Giuliani's La Rosa
Ken Blake
2021-10-23 21:14:39 UTC
I've been working on playing Giuliani's La Rosa. I have the sheet music
for it, but does anyone know where I can download a tab version?
Ken
Paul Carmichael
2021-10-24 08:54:00 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
I've been working on playing Giuliani's La Rosa. I have the sheet music
for it, but does anyone know where I can download a tab version?
Googling gives nothing, but "La Rose" with an e gives this amongst others:

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/ruben-wan-rose-sophie-giuliani-verison-
tab-s455562t0

Or "Le Rose"

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=37429

Doesn't the sheet music have fingerings etc? Who needs tab?
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Ken Blake
2021-10-24 18:39:19 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Ken Blake
I've been working on playing Giuliani's La Rosa. I have the sheet music
for it, but does anyone know where I can download a tab version?
https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/ruben-wan-rose-sophie-giuliani-verison-
tab-s455562t0
Thanks, but that's an entirely different piece.
Post by Paul Carmichael
Or "Le Rose"
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=37429
I had seen that before. It seems to be a performance not the tab. And
besides, it says

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to
this post.
Post by Paul Carmichael
Doesn't the sheet music have fingerings etc?
Yes. I have Edson Lopes's version, and it's very good and very helpful.
Post by Paul Carmichael
Who needs tab?
Me, unfortunately. My ability to sight-read music is pretty much limited
to low positions and high notes only on the first string. That means I
can sight-read some of it, but not all. I'm getting better at it, but
I'm still not good enough to sight-read this, unless I play extremely
slowly.

I've made my own tab of it, working with the Edson Lopes fingerings on
the sheet music, but it's sloppy and a good printed copy would be much
better for me.

I'm also working on memorizing it, and if I ever get it all memorized,
I'll no longer need any tab. But my ability to memorize music is very
poor and at my age (I'll be 84 in a couple of weeks) it's not getting
any better.

It's a beautiful piece--one of my favorites. It's not easy to play, but
with the help of my teacher I'm getting better at it.
Ken
Paul Carmichael
2021-10-25 07:01:40 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
It's a beautiful piece--one of my favorites. It's not easy to play, but
with the help of my teacher I'm getting better at it.
Heh. I wish I had a teacher. Here, it's flamenco or nothing.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Ken Blake
2021-10-25 23:49:04 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Ken Blake
It's a beautiful piece--one of my favorites. It's not easy to play, but
with the help of my teacher I'm getting better at it.
Heh. I wish I had a teacher. Here, it's flamenco or nothing.
I live in Tucson, AZ. The University of Arizona's guitar program is very
good, and there are several doctoral students and graduates here (from
all over the world) who are excellent players. Some of them are also
excellent teachers.

I'm on my third doctoral student teacher, and I've been very lucky with
each of the three. They've all been wonderful.

The first one was from the Philippines, and he moved back home shortly
after he graduated.

The second one was from Canada and was having visa problems. He moved
back to Canada shortly before he was going to graduate

The current one is from Chile and will probably graduate this coming
spring. Whether he'll still be here after graduation, I don't know yet,
but if I'll have to choose another teacher, there are many good ones to
choose from.

I'm 84. I've been playing the guitar for about 70 years, but mostly on
steel string guitars, and mostly playing blues and ragtime pieces. I
started studying classical guitar (I had lots of old habits that were
hard to break) about five years ago with my Philippine teacher, and I've
learned a lot from him as well as both of the others. I've gotten a lot
better (La Rosa is one of the most difficult pieces I've worked on) but
I'm a long way from being able to play concerts. I never will be at that
level and that's OK with me; I play for my own enjoyment.

Here's one of the best of the UofA's doctoral students (from Mexico)
playing La Rosa (much better than I play it):

Ken
Paul Carmichael
2021-10-26 09:59:13 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Here's one of the best of the UofA's doctoral students (from Mexico)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=BExn3VN42Zk&list=RDBExn3VN42Zk&start_radio=1

So it is spelled with an e.

That looks slightly more difficult than twinkle twinkle little star.

I may have a way to go yet...

PS: Going to a music shop in Málaga tomorrow. I want to see what a proper
guitar feels and plays like. My Takamine 300€ jobby sounds awful and I
don't think it's just my playing. Plucking the g string sounds like
wacking a wall with a shoe.

