Cello Suite #1 Prelude mp3
Richard F. Sayage
2003-08-17 20:02:34 UTC
Hi everybody (sounds like the resident know everything expert on the
Simpsons :-)

I just did a recording of the above. I think I'm getting the sound
about right finally. It's getting there. Anyway, I just listened to
Invention #3 again and went, "what the hell was that". Headphones make a
big difference....sheeesh. So I'll re-record that because it sucks
wind...(or something else like moose c..k....well, you get the idea I'm not
too happy with that, no?) (notice the judicious editing in the
above....nice)!

I'm pretty happy with the Prelude...it may be slow for some, but I kind
of like it that way. As I said on the web page, yes I can play it much
faster, but why? For a baroque weanie, Bach could be fairly romantic...must
explain all the kids ... well, something has to account for them, I mean
gotdam...that's a lot o' babies, no?

Down in the Samples section - lower half. Thank you for your kind
words. I'm really enjoying this...hopefully you are too
--
Richard F. Sayage
www.savageclassical.com

http://www.orphee.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
http://www.savageclassical.com/rmcg/album-rmcg/album.html
Greg M. Silverman
2003-08-17 22:50:21 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
[...]
I'll check it out tomorrow along with El's piece.

Personally, I think the prelude sounds better fast... listen to it on viola de
gamba and you may change your mind. Or, record it fast and lsiten to it on
headphones and see whatcha think, eh?

And yes, Bach could be a romantic. Ever heard the chromatic fantasy BWV 903?
That 's like WAY romantic.

gms--
Edward Bridge
2003-08-18 01:09:37 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
explain all the kids ... well, something has to account for them, I mean
gotdam...that's a lot o' babies, no?
Down in the Samples section - lower half. Thank you for your kind
words. I'm really enjoying this...hopefully you are too
--
Richard F. Sayage
So how are you doing the recordings cowboy and did you like that 4 inches on
rain in ten minutes (not really) that we just got .
Thank you so much for the book you sent . I had to do a Handle song today
(Kirsti sang) but now I can play around with your book . Has many people
play keyboard inventions for solo guitars and many many drinks will I need
:>)

Please let us know what hard and soft ware your using mic's preamps and
stuff for your recordings . .I still learning about this stuff and I bet
many others out there many wonder.

Peace
Ed
John Sloan
2003-08-18 01:18:22 UTC
Post by Edward Bridge
Please let us know what hard and soft ware your using mic's preamps and
stuff for your recordings . .I still learning about this stuff and I bet
many others out there many wonder.
Indeed. If Richard mentioned his equipment before I must have missed it.
I'd like to know, because I think it's about time I get some recording
equipment and make a few mp3's of my own. :)

John Sloan
Richard Yates
2003-08-19 13:22:33 UTC
Well, we've got a page with our pictures, so why not more samples of
our playing?
Sounds good to me. I will be working on Massenet's Meditation or Fugue 17
from WTC1.

Richard Yates
Greg M. Silverman
2003-08-19 14:28:39 UTC
Hey guys,
Sorry, I was dealing with server issues last night, and went off line
except
for a minute. I posted last week about the equipment...try a search on my
name and Boss and it should show up. I talked about CoolEdit also. Any
troubles, let me know. We're gonna get more guitar stuff?
Cool...dang...you gettin' jealous? :-) Hell, people'll think this is a
classical guitar ng...can't have none of that...
hahahaha
Well, we've got a page with our pictures, so why not more samples of our
playing? I was thinking that I'd even be willing to submit something of
mine (or if someone else wants to try it - I still have to get some
recording equipment) for a "masterclass" kind of critique. That is, record
something as well as possible - not just a quick, off-the-cuff recording,
but take some time, a month or so to really polish one's best piece; give it
my/your best shot (but without editing of the recording - if there are no
mistakes I want it to be because I *played* it that way). Post it as an
mp3, let people critique it and tell what *they* heard - then take their
suggestions, work on it for another month, then record it again and check
for improvement, get more feedback, etc.
Anyway, I'll be working tpward something like that soon, myself. If nobody
wants to comment, that's okay too.
I'm all for it! I have a few pieces that I would like to try recording.
I'm just throwing together the setup to do it. This should be fun...
Where are we going to host this?

gms--
s***@hotmail.com
2003-08-19 18:25:20 UTC
Post by Greg M. Silverman
[...]
We can post the recordings on my Mac homepage no problem, I have about
20MB's of space but I can get more if needed.

snoops
Richard F. Sayage
2003-08-18 10:47:00 UTC
Hi Ed,
The rain was awesome! Sky black, immediate, rolling winds, and big heavy
rains, with lightning and big nasty thunder...nice.
Enjoy the book...many drinks will make it sound good and easy, I swear.
My post about equipment was fairly comprehensive. Search "me" and "Boss"
and you'll find it. Let me know how you make out. Not with your wife,
silly boy. Talk soon.

Ed
Edward Bridge
2003-08-18 21:20:42 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Hi Ed,
The rain was awesome! Sky black, immediate, rolling winds, and big heavy
rains, with lightning and big nasty thunder...nice.
Enjoy the book...many drinks will make it sound good and easy, I swear.
My post about equipment was fairly comprehensive. Search "me" and "Boss"
and you'll find it. Let me know how you make out. Not with your wife,
silly boy. Talk soon.
I'm _not_ going to talk to any women about any man's equipment but expect
Ed's "hi-draw-licks" (hydraulics) :>) oh baby I'm killing myself here .
.. the lighting and rain was great but the thunder scares the shit out the
my kids.

I'll take a look at your thread about equipment ...

Peace
Ed
John Wasak
2003-08-18 01:22:52 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
explain all the kids ... well, something has to account for them, I mean
gotdam...that's a lot o' babies, no?
To hear one of the great and interesting experiments in Bach played
slow/fast is to listen to Glenn Gould's playing of the opening Aria from the
Goldberg Variations in his 1955 recording and then in his 1981 recordingof
the same piece. The 1955 Aria is classic Gould and at that sounds darn
good!, but the 1981 recording of the Aria has Gould showing us that he's
come himself to the realization that a good part of the music lives and
breathes in the spaces. The '81 version speaks in tones both sweetly
languorous and profound. It is the very essence of beauty.

And what romatic wouldn't like that?

jw
John Wasak
2003-08-18 03:59:24 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
I'm pretty happy with the Prelude...it may be slow for some, but I kind
of like it that way. As I said on the web page, yes I can play it much
faster, but why?
Okay, I just listened. Well, my answer would be because it sounds better
faster! ;-) To my ears this prelude sits best somewhere between too fast
and too slow. Yours is definitely on the s-l-o-w side but, on the plus side
here, you have company in the person of Nigel North who recorded it at what
I recall is about the same pace on the baroque lute. Somehow the sound
quality of the lute seems to make the slower pace more acceptable to my ear
but I think on the guitar at this slow a pace it threatens to fall apart -
especially at the beginning. This is not to say anything negative of your
playing of it. I think you play it well as your vision of it demands and
you wring it for its emotional aspects ( like a true romantic) but I really
think those same emotional aspects can be found in a (at least) slightly
faster tempo without risking this music's loss to its overall cohesion.

Just my thoughts - but that's what happens when you post stuff on the web!
;-)

jw
Richard F. Sayage

jw
Greg M. Silverman
2003-08-18 14:34:00 UTC
Post by Richard F. Sayage
Cool :-)
I agree with jw; it sounds like it may fall apart... the only way to
really make the line sing on guitar is to play it fast as hell. (Alain
Reiher does a great job at it BTW.)

gms--
s***@hotmail.com