A Presentation for the NYCCGS
2019-12-30 20:39:59 UTC
First, best wishes to one and all in celebrating the New Year. Hope you have a great year!

I'll be doing a talk/performance presented by the New York City Classical Guitar Society about my work as a medical musician on Thursday, January 9th at 7 p.m. For more information:

https://nyccgs.com/january-2020-meeting-andrew-schulman/

Best regards,
Andrew
Bert Alink
2020-01-04 17:16:04 UTC
First, best wishes to one and all in celebrating the New Year. Hope you have a great year!
https://nyccgs.com/january-2020-meeting-andrew-schulman/
Best regards,
Andrew
Best wishes to you too.

Interesting, but too far away for me. What are your penicillin pieces?
Andrew Schulman
2020-01-04 22:24:27 UTC
Post by Bert Alink
Post by Andrew Schulman
First, best wishes to one and all in celebrating the New Year. Hope you have a great year!
https://nyccgs.com/january-2020-meeting-andrew-schulman/
Best regards,
Andrew
Best wishes to you too.
Interesting, but too far away for me. What are your penicillin pieces?
My talk is centered on these pieces:: -

Chorale: - Befiehl du deine Wege…J.S. Bach
Here Comes The Sun…George Harrison

Prelude, BWV 1007…J.S. Bach

Manhã de Carnival…Luiz Bonfá
The Entertainer…Scott Joplin

Ständchen…Franz Schubert
Summertime…George Gershwin

Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring...J.S. Bach
It Had to Be You...Isham Jones
Andrew Schulman
2020-01-06 17:18:19 UTC
Post by Bert Alink
Post by Andrew Schulman
First, best wishes to one and all in celebrating the New Year. Hope you have a great year!
https://nyccgs.com/january-2020-meeting-andrew-schulman/
Best regards,
Andrew
Best wishes to you too.
Interesting, but too far away for me. What are your penicillin pieces?
My talk is centered on these pieces:: -
Chorale: - Befiehl du deine Wege…J.S. Bach
Here Comes The Sun…George Harrison
Prelude, BWV 1007…J.S. Bach
Manhã de Carnival…Luiz Bonfá
The Entertainer…Scott Joplin
Ständchen…Franz Schubert
Summertime…George Gershwin
Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring...J.S. Bach
It Had to Be You...Isham Jones
Bert, I just changed the last pair to this::
Little Theme in D...Peter Williams
It Had to Be You...Isham Jones

Each grouping of pieces connects to different situations one encounters in playing in a critical care unit. The Williams piece, unpublished, is a particularly effective piece for certain situations.

Andrew
Bert Alink

Am I correct when I say that you start the pairs with a slower/sadder piece and end with a more upbeat song?
Andrew Schulman
2020-01-06 19:25:20 UTC
Post by Bert Alink
Post by Bert Alink
Post by Andrew Schulman
[...]
Yes, less Bach as I will spend some time with the Prelude analyzing it as to why it is so effective as healing music. And the Peter Williams piece is also exceptionally good that way.

Yes also about slower/sadder to upbeat. Although there is no default position in medical music that progression is often effective for a reason.