make a tail, is connected to
the idea of a Fisherman who fishes for, well, men.
The Darwin cartoon often takes this design and puts legs on it, to show
evolution. The basic model is the legged fish with "Darwin" written in
it.
There are bumper stickers that show a larger, Christian fish eating the
Darwinian fish, and some that say things like, "Fish Don't Walk and
Jesus is Lord."
Dueling bumper stickers are a time-honored way to do battle in this
country since the sixties ...
Yeah, I was serious. Just never interested enough to look it up
myself! ;-)

Steve
CV
2004-07-14 22:24:39 UTC
The fish was also a way for Christians to identify themselves to other
Christians without running the risk of being killed when they were being
persecuted by the Romans. They would make a convex curve in the sand with
their foot and if the gesture was returned they knew they were with another
Christian. The combinatin of the the 2 curves makes the fish in the dirt
that you see on the backs of minivans.

Chip
Larry Deack
2004-07-14 22:31:56 UTC
"CV"
Post by CV
The combinatin of the the 2 curves makes the
fish in the dirt that you see on the backs of minivans.
The symbol was used long before Jesus but that's a nice story. It seems
rather doubtful to me considering how 2 people would look doing that move
with their feet. Someone might get some ideas with guy swishing their feet
for each other looking like shy girls who want attention :-)

Try a google for more information than you ever wanted to know about this
subject.
Aryeh Eller

Aryeh Eller
John Wasak
2004-07-14 22:33:00 UTC
Post by CV
The fish was also a way for Christians to identify themselves to other
Christians without running the risk of being killed when they were being
persecuted by the Romans. They would make a convex curve in the sand with
their foot and if the gesture was returned they knew they were with another
Christian. The combinatin of the the 2 curves makes the fish in the dirt
that you see on the backs of minivans.
Chip
Would anyone have spelled it Phish in those days?

jw
Lester Long
2004-07-14 23:22:42 UTC
Post by CV
Christian. The combinatin of the the 2 curves makes the fish in the dirt
that you see on the backs of minivans.
Chip
Would anyone have spelled it Phish in those days?
jw
Here's a better way: ghoti

Any takers on how?

Lester
CV

Lester
Michael Horsch
2004-07-14 03:18:35 UTC
The Ciaccona.

Mike
John Wasak
2004-07-14 03:49:24 UTC
Post by Michael Horsch
The Ciaccona.
Mike
What are the lyrics?

jw
Aryeh Eller
2004-07-14 03:51:36 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........
I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)
Your turn : )
Classical -

Vesti La Giubba from Pagliacci by Leoncavallo

Alban Berg - Wozzeck (opera)

Mahler 9th Symphony last movement Adagio,

Mahler 5th Sym first movmt.

Sibelius 5th Symphony last movement

Prokofiev Piano Sonatas 6, 7 and 8

Prokofiev 5th Sym. first movement.

Prokofiev 2nd Piano Concerto first movement

Chopin 2nd Piano Sonata in Bb min. first movmt.

Richard Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra (the whole work)

Richard Strauss - Salome (opera)

Maurice Ravel - Scarbo from Gaspard de la Nuit

Carl Ruggles - Sun Treader

Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Op.106 Hammerklavier, Op. 53 Appassionata
Moonlight Sonata last movement.

Beethoven Piano Sonata #32 Op.111 in C minor first movmt.

Mozart Requiem K626 - Dies Irae, Confutatis

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

Stravinsky - Symphony in 3 Movements (first movmt.)

Pop/Rock

Madonna - Frozen

Metallica - The Unforgiven, Enter Sandman

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone

Alice in Chains - Would

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell

I'm going to sleep...
John Wasak
2004-07-14 03:59:58 UTC
Aryeh Eller <***@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:bandoneon1800-***@nycmny-nntp-rdr-03-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.c
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Edward Bridge
[...]
Hey, Hey! no fair! Shouldn't we stick to just words accompanied by music?
Otherwise, well.....something......

;-)

jw
I'm going to sleep...
Joseph Raymond
2004-07-14 16:11:18 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
I love that song and its awseome guitar solo. They play it on the
radio from time to time. I wonder how many people realize that it is
about heroin?

Joe
Charles De Coster
2004-07-14 16:32:50 UTC
MO's "Schweinengesang"......
CdC
________________
http://polyhymnion.org
John Wasak
2004-07-14 17:00:37 UTC
com>...
Post by Joseph Raymond
Post by Aryeh Eller
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
I love that song and its awseome guitar solo. They play it on the
radio from time to time. I wonder how many people realize that it is
about heroin?
Joe
I think the Velvet Underground wrote the best heroin songs. Check out
'Heroin' and 'I'm Waiting For The Man' from their first recording (with
Nico).

jw
Lester Long
2004-07-14 17:22:26 UTC
Post by Joseph Raymond
Post by Aryeh Eller
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
I love that song and its awseome guitar solo. They play it on the
radio from time to time. I wonder how many people realize that it is
about heroin?
Joe
I've heard this before, but it has never been substantiated. Any reliable
sources?

