tricks for dropped-D?
Bernie Cosell
2021-05-18 13:18:57 UTC
I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
dropped-D. Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
***@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--
Steven Bornfeld
2021-05-18 15:34:42 UTC
Post by Bernie Cosell
I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
dropped-D. Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?
/Bernie\
If you got the other 5 to behave you're ahead of me. I don't think
there are any secrets except to let the strings settle in. I don't
change my strings too often, so I don't have problems with the low D so
much as I have with intonation on all the strings further up the neck.
I'm just glad my instrument ain't a theorbo.

Steve
Ken Blake
2021-05-18 15:46:46 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Bernie Cosell
I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
dropped-D. Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?
/Bernie\
If you got the other 5 to behave you're ahead of me. I don't think
there are any secrets except to let the strings settle in. I don't
change my strings too often, so I don't have problems with the low D so
much as I have with intonation on all the strings further up the neck.
I'm just glad my instrument ain't a theorbo.
I use an electric tuner and I'm happy with it. That makes switching
between regular tuning and dropped-D very easy.

I also don't change my strings often. Although I understand why I
should, I don't want to have to deal with new strings always going out
of tune.
Ken
JMF
2021-05-18 16:38:43 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Bernie Cosell
I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
dropped-D.    Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?
    /Bernie\
If you got the other 5 to behave you're ahead of me.  I don't think
there are any secrets except to let the strings settle in.  I don't
change my strings too often, so I don't have problems with the low D so
much as I have with intonation on all the strings further up the neck.
I'm just glad my instrument ain't a theorbo.
I use an electric tuner and I'm happy with it. That makes switching
between regular tuning and dropped-D very easy.
I also don't change my strings often. Although I understand why I
should, I don't want to have to deal with new strings always going out
of tune.
I once read something along these lines: when you tune down to D, first
go way past it, then come back up gradually to the D. The idea is that
it's supposed to help keep it from edging away on its own.
Steven Bornfeld
2021-05-19 15:38:07 UTC
Post by JMF
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Bernie Cosell
[...]
I assume one of the problems (common to wound strings) is that the
string pops one way or the other over the bridge saddle and the tone you
want is right in between these two positions.
Bernie Cosell
2021-05-20 13:25:13 UTC
Bernie Cosell <***@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

} I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
} dropped-D. Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have a KLIQ tuner and I don't have all that much
trouble getting the guitar actually tuned in either tuning. -- but I'm
playing two Bach works: the boureé and the prelude from the first lute
suite. The first is in regular tuning , the second in dropped D. It is
trivial to switch tunings [harmonic 12 against either 4th string or 1st
string] but I haven't figured out a way to quickly get the guitar stable
after I switch.

I know that better [and richer :o)] guitarists than I am just use two
guitars, appropriately tuned.

For dropping down I'll try the go-low and then tune up to D. I guess I can
try the reverse for the other direction: go-high then tune down to E. I'll
fiddle with it.

/Bernie\
dsi1
I'll just play the guitar after tuning and adjust the strings on the fly. I don't have time to wait for the strings to settle in. OTOH, I don't play for other people. People that tune on the fly are able to bring a string up to pitch merely by knowing how many degrees to turn the key. It's a pretty cool ability. I used to tune my E string down to C so I got a lot of practice tuning while playing. :)
Ken Blake
2021-05-24 15:00:16 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Bernie Cosell
I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
dropped-D. Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?
/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--
I'll just play the guitar after tuning and adjust the strings on the fly. I don't have time to wait for the strings to settle in. OTOH, I don't play for other people. People that tune on the fly are able to bring a string up to pitch merely by knowing how many degrees to turn the key. It's a pretty cool ability. I used to tune my E string down to C so I got a lot of practice tuning while playing. :)
I often see performers tuning an the fly in the middle of a piece. I
never hear a difference after they do it. Sometime I think it's done
just as a stunt to impress the audience.

On the other hand, my perception of pitch isn't terrible accurate, so
perhaps they are making needed changes.
Ken
dsi1
2021-05-24 20:14:39 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by dsi1
Post by Bernie Cosell
[...]
I think a lot of guitarists are able to do this - they just aren't aware that they can. Most times it's necessary to tune on the fly and sometimes it is showing off. Here's Barry Flanagan, one of the finest guitarists in Hawaii, showing off. Not bad for a kid from New Jersey. OTOH, like a lot of musicians during these times, I hear he's almost starving to death - literally.

Steve Freides

JPD
If you tune it down far enough past D, it won't creep up after you tune it back to D. Just takes a little trial and error. Count the turns.
Grou Vii
2021-06-23 20:17:36 UTC
Post by Bernie Cosell
I can't figure out a workable way to switch between regular tuning and
dropped-D. Are there tricks for getting the 6th string to "behave"?
I used to crank the tuner button down a certain number of half-turns (180-degree turns), then turn it back up a certain number of half-turns, depending on which guitar I was playing and which strings I was using, and it stayed in tune every time. Made retuning a piece of cake.

Three half-turns brought it down to D, then I'd add another four half-turns down, wait five seconds, then bring it back up four half-turns. With a little trial and error you can discover what works with your guitar and strings. If the pitch creeps up on you, add another half-turn at the bottom until it works.