Classical guitar shopping
Bill Godwin
2019-07-29 17:01:43 UTC
I am shopping to upgrade my current instrument.

I currently own a Cordoba GK Studio negra.

This model is one of those "Hybrid" guitars it is capable of being played electric or acoustically.

I do like the guitar however after playing a few other Cordoba instruments
( a C-10 and a C-12) I realize it is somewhat of a compromise.

If I am looking in the 1000-1500 (US) range do you have any suggestions of models or even better shops where I could go play some different guitars?

I live in New Hampshire USA so a shop within 4 or 5 hour drive of Boston Ma would be a great find.

thanks in advance

Bill Godwin
Gerry
2019-07-29 18:51:31 UTC
Post by Bill Godwin
I am shopping to upgrade my current instrument.
I currently own a Cordoba GK Studio negra.
This model is one of those "Hybrid" guitars it is capable of being
played electric or acoustically.
I do like the guitar however after playing a few other Cordoba instruments
( a C-10 and a C-12) I realize it is somewhat of a compromise.
If I am looking in the 1000-1500 (US) range do you have any suggestions
of models or even better shops where I could go play some different
guitars?
I live in New Hampshire USA so a shop within 4 or 5 hour drive of
Boston Ma would be a great find.
thanks in advance
Is your intent to play classical lit. on the instrument, or general
music with both fingers and/or pick?

Guitar Salon periodically has significant guitars that bump into your
price range. Here's one that's close:

https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5864-vicente-carrillo-quotindia-estudioquot.html

Ramirez seems the ubiquitous name for this price range, and some owners
are great loyalists, Nate Najar being one.

What do you think the classical side of the instrument has to
"compromise" for electric access?

Surely Boston has some significant classical guitar shops...?
Bill Godwin
2019-07-30 03:07:24 UTC
Hey Gerry! Didnt know you hung out here!
Post by Gerry
Is your intent to play classical lit. on the instrument, or general
music with both fingers and/or pick?
I intent to play Classical Lit on the instrument. I'm learning what I assume are beginning pieces ie some Sor studies and just really enjoying it. I picked up a book of Classical pieces for classical guitar edited by Jerry Willard and I'm having a blast sight reading through some of them. It's all really new territory.
Post by Gerry
Guitar Salon periodically has significant guitars that bump into your
https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5864-vicente-carrillo-quotindia-estudioquot.html
Ramirez seems the ubiquitous name for this price range, and some owners
are great loyalists, Nate Najar being one.
What do you think the classical side of the instrument has to
"compromise" for electric access?
I think the guitar I'm playing currently is a compromise in so far as the straight acoustic sound is noticeably less resonant in all registers, is not as powerful, relative to it's more costly cousins the C-10 and C-12
Post by Gerry
Surely Boston has some significant classical guitar shops...?
You would think so... I sure have not found them if they exist yet

Gerry, Thanks for your input.
John
2019-07-30 04:42:10 UTC
Boston has a classical guitar society:

https://bostonguitar.org/

that could help navigate shops, or a member might know of something for sale privately.

John R.
Bill Godwin
2019-07-31 16:32:19 UTC
Thank you!!
Gerry
2019-07-30 05:53:36 UTC
Post by Bill Godwin
Hey Gerry! Didnt know you hung out here!
Is your intent to play classical lit. on the instrument, or general>
music with both fingers and/or pick?
I intent to play Classical Lit on the instrument. I'm learning what I
assume are beginning pieces ie some Sor studies and just really
enjoying it. I picked up a book of Classical pieces for classical
guitar edited by Jerry Willard and I'm having a blast sight reading
through some of them. It's all really new territory.
It's a lot of fun, especially for wandering sight-reading jaunts. I
have a loads of classical and Brazilian stuff I've collected over the
years, and though no connoisseur, I have a lot of un.
Post by Bill Godwin
Guitar Salon periodically has significant guitars that bump into your
https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5864-vicente-carrillo-quotindia-estudioquot.html>>>
Ramirez seems the ubiquitous name for this price range, and some
owners> are great loyalists, Nate Najar being one.
What do you think the classical side of the instrument has to
"compromise" for electric access?
I think the guitar I'm playing currently is a compromise in so far as
the straight acoustic sound is noticeably less resonant in all
registers, is not as powerful, relative to it's more costly cousins the
C-10 and C-12
Surely Boston has some significant classical guitar shops...?
You would think so... I sure have not found them if they exist yet
I don't know how well stocked their shops are around there, but when I
was last shopping for a classical 15+ years ago there was a lot of
stuff in the local Guitar Center; a quiet room and significant options.
About Boston's classical stock, I don't know. An email or phone call
would get you some idea.
Dan Mozell
2019-08-03 20:01:57 UTC
Boston doesn't have a classical guitar store but the Music Emporium in Lexington does have some. I bought a Cervantes Studio Millenium there for around 1800. Great guitar for the price. There's a store in Worcester (don't remember the name) with some classicals.
Bill Godwin
2019-08-04 03:08:07 UTC
Post by Dan Mozell
Boston doesn't have a classical guitar store but the Music Emporium in Lexington does have some. I bought a Cervantes Studio Millenium there for around 1800. Great guitar for the price. There's a store in Worcester (don't remember the name) with some classicals.
Thank you

The last visit to the Music Emporium's website yielded two classical guitars. Probably worth a trip assuming they have not updated their page.

Maybe Union Music might be the store you were referring to in Worcester?
Dan Mozell