Lester
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 18:26:05 UTC
com>...
Post by Lester Long
Post by Joseph Raymond
Post by Aryeh Eller
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
I love that song and its awseome guitar solo. They play it on the
radio from time to time. I wonder how many people realize that it is
about heroin?
Joe
I've heard this before, but it has never been substantiated. Any reliable
sources?
Yes, me . Cindy O by the Cars is about the old horse too ,Which was an
other favorite of city cowboys in the early 80's
Eddie Joe
Aryeh Eller
2004-07-14 17:58:10 UTC
Post by Joseph Raymond
m>...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
I love that song and its awseome guitar solo. They play it on the
radio from time to time. I wonder how many people realize that it is
about heroin?
Joe
Yes that's my favorite rock guitar solo of all time, a dark bluesy
gospel-like melody played with an all-powerful searing meaty tone by
Gilmour on his Strat, the guy's a genius.

Who says the song is about heroin? Maybe it's the lines that go-

Ok.
Just a little pinprick. [ping]
There¹ll be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
I do believe it¹s working. good.
That¹ll keep you going for the show.
Come on it¹s time to go.

It can be interpreted in many ways - Some people think Bridge Over
Troubled Water is about heroin too. "Sail on Silver Girl"

Have you seen the film The Wall? Pretty dark stuff...
John Wasak
2004-07-14 18:18:01 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
It can be interpreted in many ways - Some people think Bridge Over
Troubled Water is about heroin too. "Sail on Silver Girl"
I'm prety certain I can recall Paul Simon saying that the "Silver Girl"
reference was to his then wife whose hair was becoming prematurely gray.

jw
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 18:54:09 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
It can be interpreted in many ways - Some people think Bridge Over
Troubled Water is about heroin too. "Sail on Silver Girl"
I'm prety certain I can recall Paul Simon saying that the "Silver
Girl" reference was to his then wife whose hair was becoming
prematurely gray.
No, no, no, "Silver Girl" is the big H....
Now that I´m aware of it, this song gets a whole new meaning.... an
hommage to Heroin... when times get rough, you´re like a bridge over
troubled water, my beloved H LOL :-)

Stefan
John Wasak
2004-07-14 19:15:32 UTC
Post by Stefan Nowak
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
It can be interpreted in many ways - Some people think Bridge Over
Troubled Water is about heroin too. "Sail on Silver Girl"
I'm prety certain I can recall Paul Simon saying that the "Silver
Girl" reference was to his then wife whose hair was becoming
prematurely gray.
No, no, no, "Silver Girl" is the big H....
Now that IŽm aware of it, this song gets a whole new meaning.... an
hommage to Heroin... when times get rough, youŽre like a bridge over
troubled water, my beloved H LOL :-)
Stefan
And there it is, both, the fun and the folly, of interpreting lyrics.

If we look at that set of lyrics in Simon's song :

"Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
IŽm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind"

I suppose "Silver Girl" works as both, prematurely graying wife getting
encouragement from the songwriter, or the chill of a fix.

jw
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 19:21:06 UTC
Post by John Wasak
"Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I´m sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind"
I suppose "Silver Girl" works as both, prematurely graying wife
getting encouragement from the songwriter, or the chill of a fix.
I like this absurde kind of humor and the twisted meaning the lyrics get
if you substitute the graying wife with H. Maybe I´m easily entertained,
but I think those things are really funny :-))

Stefan
John Wasak
2004-07-14 20:01:07 UTC
Post by Stefan Nowak
Post by John Wasak
"Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
IŽm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind"
I suppose "Silver Girl" works as both, prematurely graying wife
getting encouragement from the songwriter, or the chill of a fix.
I like this absurde kind of humor and the twisted meaning the lyrics get
if you substitute the graying wife with H. Maybe IŽm easily entertained,
but I think those things are really funny :-))
Stefan
Yeah, heavy portent in "All your dreams are on their way" and "I will ease
your mind", I guess. Pop culture always has great potential for amusement,
as in misinterpreting lyrics or mishearing them like "s'cuse me while I kiss
this guy" for "s'cuse me while I kiss the sky" ;-)

jw
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 20:12:17 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Stefan Nowak
I like this absurde kind of humor and the twisted meaning the lyrics
get if you substitute the graying wife with H. Maybe I´m easily
entertained, but I think those things are really funny :-))
Yeah, heavy portent in "All your dreams are on their way" and "I will
ease your mind", I guess. Pop culture always has great potential for
amusement, as in misinterpreting lyrics or mishearing them like
"s'cuse me while I kiss this guy" for "s'cuse me while I kiss the
sky" ;-)
Hehe :-)) Is kissing the sky the opposite of biting the dust? :-)

Stefan
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
2004-07-14 20:21:06 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Stefan Nowak
Post by John Wasak
[...]
John--

I assume you know this one:
http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Steve
Stefan Nowak
2004-07-14 20:47:22 UTC
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.kissthisguy.com/
Hey thanks, this site is a real hoot :-)

Stefan
John Wasak
2004-07-14 22:09:42 UTC
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
John--
http://www.kissthisguy.com/
Steve
Yep. Seen it before.