I've heard it said that the magic number for a student like me is 1000€.
Anything below that will be a toy and anything above will be decoration.
I keep seing guitars advertised for much more.

I'll let you know how I get on.

For now back to Familia Latina.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Ken Blake
2021-10-26 17:53:17 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Ken Blake
Here's one of the best of the UofA's doctoral students (from Mexico)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=BExn3VN42Zk&list=RDBExn3VN42Zk&start_radio=1
So it is spelled with an e.
It's often seen spelled both ways.
Post by Ken Blake
That looks slightly more difficult than twinkle twinkle little star.
LOL. Yes.
Post by Ken Blake
I may have a way to go yet...
PS: Going to a music shop in Málaga tomorrow. I want to see what a proper
guitar feels and plays like. My Takamine 300€ jobby sounds awful and I
don't think it's just my playing. Plucking the g string sounds like
wacking a wall with a shoe.
I've heard it said that the magic number for a student like me is 1000€.
Anything below that will be a toy and anything above will be decoration.
I keep seing guitars advertised for much more.
I had been playing a Yamaha G255SII, which I think sells for around $800
(USD). It was pretty good for a guitar in that price range, but a year
ago I splurged and bought a Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double-Top
Classical Guitar for just under $4,000
(https://goyetteguitarcenter.com/product/yulong-guo-chamber-concert-double-top-classical-guitar).
It's still a long way from professional concert quality, but it's much
better and I like it a lot.
Ken
Steven Bornfeld
2021-10-26 20:34:00 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Ken Blake
[...]
IDK how well-regarded Chinese luthiers are; it seems it hasn't been long
since they were making knockoffs of other designs for not much money.
This looks of a different order entirely.
In the discussion video, did he say it was a double-laminated back?
They don't mention what the back and sides are made of--or I just missed
that.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-10-27 01:54:09 UTC
Sorry, I should mentioned that it's Indian rosewood, not Brazilian.
Not that I travel with my guitar, but I have no idea what kind of
documentation you need these days not to run afoul of CITES regulations.
There may be a few makers that have stock of Brazilian, but I assume
it's pretty much history for guitar making--and I don't even know if
Indian rosewood is safe to transport without papers.
The guitar I play most is a 1960s Martin 00-16, so I'm not exactly
playing a concert instrument either. Maybe I'll sploige someday.
Ken Blake
2021-10-27 15:04:31 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Sorry, I should mentioned that it's Indian rosewood, not Brazilian.
Not that I travel with my guitar,
I never do.
Post by Steven Bornfeld
but I have no idea what kind of
documentation you need these days not to run afoul of CITES regulations.
There may be a few makers that have stock of Brazilian, but I assume
it's pretty much history for guitar making--and I don't even know if
Indian rosewood is safe to transport without papers.
It's hard to imagine an official caring about or even knowing what wood
a guitar is made from.
Post by Steven Bornfeld
The guitar I play most is a 1960s Martin 00-16,
Not exactly a classical guitar.

I still have my Martin D-35 (around 1978), my main guitar until I
started with classical guitar. I almost never even take it out of the
case these days.
Ken
Steven Bornfeld
2021-10-27 15:55:59 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
The guitar I play most is a 1960s Martin 00-16,
Not exactly a classical guitar.
I misspoke--it's a 0016C. Still not really a classical.
Paul Carmichael
2021-10-28 11:22:19 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
PS: Going to a music shop in Málaga tomorrow. I want to see what a
proper guitar feels and plays like. My Takamine 300€ jobby sounds awful
and I don't think it's just my playing. Plucking the g string sounds
like wacking a wall with a shoe.
I've heard it said that the magic number for a student like me is 1000€.
Anything below that will be a toy and anything above will be decoration.
I keep seeing guitars advertised for much more.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Went to the shop. It's a typical town centre music shop selling a vast
range of low-end everything.

The assistant bloke wasn't interested in even talking to me.

Back to square one.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Paul Carmichael
2021-10-28 16:15:04 UTC
I don't know anything about stores in Spain, but in my experience here
in the US, a music store is almost always a poor place to shop for a
classical guitar. Most of them have few to choose from and they are all
usually of low quality.
You need to go somewhere that specializes in classical guitars and
that's often a shop where they are built, not a store.
Yes, I feel a trip to Granada coming on. There *has* to a place there.
And I did rather like using the trams when I was last there.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Ken Blake