Best Bach?
Jitpring
2005-12-03 18:05:33 UTC
I recently got Sayage's Bach materials, and now I want some more Bach
recordings. I currently have Angel Romero Plays Bach, Disk 4 of the
Segovia Collection (all Bach on this disk), Parkening: The Great
Recordings (w/ much Bach), along with some other CDs that include Bach.
Is there any cg Bach recording that is widely considered to be the
best? Thanks.

Also, I'm considering playing nothing but Bach for the next year. What
do you think?
Robert Crim
2005-12-03 18:40:44 UTC
http://tinyurl.com/dmjxv

Robert
Roscoe Heywood
2005-12-03 19:01:53 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
Post by Jitpring
Is there any cg Bach recording that is widely considered to be the
best? Thanks.
http://tinyurl.com/dmjxv
Robert
Careful anochap,er I mean jitprig, I see this guy recorded some Beatle
arrangements. Ask your self wwpd?(what would Plato do?) Try John
Williams plays Bach Lute Suites, then give them a go yourself. about a
years work for the average player.
Jitpring
2005-12-03 19:28:40 UTC
anochap? Huh?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!
Mark & Steven Bornfeld
2005-12-03 19:51:15 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
Post by Jitpring
Is there any cg Bach recording that is widely considered to be the
best? Thanks.
http://tinyurl.com/dmjxv
Robert
I think Sollscher's my favorite Bach on guitar.
I'd say Yamashita's Bach recordings also should be heard.
I'm guessing you've told us who's recorded your favorite Bach for lute,
but I don't recall who.
Thanks to you and others for recommending the Robert Barto Weiss
recordings--just great!

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
Robert Crim
2005-12-03 20:00:27 UTC
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:51:15 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld
I'm guessing you've told us who's recorded your favorite Bach for lute,
but I don't recall who.
Nigel North Bach on the Lute Box Set:

* Volumes 1 & 2 Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin BWV 1001-1006
* in new transcriptions for Lute by Nigel North
* Linn Records CKD 013 and 029 (1994)

* Volumes 3 & 4 Suites for solo cello BWV 1007-1012
* in new transcriptions for Lute by Nigel North
* Linn Records CKD 049 & 055 (1996)

Get it at: http://tinyurl.com/7r9y9. Best $50 you'll ever spend.

Robert
Mark & Steven Bornfeld
2005-12-03 20:10:31 UTC
Post by Robert Crim
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:51:15 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
Post by Mark & Steven Bornfeld
I'm guessing you've told us who's recorded your favorite Bach for lute,
but I don't recall who.
* Volumes 1 & 2 Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin BWV 1001-1006
* in new transcriptions for Lute by Nigel North
* Linn Records CKD 013 and 029 (1994)
* Volumes 3 & 4 Suites for solo cello BWV 1007-1012
* in new transcriptions for Lute by Nigel North
* Linn Records CKD 049 & 055 (1996)
Get it at: http://tinyurl.com/7r9y9. Best $50 you'll ever spend.
Robert
Thanks--will do!

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
Matanya Ophee
2005-12-03 19:35:07 UTC
Post by Jitpring
I recently got Sayage's Bach materials, and now I want some more Bach
recordings. I currently have Angel Romero Plays Bach, Disk 4 of the
Segovia Collection (all Bach on this disk), Parkening: The Great
Recordings (w/ much Bach), along with some other CDs that include Bach.
Is there any cg Bach recording that is widely considered to be the
best? Thanks.
For my money: Luigi Attademo on Nicolo (NIC 1021). Contains BWV 1003
and BWV 1008. Best Bach I have ever heard, bar none (except of course,
Henryk Szering, Mstislav Rostropovich, Martin Galling, Maurice
Gendron, Pablo Casals, Michael Murray....)

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.orphee.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/matanya/
Jay Stevens
2005-12-03 21:49:15 UTC
I agree with your list aside from Casals. In my opinion he over romanticized
the cello suites.
Just my opinion.
To a certain degree it reminds me of listening to Segovia rubato-ing his way
through some of the Bach lute/cello music.
For the Cello suites, in addition to your list, I also like Anner Bylsma,
Janos Starker, Michael Zaretsky, Enrico Mainardi.
Although Bylsma and the Rosty are my personal favorites. Granted though taht
Rosty does play some of the Preludes a bit on the fast side.
I have that solo DVD he did, it's wonderful. I recommend it to anyone
interested.

virtual
2005-12-03 22:02:28 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by Jitpring
[...]
You don't like Gustav Leonhardt?
--
Resources to play the guitar for fun and relaxation

http://www.virtualguitarcenter.com

***@virtualguitarcenter.com
Matanya Ophee
2005-12-03 23:29:28 UTC
Post by virtual
Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by Jitpring
[...]
Gustav who? Ah, _that_ Gustav. Yea, he is alright, I suppose, but I do
have some built-in resistance to Yea Oldie Musicke pretensions. Wanda
Landowska and E. Power Biggs!~ That's the real ticket. Right?