jw
CV
2004-07-14 22:27:29 UTC
or "kiss this fly" :-)

CV
Joseph Raymond
2004-07-14 23:03:08 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Joseph Raymond
m>...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
I love that song and its awseome guitar solo. They play it on the
radio from time to time. I wonder how many people realize that it is
about heroin?
Joe
Yes that's my favorite rock guitar solo of all time, a dark bluesy
gospel-like melody played with an all-powerful searing meaty tone by
Gilmour on his Strat, the guy's a genius.
Yes, he's a genius.
Post by Aryeh Eller
Who says the song is about heroin? Maybe it's the lines that go-
Yes, those are the lines.
Post by Aryeh Eller
Ok.
Just a little pinprick. [ping]
There¹ll be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do believe it¹s working. good.
That¹ll keep you going for the show.
Come on it¹s time to go.
It can be interpreted in many ways -
Well, to me the meaning here is as plain as can be. I've never asked
anyone else what they thought it meant until now. How do you interpret
these words?

Joe
Lester Long
2004-07-14 23:17:25 UTC
Post by Joseph Raymond
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Joseph Raymond
m>...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Ok.
Just a little pinprick. [ping]
There¹ll be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do believe it¹s working. good.
That¹ll keep you going for the show.
Come on it¹s time to go.
It can be interpreted in many ways -
Well, to me the meaning here is as plain as can be. I've never asked
anyone else what they thought it meant until now. How do you interpret
these words?
Joe
Given where it sits on the album, it seems to relate more to the childhood
disease of Waters.

Here's some info:

"In a radio interview around 1980 with Jim Ladd from KLOS in Los Angeles,
Waters said part of the song is about the time he got hepatitis but didn't
know it. Pink Floyd had to do a show that night in Philadelphia, and the
doctor Roger saw gave him a sedative to help the pain, thinking it was a
stomach disorder. At the show, Roger's hands were numb "like two toy
balloons." He was unable to focus, but also realized the fans didn't care
because they were so busy screaming, hence "comfortably" numb. He said most
of The Wall is about alienation between the audience and band."

Anyway, either way I think the song reaches all of us in some manner.

Lester
John Wasak
2004-07-14 04:17:31 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread"
BTW, Ed, thanks for taking the initiative on this one. It's turning out to
be interesting. Hope it keeps rolling along.

jw
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 04:31:31 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread"
BTW, Ed, thanks for taking the initiative on this one. It's turning out to
be interesting. Hope it keeps rolling along.
Your welcome, Bro. I'm fighting with my new Protools so I can be like the
rest of the world. I should just stick to Sonar 3. Reading this song list
has been a nice break. I feel two songs coming .

Sunday Bloody Sunday U2 . .
Etude 11 Villa -lobos

Good night
Ed Wurster
2004-07-14 13:11:28 UTC
Most Powerful Songs
- Revolution - Beatles
- Imagine - Lennon
Charles Meyer
2004-07-14 14:52:47 UTC
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd comes to mind.
Dedication Day by John Lee Hooker (blues guitarist)
Blues at Sunrise by Albert King

if the field was open to instrumental pieces, I could think of a whole
lot more. For some reason, most popular music doesn't really seem
powerful to me. It can be beautiful for certain, and I enjoy listening
to it, but it is not powerful in the same way as the Andante from
Beethoven's Fifth.
Klaus Heim
2004-07-14 21:59:19 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Let's start a "Most Powerful Song thread" as JW suggested .
JW starts with : Lush Life, Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Amazing
Grace', Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and Puccini''s 'Un Bel
Di Vedremo'?........
I'll choose: Sweeter than Roses (Purcell) and Wind is the Wind (Ned
Washington)
Your turn : )
A few of my all-time favorites:

Hurt - Trent Reznor
Solitary Man - Neil Diamond
John Finns' Wife - Nick Cave
Lazy Line Painter Jane - Belle & Sebastian
Waiting Room - Fugazi
Where is my mind? - Pixies
Chelsea Girls - Lou Reed/Sterling Morrison
You ain't seen nothing yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive
(You are) Always On My Mind - sung by a whole bunch of people
12305te Nacht - Einstürzende Neubauten
Lightning Crashes - Live
Putting the Damage On - Tori Amos

Some classical songs with guitar, which I like:

Renka I - Toshio Hosokawa
Equilibrium (from: Tongues) - Jason Eckardt
Tell me where is fancy bred - Elliott Carter
Orpheus with his lute - William Schuman
Adela (from: Tres canciones Espanolas) - Joaquin Rodrigo
La Indita (from: Cantares) - Roberto Gerhard

With a few more instruments and not really songs, but wonderful to listen to
nonetheless:
Two Practical Cats - Humphrey Searle

And finally the classical piece with voice and guitar, which I listen to
most often:
Schuberts Winterreise - Hans Zender

Klaus
Edward Bridge
2004-07-14 22:10:24 UTC
Post by Klaus Heim
(You are) Always On My Mind - sung by a whole bunch of people
Have you heard "the King" sing it. I have it on "The King Sings Country" I
really like how he sings " Always On My Mind "

Ed