Is it safe?
JMF
2021-06-25 13:13:24 UTC
(Note the nice reference to Marathon Man in the subject line.)

Yesterday as I was tuning my guitar, the tuning knob on the 6th string
snapped in two pieces and fell off. Aside from being extremely annoying,
since it hadn't been that many years since I had replaced the tuning
mechanism, I started planning where to go to replace the mechanism again.

Later, I reflected that the snap had been very clean, and "just for fun"
I decided to glue it all back together with Super Glue. After leaving it
overnight, I'm testing it today and it acts perfectly normal again. But
the lingering question remains:

Is it safe?

Can I rely on this fix to last? Can I be sure it's not going to break
again, like during a performance?

So I'm asking if anybody has done anything similar and had reliable
results. Super Glue is certainly pretty reliable in certain
circumstances, so it's not entirely unthinkable. But if I don't hear
anything back in the affirmative from you all, then I'll probably just
go ahead and replace the tuning mechanism anyway.

Thanks,

John
Curmudgeon
2021-06-25 16:02:02 UTC
Post by JMF
[...]
Like most men, my go-to when something breaks is duct tape. But CA glue is also good and probably would last longer than duct tape in this instance.
Cheers
Dave
JMF
2021-06-25 18:12:42 UTC
Post by Curmudgeon
Post by JMF
[...]
Thanks, Dave, sounds promising. Actually, I didn't know the moniker "CA"
for Super Glue. Learned something new.

John
Curmudgeon
CA = cyanoacrylate, AKA superglue
Gerry
2021-06-26 05:26:01 UTC
Post by JMF
[...]
It will work fine for the life of the guitar.

Just in case, I recommend wearing protective goggles when you
play--purely a precaution. This unrelated to the tuner, just
overarching safety concerns.
JMF
2021-06-26 07:17:03 UTC
Post by Gerry
Post by JMF
[...]
LOL!

So, do you know of any fashion outlets where I can at least get trendy
protective goggle styles for my performances?

John
Gerry
2021-06-27 04:07:20 UTC
Post by JMF
Post by Gerry
Post by JMF
[...]
Home Depot will do just fine. Add a colorful bowtie for "trendy".