The best rh exercise?
Alcibiades
2007-10-14 02:15:27 UTC
What's the single best exercise for the rh, the one with the widest
possible benefits? VL #1?
Larry Deack
2007-10-14 02:31:03 UTC
Post by Alcibiades
What's the single best exercise
for the rh, the one with the widest
possible benefits?
Well... it's not the one you've been using on your own all these
years, that's for sure.
Alain Reiher
2007-10-14 03:12:05 UTC
Post by Alcibiades
What's the single best exercise
for the rh, the one with the widest
possible benefits?
For exercises ... Giuliani Opus 1 or Berg revisited version. (Just checked
and Wollybird beat me to the punch for this one!)
Now if you are speaking about a study ... it difficult to pin point one an
only study that would cover the entire spectrum of RH techniques. I have
found that Sor study # 2 (Segovia) is excellent for placement and balance of
RH.
M. Giluiani Opus 83 #1-excellent too for both hands and moreover, a good
exercise for memorization. if you want to go the virtuoso way ... Tarrega's
Estudio Brillante is excellent ... Sagreras El colibri too, Pujol el abejo
(P imi)...
Aguado has some excellent ones too ... # 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 from
his 25 pieces pour Guitare extraites de la methode pour guitare.

And

Napoleon Coste # 23.
Bach Prelude BWV 999 (Not a study but ...)
Brower # 6.

Left hand endurance + Slow arppegios ...

Llobet Romanza (1896)
Rodrigo Riera Preludio Criollo
Sor Opus 29 # 13 and # 17 (Segovia)
Barrios preludio en La mineur (beautiful piece).

Alain

There is more ...
Alcibiades
2007-10-14 04:45:43 UTC
Friends, in my original message, I very consciously included three
words: "the," "single," and "best." This was meant as a triple
reinforcement of the fact that I'm asking not for a list of exercises,
each of which is among the best, but for that one exercise which is
the best - in your opinion, of course. Andrew understood this
perfectly. Please use his answer as a model of yours. Thanks.
C***@hotmail.com
2007-10-14 13:43:01 UTC
Post by Alcibiades
Friends, in my original message, I very consciously included three
words: "the," "single," and "best." This was meant as a triple
reinforcement of the fact that I'm asking not for a list of exercises,
each of which is among the best, but for that one exercise which is
the best - in your opinion,<
It gives me great pleasure and intense satisfaction to avail myself of
this opportunity to say ________________ _______________________
____________________ ______________________ _____________ ___________
________
___________________________________________ ________________________
_______________________________
Which explains why the above post didn't quite have the ring of
______________ . ____________________ _______ _________
_________________________ ________________________________________
sonority and vibrancy when___
______________________ ________________________________
__________________________ ________________ __
________________________________ _________________________________
_________________________________
presence, color, ravishing tone,__________ depth of timbre and
"snap". _______ . __________ otherwise dull, lifeless ameturish
plucking and gnashing of strings.

I hope this helps,

Che'
Tashi
MT
David Raleigh Arnold
2007-10-14 10:19:41 UTC
Post by Alain Reiher
Post by Alcibiades
What's the single best exercise
for the rh, the one with the widest
possible benefits?
For exercises ... Giuliani Opus 1 or Berg revisited version. (Just
checked and Wollybird beat me to the punch for this one!)
Terrible choice.
Post by Alain Reiher
Now if you are speaking about a study ... it difficult to pin point
one an only study that would cover the entire spectrum of RH
techniques. I have found that Sor study # 2 (Segovia) is excellent for
placement and balance of RH.
M. Giluiani Opus 83 #1-excellent too for both hands and moreover, a good
exercise for memorization. if you want to go the virtuoso way ...
Tarrega's Estudio Brillante is excellent ... Sagreras El colibri too,
Pujol el abejo (P imi)
My "Broom" etude is much much more helpful than the Pujol. Shame on you
for not including it.
Post by Alain Reiher
Napoleon Coste # 23.
You should mention that one of the publishers moved the Tarantella to
the end, and in that edition it is #22. This one is without doubt
next to HVL #1. Early in his career, Segovia used to play it BTW.
Post by Alain Reiher
There is more ...
Needless to say, Jackson didn't understand that there was a
contradiction in his question, so he accuses you of not understanding
it, when instead you disagree with it. Surprise surprise. daveA
--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards
solos, duets, exercises. http://www.openguitar.com/contact.html
Wollybird
I'll take that as a ringing endorsement.
C***@hotmail.com
2007-10-14 13:53:34 UTC
Post by David Raleigh Arnold
My "Broom" etude is much much more helpful than the Pujol. Shame on you
for not including it.<
That's a sly trick...trying to get other people to dust your broom for
you.

Che'
Andrew Schulman
2007-10-14 15:48:08 UTC
Post by David Raleigh Arnold
You should mention that one of the publishers moved the Tarantella to
the end, and in that edition it is #22. This one is without doubt
next to HVL #1. Early in his career, Segovia used to play it BTW.
Yes, the Coste #22 is a great RH study, I'd probably say that's next
also. I say probably with both because I haven't spent more then a
moment while looking at this thread thinking about the choices, but V-
L #1 and Coste #22 do leap out as great choices.

Andrew
Matanya Ophee
2007-10-14 16:29:28 UTC
Yes, the Coste #22 is a great RH study, I'd probably say that's next
also. I say probably with both because I haven't spent more then a
moment while looking at this thread thinking about the choices, but V-
L #1 and Coste #22 do leap out as great choices.
Without question, the best choice is Terry Gaschen's 720 RH formulas
for V-L # 1. Not published but I am sure Terry, who used to post here,
will be happy to share it with you. By the time you went through the
first couple of hundred of these, it will be time to go to bed.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.editionsorphee.com
http://matanya.livejournal.com
Larry Deack
2007-10-14 16:41:26 UTC
720 - interesting number.
Matanya Ophee
2007-10-14 16:51:52 UTC
Post by Larry Deack
Post by Matanya Ophee
Without question, the best choice is
Terry Gaschen's 720 RH formulas for V-L # 1.
720 - interesting number.
I guess this is the limit imposed by the mathematics involving six
strings and four fingers.

Add one more string and one more finger and see how far this can go...

Larry Deack
2007-10-14 18:03:34 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by Larry Deack
720 - interesting number.
I guess this is the limit imposed
by the mathematics involving six
strings and four fingers.
Matanya, there are many ways to deal with combinations depending on
the constraints. 6 strings and 4 fingers are just such assumptions but
to further complicate this there are entire classes of fingerings that
must not be used to get to 720. 120 is just as arbitrary and both seem
to point to the fallacy of trying to "define" a set of combinations by
creating lists.

I have no idea why one would publish a set of combinations in the
first place since any mathematical set could easily be given as in this
thread with simple symbols and no need for a printed score.
Wollybird
6!x4!
Larry Deack
2007-10-14 19:55:01 UTC
6!x4!
Hey wollybuddy! You are as least playing in the right sand box but
the numbers still don't add up, do they?

It would be nice to get some idea of the constraints that CG
pedagogues use to limit the number of things one needs to study. Is it
120 or 720 or 12 "secret" steps? How do people come up with these silly
numbers?

If you continue down this path the number of hours spent to play ALL
combinations would be quite a bit more than most people seem to realize.
It adds up real fast when you apply it to scales, chords and other
patterns in music that can be transformed an almost infinite number of ways.

Anyway, it seems a waste of time to study much outside the music
itself unless you know exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I've
seen some very weird repetitious stuff people do and try to justify as
"rigor" when in fact they are just feeling their way along and not
really defining what "combinations" of fingerings makes sense to study.
You can't avoid the math here but perhaps it can be used to refine our
study of fingerings we need to play the music we love.
Wollybird
2007-10-14 22:01:11 UTC