OT: Scott Ross Playing Scarlatti
JPD
2019-04-24 19:51:58 UTC
Yes, it's not guitar, but it's the best damn thing I've heard in a long time. Should be of interest to a few guitarists.

r***@yahoo.com
2019-04-24 21:49:26 UTC
Post by JPD
Yes, it's not guitar, but it's the best damn thing I've heard in a long time. Should be of interest to a few guitarists.
http://youtu.be/uOLClyWb_EI
I have more than one set of the "complete" Scarlatti sonatas on harpsichord. Scott Ross is my favorite.

When the GFA convention was held in Merida, Yucatan (2003?) Wolfgang Lendle played a concert of Scarlatti sonatas and works by modern Spanish composers such as Turina. From my perspective of years of experience with flamenco guitar, the Scarlatti pieces sounded more "Spanish" than the ones by Spanish composers.

https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Contrasts-Wolfgang-Lendle/dp/B00DYVE9FY

https://www.kreuzberg-records.de/verlag/index.php?cat=c29_Guitar-solo.html&page=2

RNJ
JPD
2019-04-24 22:26:34 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by JPD
Yes, it's not guitar, but it's the best damn thing I've heard in a long time. Should be of interest to a few guitarists.
http://youtu.be/uOLClyWb_EI
I have more than one set of the "complete" Scarlatti sonatas on harpsichord. Scott Ross is my favorite.
When the GFA convention was held in Merida, Yucatan (2003?) Wolfgang Lendle played a concert of Scarlatti sonatas and works by modern Spanish composers such as Turina. From my perspective of years of experience with flamenco guitar, the Scarlatti pieces sounded more "Spanish" than the ones by Spanish composers.
https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Contrasts-Wolfgang-Lendle/dp/B00DYVE9FY
https://www.kreuzberg-records.de/verlag/index.php?cat=c29_Guitar-solo.html&page=2
RNJ
Two hours later and I'm still listening to these two geniuses.

Yes on the Spanishness of Scarlatti.

A year or two ago I recorded a video of the Brazil Duo performing Rameau's “Les Cyclopes” from “Pieces de Clavecin.” They did a great job. I'll see if I can get their permission to put it online.
tom g
2019-04-25 13:56:24 UTC
Post by JPD
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by JPD
[...]
2 great Scarlatti guitarists:

and:

JPD
2019-04-26 19:47:03 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by JPD
http://youtu.be/m_OxubLJPSY
http://youtu.be/RKVPCW9rjgw
http://youtu.be/2dHX4IyO818
After listening to Ross on the harpsichord, these guys sound like they're underwater. They're not doing justice to Scarlatti, nor to the guitar.
tom g
There is no doubt that there is a difference because each instrument has its own character. Simply to to think of the harpsichord when we are listening to the guitar, will not reveal the positive elements of the difference.
Andrew Schulman
2019-04-27 14:52:29 UTC
Post by tom g
Post by JPD
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by JPD
[...]
I think Ross is great but so is Desiderio. If I was sitting in a room and had to choose one or the other to listen to in live performance I'd go with Desiderio because I prefer the intimacy and timbre of his sound.

What I'm saying is when the performance level is very high it's just personal choice.

Andrew
tom g
+ 1
Steven Bornfeld
2019-08-15 03:26:05 UTC
Post by JPD
Yes, it's not guitar, but it's the best damn thing I've heard in a long time. Should be of interest to a few guitarists.
http://youtu.be/uOLClyWb_EI
ArkiveMusic has Scott Ross's Scarlatti collection on sale for $49.99

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=108727