Why is Bach the best?
Jackson K. Eskew
2006-09-10 07:55:27 UTC
The question assumes, first of all, that Bach is indeed the best, and
that you aren't a subject of today's dictatorship of relativism, that
you still recognize that there are indeed valid orders of rank and
objective criteria of beauty. In this thread, bromides such as "That's
your opinion" or "You're entitled to your opinion" are not permitted.

State your case. A possible outline:

I. Thesis: Bach is the best composer because he most fully satisifies
all of the objective criteria of beauty. Note that this statement
implicitly rejects the relativism inherent in such false bromides as
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." The eye (ear) of every beholder
could conclude that Bach is the worst, yet he would still be the
best....

II. The Objective Criteria of Beauty

a. -----
b. -----
c. -----
d. -----

III. How Bach Most Satifies These Criteria

a. -----
b. -----
c. -----
d. -----

III. Conclusion: Bach is the best.

Comparison with other great composers will obviously be in order in
establishing that Bach is the best.
Jackson K. Eskew
2006-09-10 07:57:03 UTC
Clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach.
Jackson K. Eskew
2006-09-10 07:57:47 UTC
Further clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach's music.
Toom Tabard
2006-09-10 10:15:04 UTC
Thesis: Bach is the best composer because he most fully satisifies....
Clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach.
Further clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach's music.
Thanks for all the clarification.

In my view, J.S. Bach is indeed the best composer of the music of J.S.
Bach. However my experience may be limited by never having heard any
J.S. Bach music composed by anyone else. Can you recommend any works by
other composers of J.S Bach's music that I could listen to, to enable
me to make a more informed assessment ?

(Did you know that Bach wrote works for several types of recorder, but
never published soundclips from any of them ?)

Toom
Jez
2006-09-10 10:27:29 UTC
Post by Toom Tabard
Thesis: Bach is the best composer because he most fully satisifies....
Clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach.
Further clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach's music.
Thanks for all the clarification.
In my view, J.S. Bach is indeed the best composer of the music of J.S.
Bach. However my experience may be limited by never having heard any
J.S. Bach music composed by anyone else. Can you recommend any works by
other composers of J.S Bach's music that I could listen to, to enable
me to make a more informed assessment ?
(Did you know that Bach wrote works for several types of recorder, but
never published soundclips from any of them ?)
Was he on a dial-up connection ?
That might explain it.
--
Jez, MBA.,
Country Dancing and Advanced Astrology, UBS.

'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable notion
that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often led to
accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what that
reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be skeptical of
someone else's description of reality.'-
Howard Zinn
Toom Tabard
2006-09-10 10:59:33 UTC
Post by Jez
Post by Toom Tabard
(Did you know that Bach wrote works for several types of recorder, but
never published soundclips from any of them ?)
Was he on a dial-up connection ?
That might explain it.
Another possibility is that, whilst they had all these recorders, the
microphone hadn't been invented yet. Bet they didn't mention that when
you bought the recorder. Back in those days you could also invent a
cure for which there was no disease. Nowadays, you can find a cure and
then invent a disease for which the cure works.

Toom
wollybird
2006-09-10 14:07:41 UTC
Post by Toom Tabard
Thesis: Bach is the best composer because he most fully satisifies....
Clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach.
Further clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach's music.
Thanks for all the clarification.
In my view, J.S. Bach is indeed the best composer of the music of J.S.
Bach. However my experience may be limited by never having heard any
J.S. Bach music composed by anyone else. Can you recommend any works by
other composers of J.S Bach's music that I could listen to, to enable
me to make a more informed assessment ?
(Did you know that Bach wrote works for several types of recorder, but
never published soundclips from any of them ?)
Toom
There were a few other Bachs, Toom.

I wonder how many blue books will be turned in. Is there a due date?
are you grading on a curve?
Toom Tabard
2006-09-10 14:35:35 UTC
Post by wollybird
Post by Toom Tabard
Thesis: Bach is the best composer because he most fully satisifies....
Clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach.
Further clarification: The subject is J.S. Bach's music.
Thanks for all the clarification.
In my view, J.S. Bach is indeed the best composer of the music of J.S.
Bach. However my experience may be limited by never having heard any
J.S. Bach music composed by anyone else. Can you recommend any works by
other composers of J.S Bach's music that I could listen to, to enable
me to make a more informed assessment ?
(Did you know that Bach wrote works for several types of recorder, but
never published soundclips from any of them ?)
Toom
There were a few other Bachs, Toom.
Aw, go on - you're pulling our legs.

So, did any of them also write the works of J.S. Bach ?

Are you sure you're paying attention ?

Toom
William D Clinger
2006-09-10 14:38:17 UTC
Post by wollybird
There were a few other Bachs, Toom.
Goodness gracious, wollybird! Don't you read Jackson's posts?
Jackson issued a clarification stipulating J S Bach, and then
another clarification stipulating J S Bach's music.

Obligatory musical (if not guitar) content: I agree with
Toom that J S Bach was one of the very best composers of
J S Bach's music. As for why, I think that's obvious to
most here, but I don't know how to explain it to Jackson.

Will