Cellist Pierre Fournier and the Bach Cello Suites
Sales at SavageClassical dot com
2006-10-25 21:52:12 UTC
I have recently become aware of this cellist, a predecessor to Casals. I
was curious if anyone is aware of his recordings, thoughts on his
interpretations of the above, and where they might be found, if they still
exist. Much obliged for your attention.
--
Kind Regards,

Richard F. Sayage
Savage Classical GT
93 South Penataquit Ave.
Bay Shore, NY 11706
631-665-3969

www.savageclassical.com
***@savageclassical.com
j***@aol.com
2006-10-25 22:00:09 UTC
Post by Sales at SavageClassical dot com
I have recently become aware of this cellist, a predecessor to Casals. I
was curious if anyone is aware of his recordings, thoughts on his
interpretations of the above, and where they might be found, if they still
exist. Much obliged for your attention.
I assume you meant to say that Fournier was a *successor* to
Casals...he was born 30 years after Casals. That said, I don't think of
him as stylistically particularly close to Casals. Fournier is his own
man.

If you look through the archives of this newsgroup you will find many,
many comments about Fournier. He is well known and respected, not just
for his recordings of Bach (found in any good recordings store online,
like Amazon, etc.--he recorded the suites more than once). Fournier is
certainly not forgotten. A recent thread on the Bach Suites brought
several mentions of his recordings and obviously many people consider
them favorites to this day.

--Jeff
Steve Emerson
2006-10-26 00:18:57 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]
Including me. I haven't heard the live one Ramon mentions and am anxious
to do so, but even at that, as of now, the DG Originals set would be the
single Cello Suites I would keep if I had to pare down to one.

SE.
Paul Ilechko
2006-10-26 01:57:58 UTC
Ditto.
Bob Lombard
2006-10-26 02:03:11 UTC
Post by Paul Ilechko
Post by Steve Emerson
Including me. I haven't heard the live one Ramon mentions and am
anxious to do so, but even at that, as of now, the DG Originals set
would be the single Cello Suites I would keep if I had to pare down
to one.
Ditto.
Can't ditto the ditto. my 'one if only one' would be the Schiff.

bl
Jackson K. Eskew
2006-10-26 02:18:26 UTC
Here's the best performance of Bach's 1007:

Tom Edskes
2006-10-26 08:32:34 UTC
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
http://youtu.be/zqT9bt7qe_c
This is the best performance:

Tashi
2006-10-26 11:45:50 UTC
Post by Tom Edskes
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
http://youtu.be/zqT9bt7qe_c
http://youtu.be/MvQEOdBl8-0
I totally agree with you Tom. Bylsma is the best. Maisky's
performance is too dry and academic, and his cello sounds scratchy has
no depth of tone everything is on the surface. He sounds like most GFA
winners these days.

I saw Anner Bylsma play all 6 suites, the best musical experience of
my life.
MT
Greg M. Silverman
Wow, amazing! You do have some taste after all... ;-)
Tashi
2006-10-26 15:57:01 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Tashi
Post by Tom Edskes
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
http://youtu.be/zqT9bt7qe_c
http://youtu.be/MvQEOdBl8-0
I totally agree with you Tom. Bylsma is the best. Maisky's
performance is too dry and academic, and his cello sounds scratchy has
no depth of tone everything is on the surface. He sounds like most GFA
winners these days.
I saw Anner Bylsma play all 6 suites, the best musical experience of
my life.
MT
Wow, amazing! You do have some taste after all... ;-)
Does that mean you do know what a Bach cello suite is?
MT
Greg M. Silverman
2006-10-26 16:18:50 UTC
Post by Tashi
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Tashi
Post by Tom Edskes
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
http://youtu.be/zqT9bt7qe_c
http://youtu.be/MvQEOdBl8-0
I totally agree with you Tom. Bylsma is the best. Maisky's
performance is too dry and academic, and his cello sounds scratchy has
no depth of tone everything is on the surface. He sounds like most GFA
winners these days.
I saw Anner Bylsma play all 6 suites, the best musical experience of
my life.
MT
Wow, amazing! You do have some taste after all... ;-)
Does that mean you do know what a Bach cello suite is?
MT
Ah, er, who is a sell-oh sweet? And, what is a Bock? :P

(incidentally, I prefer Bach's gamba suites, especially played by Jordi
Savall and Ton Koopman... very cool stuff!)
Tashi
2006-10-26 16:02:38 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
Post by Tashi
Post by Tom Edskes
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
http://youtu.be/zqT9bt7qe_c
http://youtu.be/MvQEOdBl8-0
I totally agree with you Tom. Bylsma is the best. Maisky's
performance is too dry and academic, and his cello sounds scratchy has
no depth of tone everything is on the surface. He sounds like most GFA
winners these days.
I saw Anner Bylsma play all 6 suites, the best musical experience of
my life.
MT
Wow, amazing! You do have some taste after all... ;-)
BTW, the one with the superficial musical taste is Jackson, he seems
to go for the fastest player....Ah, to be young and naive agian.
MT
j***@aol.com
2006-10-26 19:29:18 UTC
Post by Tashi
Post by Tom Edskes
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
http://youtu.be/zqT9bt7qe_c
http://youtu.be/MvQEOdBl8-0
I totally agree with you Tom. Bylsma is the best. Maisky's
performance is too dry and academic, and his cello sounds scratchy has
no depth of tone everything is on the surface. He sounds like most GFA
winners these days.
I agree something is definitely amiss about his tone, and I think you
may have described the problem as well as anyone I've seen attempt it,
but..."Dry and academic". I don't think so. Mannered, unsteady yes.
Ultimately dull, yes. Bizarre, yes. But don't let the dryness of tone
fool you. Maisky isn't academic. Rather, he can't seem to generate the
momentum or sustain the line necesary to make these pieces work. After
all, they're solo pieces masquerading as something more. If you can't
maintain the line then it all falls apart.

--Jeff
Tashi
2006-10-26 20:30:44 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Tashi
Post by Tom Edskes
Post by Jackson K. Eskew
[...]
Jeff, I agree. This morning I showed both videos to my son who is
15 and plays the entire 1st cello suite on cello. He has listened to
many cellist's and Bylsma remains his favorite to date. He didn't care
for Maisky at all, and pointed out he rushed everything. This seems to
be a modern phenomena. I've seen it in guitarists these days a bit too
much. Bylsma gives as much importance to the sound in between the
notes as the notes themselves, the mark of true conviction of thought,
and musical maturity. When a musician can't maintain a line they end
up rushing it, as does Maisky.

I recommend Robert Barto Weiss volume 1 thru 7 Naxos CD's if you
want to hear perfection of voice leading on a plucked instrument.
MT
MT
j***@aol.com