But let not get away from Luigi, which is what I really want to stress
here.

Matti Partonen
2005-12-05 07:57:22 UTC
Post by Matanya Ophee
Post by Jitpring
I recently got Sayage's Bach materials, and now I want some more Bach
recordings. I currently have Angel Romero Plays Bach, Disk 4 of the
Segovia Collection (all Bach on this disk), Parkening: The Great
Recordings (w/ much Bach), along with some other CDs that include Bach.
Is there any cg Bach recording that is widely considered to be the
best? Thanks.
For my money: Luigi Attademo on Nicolo (NIC 1021). Contains BWV 1003
and BWV 1008. Best Bach I have ever heard, bar none (except of course,
Henryk Szering, Mstislav Rostropovich, Martin Galling, Maurice
Gendron, Pablo Casals, Michael Murray....)
A coincidence (for me) that you should mention those guys here now.

I have neither listened nor played Bach for a long time, but a few days ago
heard somebody play on guitar the BWV1001 Siciliana as a background for some
TV program. So I picked up an old Segovia recording and Thomas Koenigs'
transcription of it and gave it a go. To better educate myself on this
music, I bought violin recordings of BWV1001-1006; of the available
performers I picked Henryk Szeryng, as his was a name I had heard before.

Back at home I put the disc in the player. My wife, who generally prefers
violin music over anything played on the guitar, joined to listen. One
minute into the Siciliana (I skipped the first movements) her comment was:
"This is terrible! This cannot be intended for solo violin!" And I must say
I agree: I cannot draw any enjoyment of this violin rendition. I do not
think I can fault Szeryng on this; at the moment I feel that the music just
does not sit on solo violin.

Anyway, I intend to listen through the Szeryng discs, just to see if my
perception changes. Meanwhile, I bought guitar recordings of these same
works by Paul Galbraith (the only guitar recordings that were available in
the shop), and it seems this is the rendition of BWV1001-1006 into which I
am going to immerse myself.

Also, I am open to suggestions for other guitar and violin recordings of
BWV1001-1006, as this seems to be music I want get more intimate with.

Matti P.
a***@acm.org
2005-12-03 19:46:48 UTC
Hello Jitpring,

Lately, I've been listening to K. Yamashita's 5 CD set, entitled:

Kazuhito Yamashita Plays J. S. Bach
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=308770

If you love Bach and Kazuhito Yamashita, then it's a must buy.

Best Regards,
Andy
Dave K
2005-12-03 22:03:19 UTC
Post by Jitpring
Also, I'm considering playing nothing but Bach for the next year. What
do you think?
Sounds a bit extreme, but I have taken to the "Bach Cleansing diet"
myself for periods of up to two weeks. I think it's healthy. Longer
than that though and I think all the polyphony would start to drive me
nuts...I once attended a performance of a piano player, who did an all
Bach concert. It nearlly baroque me.

-DaveK
virtual
2005-12-03 22:03:57 UTC
Post by Jitpring
I recently got Sayage's Bach materials, and now I want some more Bach
recordings. I currently have Angel Romero Plays Bach, Disk 4 of the
Segovia Collection (all Bach on this disk), Parkening: The Great
Recordings (w/ much Bach), along with some other CDs that include Bach.
Is there any cg Bach recording that is widely considered to be the
best? Thanks.
Also, I'm considering playing nothing but Bach for the next year. What
do you think?
And you'll eat only filet mignon for a year!

***@virtualguitarcenter.com
Jitpring
2005-12-03 22:43:25 UTC
It looks like there's no general agreement as to a definitive Bach
recording. I listened to the Yamashita samples. Very impressive.
edbridge@earthlink.net
2005-12-03 23:42:20 UTC
Post by Jitpring
Also, I'm considering playing nothing but Bach for the next year. What
do you think?
not a good move, you need to read other music.

Ed Bridge
Jitpring
2005-12-04 00:06:43 UTC
Ed, you're probably right. As Dave suggested, so much Bach might make
me even more nuts. On the other hand, it may turn me into a saint.
Dave K
2005-12-04 00:28:44 UTC
Post by Jitpring
Ed, you're probably right. As Dave suggested, so much Bach might make
me even more nuts. On the other hand, it may turn me into a saint.
There was an *excellent* thread awhile ago, which of course I started,
called "Playing Bach Well." You can look in the google archives.

One of the thoughts I have had about Bach is that you are much less in
danger of having a "repertoire imbalance" problem focusing on Bach. In
other words, if 25% of your repertoire was, say, Leo Brouwer, that's
too much Brouwer relative to your other repertoire. But if it's 25%
Bach, you're ok. This isn't a rating of the composers, but speaks to
the universality of Bach's music. Hell I can't really explain it.
Much smarter people than me posted in that thread...