More on the Talent-Practice question:
c***@yahoo.com
2013-07-30 01:19:20 UTC
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/practice-makes-perfect-not-so-much/
thomas
2013-07-30 02:10:46 UTC
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/practice-makes-perfect-not-so-much/>
If they measure "practice" just by the number of hours spent, then they're not capturing the essential factor. Quality of practice is as important, if not more important, than quantity.
Murdick
2013-07-30 12:05:43 UTC
Quality is the most important aspect of practice. To reach the concert level you must start young, be dedicated and have good instruction. To be great you must also have talent - there's no getting around it.
Tony Done
2013-07-30 22:06:43 UTC
Post by Murdick
Quality is the most important aspect of practice. To reach the
concert level you must start young, be dedicated and have good
instruction. To be great you must also have talent - there's no
getting around it.
I do not understand how anyone can look at the diversity of the human
race and not believe in variation in just about everything, including
talent.

IMO, practice can make you competent, talent can make you great. What we
don't know is who and how many have unused talent because it isn't
exploited.
--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/
dsi1
2013-07-30 23:00:49 UTC
Post by Tony Done
I do not understand how anyone can look at the diversity of the human
race and not believe in variation in just about everything, including
talent.
IMO, practice can make you competent, talent can make you great. What we
don't know is who and how many have unused talent because it isn't
exploited.
What we call "talent" probably isn't anything too special and everybody
will have a neurological system that is optimized for some areas of
human activities. You are correct about unused talent - one could have
the abilities to be a great guitarist but how would they know unless
they picked up a guitar and started to learn how to play it? Of course,
being neurologically suited for something doesn't mean you have any
desire to partake in it. Great talents are like a perfect storm.
Tony Done
2013-07-30 23:05:46 UTC
Great talents are like a perfect storm.

Er, unlike Flossie?

dsi1
2013-07-30 23:17:50 UTC
Ha ha, Flossie was a floozy. You'll know one when it hits you.
Tony Done
2013-07-30 23:34:43 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by dsi1
Great talents are like a perfect storm.
Er, unlike Flossie?
Ha ha, Flossie was a floozy. You'll know one when it hits you.
Oh, we get our fair share. I got caught in a little one in Darwin, can't
recall the name. It blew a lot of shallow-rooted trees over, but didn't
do any structural damage.

dsi1
2013-07-31 00:36:27 UTC
Post by Tony Done
Post by dsi1
Post by dsi1
Great talents are like a perfect storm.
Er, unlike Flossie?
Ha ha, Flossie was a floozy. You'll know one when it hits you.
Oh, we get our fair share. I got caught in a little one in Darwin, can't
recall the name. It blew a lot of shallow-rooted trees over, but didn't
do any structural damage.
These things are mother nature's way of bringing more excitement into
your life.
Andrew Schulman
2013-07-31 05:30:03 UTC
Post by dsi1
What we call "talent" probably isn't anything too special and everybody
will have a neurological system that is optimized for some areas of
human activities. You are correct about unused talent - one could have
the abilities to be a great guitarist but how would they know unless
they picked up a guitar and started to learn how to play it? Of course,
being neurologically suited for something doesn't mean you have any
desire to partake in it. Great talents are like a perfect storm.
David, I disagree with everything you just said. Not because I actually disagree with any of it, in fact, I can't even remember any of it and I just read it about 30 seconds ago. Nay, I disagree because I just enjoy disagreeing with you in general and because I'm not sure if these threads we have here about "talent" are the single most boring threads ever but they probably are.

Sincerely yours,

That's because one of your talents is in disagreement. Follow your talents. My talents are in agreement and I think that what you say is true. I can't remember what I've typed 20 seconds after I type it. You're right that topics on talent are boring.
Andrew Schulman
2013-07-31 19:02:27 UTC
Post by dsi1
That's because one of your talents is in disagreement. Follow your talents. My talents are in agreement and I think that what you say is true. I can't remember what I've typed 20 seconds after I type it. You're right that topics on talent are boring.
I agree with everything you just said, IIRC.

2013-07-31 19:11:30 UTC
Post by dsi1
That's because one of your talents is in disagreement. Follow your talents. My talents are in agreement and I think that what you say is true. I can't remember what I've typed 20 seconds after I type it. You're right that topics on talent are boring.
I agree with everything you just said, IIRC.
I think that we both can agree that you're only agreeing with everything I just said because I was agreeing with everything you just said. If only we could just all disagree to agree.
thomas
2013-07-31 20:59:13 UTC
Can't we all just not get along?
Tony Done
2013-07-31 21:08:05 UTC
Post by thomas
Post by dsi1
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by dsi1
That's because one of your talents is in disagreement. Follow
your talents. My talents are in agreement and I think that what
you say is true. I can't remember what I've typed 20 seconds
after I type it. You're right that topics on talent are
boring.
I agree with everything you just said, IIRC.
I think that we both can agree that you're only agreeing with
everything I just said because I was agreeing with everything you
just said. If only we could just all disagree to agree.
Can't we all just not get along?
Where's the fun in that?

dsi1
2013-07-31 21:31:08 UTC
¡Si, se puede!
Andrew Schulman
2013-08-01 12:16:34 UTC
Post by dsi1
I think that we both can agree that you're only agreeing with everything I just said because I was agreeing with everything you just said. If only we could just all disagree to agree.
I agree that our disagreement is giving a talented boost to this thread, do you agree?

2013-08-01 19:13:30 UTC