Lattice top origins
Federico
2005-03-27 05:04:35 UTC
I came across a lattice top Pat Lister guitar from the 50's. Seems
Smallman gets all the credit, but it's obvious he didn't invent the
system. For all I know, Lister adapted the design from someone else.
Anybody have any light to shine on the origin of the species?

Thanks,

-Federico
Philip Smith
2005-03-27 14:13:15 UTC
Post by Federico
I came across a lattice top Pat Lister guitar from the 50's. Seems
Smallman gets all the credit, but it's obvious he didn't invent the
system. For all I know, Lister adapted the design from someone else.
Anybody have any light to shine on the origin of the species?
Thanks,
-Federico
Hi
Greg Smallman's first lattice-braced guitars used diagonally placed
interlaced strips of wood. He now uses a carbon fibre net. Who was
the first to use carbon fibre to reinforce a guitar soundboard?
Philip
John Tompkins
2020-10-28 23:25:49 UTC
Post by Philip Smith
Post by Federico
I came across a lattice top Pat Lister guitar from the 50's. Seems
Smallman gets all the credit, but it's obvious he didn't invent the
system. For all I know, Lister adapted the design from someone else.
Anybody have any light to shine on the origin of the species?
Thanks,
-Federico
Hi
Greg Smallman's first lattice-braced guitars used diagonally placed
interlaced strips of wood. He now uses a carbon fibre net. Who was
the first to use carbon fibre to reinforce a guitar soundboard?
Philip
A very old thread, but Pat had worked in the aircraft industry I suspect through world war 2 (my guess is General Aircraft in Hanworth) and I know he worked for Hawkers after the war. He stated when I talked with him that his influence or at least part of it for the latticework, was the very light and strong structures found in the geodesic construction of Vickers Wellington bombers. Also he redesigned the struts on the inside of the top face of the guitar (I'm sorry I'm not a guitar player so I'm sure I have poor terminology here) so that the struts radiated away from the hole in the top rather than a more traditional approach of two struts across the width of the guitar and other struts radiating from them.

JT