Judee Sill- Bach-like?
van
2011-04-27 05:21:13 UTC
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
guitar playing seemed to be influenced by Bach's airs:

Charlie
2011-04-27 11:56:29 UTC
Post by van
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
guitar playing seemed to be influenced by Bach's http://youtu.be/PP8DjFhxy60
Van,

The tune sounds Bach-like. The older I get, the less I can listen to
words. There seems to be a gazillion or so guitarists / vocalists who
have something to say and it's usually about love. Words these days
just seem to bore me to death. Give me pure music, hehe. Or at least
a different subject!

Charlie
Miguel de Maria
2011-04-27 18:23:17 UTC
Post by van
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
guitar playing seemed to be influenced by Bach's http://youtu.be/PP8DjFhxy60
Van,
The tune sounds Bach-like.  The older I get, the less I can listen to
words.  There seems to be a gazillion or so guitarists / vocalists who
have something to say and it's usually about love.  Words these days
just seem to bore me to death.  Give me pure music, hehe.  Or at least
a different subject!
Charlie
I complained to my dad when I was a kid that all the songs were about
love. "What do you want them to sing about, baseball?" was his reply.
Charlie
2011-04-27 21:35:46 UTC
Post by Miguel de Maria
Post by van
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
guitar playing seemed to be influenced by Bach's http://youtu.be/PP8DjFhxy60
Van,
The tune sounds Bach-like.  The older I get, the less I can listen to
words.  There seems to be a gazillion or so guitarists / vocalists who
have something to say and it's usually about love.  Words these days
just seem to bore me to death.  Give me pure music, hehe.  Or at least
a different subject!
Charlie
I complained to my dad when I was a kid that all the songs were about
love.  "What do you want them to sing about, baseball?" was his reply.
Baseball? And why not? At least it would be different, hehe.

Charlie
Steven Bornfeld
2011-04-27 16:40:47 UTC
Post by van
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
http://youtu.be/PP8DjFhxy60
One uploader's comments were that she had been "influenced" by
classical composers. I can hear a little of the Bach influence.
I've never heard of her--apparently another early drug-related death.
The other newsgroups noted the passing of Phoebe Snow yesterday--a
truly tragic story--R.I.P.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
Matt Faunce
2011-04-27 23:01:54 UTC
Post by van
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
guitar playing seemed to be influenced by Bach's http://youtu.be/PP8DjFhxy60
Nice long phrases. That was one major reason I was attracted to
classical music.

Matt
Paul Magnussen
2011-04-27 23:40:56 UTC
Post by Matt Faunce
Nice long phrases. That was one major reason I was attracted to
classical music.
In that connection, a curiosity is the Carpenters' "Goodbye to Love":
one of the longest melody lines I've ever heard in a pop song.

Paul Magnussen
Matt Faunce
2011-04-28 14:02:06 UTC
Post by Paul Magnussen
Post by Matt Faunce
Nice long phrases. That was one major reason I was attracted to
classical music.
one of the longest melody lines I've ever heard in a pop song.
Paul Magnussen
Yup.

Windmills of Your Mind is up there too.

Here's the composer singing it:

Here's George Benson playing it:

Matt
van
2011-04-29 05:09:37 UTC
Post by van
Here's a singer/songwriter from the early 1970s whose songwriting and
guitar playing seemed to be influenced by Bach's http://youtu.be/PP8DjFhxy60
I posted that because the guitar part she plays seems to function like
a continuo, rather than the typical folk guitar strumming.
Here's another song she wrote that reminded a writer of a Bach Cello
Suite: