Johnny Smith Guitar Interpretations
Michael Horowitz
2004-06-22 17:44:15 UTC
Hi All,

Johnny Smith's excellent book of arrangements classical themes for
solo guitar is now available for Download at DjangoBooks.com

For more info or to download see: http://www.djangobooks.com/

-Michael
Aryeh Eller
2004-06-22 22:58:49 UTC
Post by Michael Horowitz
Hi All,
Johnny Smith's excellent book of arrangements classical themes for
solo guitar is now available for Download at DjangoBooks.com
For more info or to download see: http://www.djangobooks.com/
-Michael
Those IMO are not nearly even close to Johnny Smith's best work. They
really are for plectrum pick style and not really suited to classical
guitar. The best arr. is the Londonberry Air (Danny Boy) at the end of
the book and even it is pretty pedestrian compared to Chet Atkins or
Takemitsu's arr.'s for instance.

Johnny Smith's best solo work is on an old album called The Man With The
Blue Guitar. Take that album and sit down and transcribe every song off
of there because each arr. is positively gorgeous. Smith used low D
tuning for all of his arr.'s giving them a very rich sound.

You can get that amazing album on CD now from Mosaic Records in an 8-CD
box set of Johnny Smith Small Group Sessions which goes for $128. I
would run out and buy the box set now before there's no more left
(limited edition of 5,000), it's some of the most beautiful pick style
sweet jazz style playing ever recorded.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionID=1034
John Wasak
2004-06-23 00:09:54 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Michael Horowitz
[...]
Hi Aryeh,

I'd just like to add that for those not in the mood to spend $128. there is
what I consider to be a definitive Johnny Smith recording ( single CD)
titled " The Sound Of The Johnny Smith Guitar" (with the peerless Hank Jones
on piano!) on the Roulette Jazz label (7243 5 31792 2 9). There is some
very fine guitar playing to be had here!

And those Mosaic folks sure know how to do it, don't they?...

jw
Aryeh Eller
2004-06-23 01:19:14 UTC
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by Michael Horowitz
[...]
Yep I was lucky, 'twas a Father's Day present!! :-) - though it
probably was charged on me and my lovely wife's joint credit card :(

Have you heard The Man With The Blue Guitar? Apparently Johnny recorded
it at home in his basement. Such beautiful elegant playing and fabulous
arr.'s of standards and a few classical pieces by Ravel, Debussy and
Scriabin.

Say what's the official story of Johnny's sight reading feat of
Schoenberg's Serenade? Did he do it at sight or did he have 5 days to
prepare? According to this article right here (see link below) he had 5
days to prepare for the Wed. night performance. There was supposed to be
a Mon. rehearsal so Johnny got himself all stoned up on a Friday night
only to get a call Sat. morning for a surprise rehearsal which even
though he was hung over for managed to get through successfully. By Wed.
night he had the piece mastered.

http://www.csindy.com/csindy/2001-03-15/cover.html
John Wasak
2004-06-23 01:44:29 UTC
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Hi Aryeh,
I'd just like to add that for those not in the mood to spend $128. there is
what I consider to be a definitive Johnny Smith recording ( single CD)
titled " The Sound Of The Johnny Smith Guitar" (with the peerless Hank Jones
on piano!) on the Roulette Jazz label (7243 5 31792 2 9). There is some
very fine guitar playing to be had here!
And those Mosaic folks sure know how to do it, don't they?...
jw
Yep I was lucky, 'twas a Father's Day present!! :-) - though it
probably was charged on me and my lovely wife's joint credit card
It's the thought that counts! ha-ha!
Post by Aryeh Eller
Have you heard The Man With The Blue Guitar? Apparently Johnny recorded
it at home in his basement. Such beautiful elegant playing and fabulous
arr.'s of standards and a few classical pieces by Ravel, Debussy and
Scriabin.
No, I haven't, but still, I prefer Johnny Smith doing jazz rather than
classical arrangements
Post by Aryeh Eller
Say what's the official story of Johnny's sight reading feat of
Schoenberg's Serenade? Did he do it at sight or did he have 5 days to
prepare? According to this article right here (see link below) he had 5
days to prepare for the Wed. night performance. There was supposed to be
a Mon. rehearsal so Johnny got himself all stoned up on a Friday night
only to get a call Sat. morning for a surprise rehearsal which even
though he was hung over for managed to get through successfully. By Wed.
night he had the piece mastered.
http://www.csindy.com/csindy/2001-03-15/cover.html
I guess that's the story. I posted about the same thing here some time ago.

see:

http://tinyurl.com/27aem

jw
John Wasak
2004-06-23 22:15:10 UTC
And would he have been more well known if he called himself Johnny "Guitar"
Smith?...

Does anyone remember a movie titled 'Johnny Guitar'?

Does anyone care?.........

jw
Aryeh Eller
2004-06-23 23:55:49 UTC
Post by John Wasak
And would he have been more well known if he called himself Johnny "Guitar"
Smith?...
Well that was already taken by Johnny "Guitar' Watson the rhythm and
blues guitarist.

You really need to hear Johnny's The Man With The Blue Guitar. I mention
this album because it's probably very interesting to classical players
who appreciate and enjoy playing arr.'s of pop tunes and standards,
something there's definitely a desire and niche for in the CG world for
considering the work of everybody the likes of Laurindo Almeida, Jorge
Morel, Barbosa-Lima, John Duarte, Mario Abril, Roland Dyens, Howard
Heitmeyer etc..

Johnny's arr.'s are very modern sounding for their time, they sound
completely fresh to my ears today. Each of the arr.'s on that is album
blows away anything available for the same tune by a classical guitar
syle arranger. Johnny's arr. of Black is The Color of My True Love's
Hair is a true concert piece and is much more successful that John
Duarte's of the same tune which is featured in his Appalachian Dreams
Suite written for Sharon Isbin. The arr.'s of My Romance, I Loves You
Porgy, Dancing in The Dark, My Funny Valentine, Little Girl Blue, Old
Folks etc. are stunning and even though they are written with a sweeping
chord melody pick style which may sound a bit dry on a classical because
of the lack of sustain they could easily be adapted to classical guitar
by use of arpeggiation and overall filling out the accompaniment to make
it sound more flowing to an instrument that naturally does not have the
sustain of a jazz guitar plugged into a small amp with a bit of reverb.
Anyway what I'm saying is that there's much to learn from Johnny's
arranging approach and chord progressions and voicings that every
classical guitar composer and arranger should be aware of. Johnny Smith
is a very cool cat. You know he didn't consider himself a jazz musician
not because he wasn't steeped in the jazz vernacular but because like
musicians the caliber of Duke Ellington and others he didn't want to be
limited and pigeonholed into one narrow musical category when he
artistically stretched into different areas. He even wrote and recorded
a song that was a hit for the Ventures, "Walk Don't Run".
Post by John Wasak
Does anyone remember a movie titled 'Johnny Guitar'?
Yes, 1954!
Post by John Wasak
Does anyone care?.........
Sure, say did you know they had an off-broadway musical this year based
on that old Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden very strange western with
beautiful music by Victor Young? The new show has music by Martin
Silvestri. I'm not sure if the show's still on, it may have flopped..

Check it out at:

http://www.johnnyguitarthemusical.com

I have an old recording of Brazilian guitarist Dilermando Reis playing
the theme from Johnny Guitar by Victor Young. very catchy melody, sounds
a bit like Granados' Spanish Dance #5.
John Wasak
2004-06-24 01:25:10 UTC
Aryeh Eller <***@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:bandoneon1800-***@nycmny-nntp-rdr-03-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.c
om...
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
And would he have been more well known if he called himself Johnny "Guitar"
Smith?...
Well that was already taken by Johnny "Guitar' Watson the rhythm and
blues guitarist.
You have a point there!
Post by Aryeh Eller
[...]
Is this a solo guitar recording and what's the date of recording?
Post by Aryeh Eller
You know he didn't consider himself a jazz musician
not because he wasn't steeped in the jazz vernacular but because like
musicians the caliber of Duke Ellington and others he didn't want to be
limited and pigeonholed into one narrow musical category when he
artistically stretched into different areas.
He even wrote and recorded
a song that was a hit for the Ventures, "Walk Don't Run".
Yep. Now, that song was definitely one of my early guitar influences.
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Does anyone remember a movie titled 'Johnny Guitar'?
Yes, 1954!
Aha! Well, I'm glad someone did! Cool movie.
Post by Aryeh Eller
Post by John Wasak
Does anyone care?.........
Sure, say did you know they had an off-broadway musical this year based
on that old Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden very strange western with
beautiful music by Victor Young? The new show has music by Martin
Silvestri. I'm not sure if the show's still on, it may have flopped..
http://www.johnnyguitarthemusical.com
Ya' know, I thought I remembered 'Johhny Guitar' for some reason more recent
than the old movie. Your mention of the off-Broadway musical just rang a
bell. I recall, a few months back, one day, seeing a big banner hanging off
a building on one of the blocks to the east of Union Square with "Johnny
Guitar" emblazoned on it.

Bein' that it's kinda my first name and that I play a guitar, it's one of
those things ya' tend to remember! ;-)

jw
Aryeh Eller