Bach Cello Suites
dofrenzy
2009-10-15 18:38:03 UTC
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy. I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were. I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!

Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
Matt Faunce
2009-10-15 21:22:22 UTC
Post by dofrenzy
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy.  I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were.  I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
I prefer it to simply be transposed to A major.
Track 5 http://www.myspace.com/matthewjohnfaunce

Matt
David Raleigh Arnold
2009-10-15 21:37:17 UTC
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse buy.
I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music section,
and there they were. I was not actually all that familiar with the
Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites? Preferred
key for the first movement of the first suite (the super- popular
Prelude from BWV 1007).
Preferred key? A major, with drop D 6th. Regards, daveA
--
For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises. Early
intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.
better chord and arpeggio exercises. http://www.openguitar.com
Tashi
2009-10-15 22:57:56 UTC
Post by dofrenzy
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy.  I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were.  I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
I've played many versions, the one I like the most is in E-Flat major
arranged by Clive Titmuss for 13 strings in D minor tuning. You
haven't heard anything until you hear such splendor. Aside from that,
I don't like the stupid drop D tuning that alternates between octaves,
this causes the prelude to start off to heavy.

I've played Stanley's arrangement and like it the most for six
strings. The prelude is slightly more difficult to play, but the rest
of the movements in the suite are far superior than other arrangements
I've played.
Dicerous
2009-10-15 23:20:40 UTC
Post by Tashi
Post by dofrenzy
[...]
Stanley is one of the few in this community who actually contributes
(I mean the guitar community in general). He's one of the few people
that have earned their keep and deserve props.

David
William D Clinger
2009-10-15 23:17:35 UTC
Post by dofrenzy
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
When I recorded it in G major, Johann Sebastian Bach
requested I remove the recording from the World Wide
Web [1].

Will

[1] Johann Sebastian Bach. Posted to rmcg, 7 November 2005.
Ivan
2009-10-16 20:02:49 UTC
Post by dofrenzy
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy.  I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were.  I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
Kid of related question... A preferred (or recommended) transcription
for the solo violin sonatas and partitas (BWV 1001-1006)?
Dicerous
2009-10-16 22:00:30 UTC
Post by Ivan
Post by dofrenzy
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy.  I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were.  I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
Kid of related question... A preferred (or recommended) transcription
fr the solo violin sonatas and partitas (BWV 1001-1006)?
good god ivan, aren't you able to make your own decisions by now?

David
Ivan
2009-10-16 22:50:26 UTC
Post by Dicerous
Post by Ivan
Post by dofrenzy
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy.  I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were.  I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
Kid of related question... A preferred (or recommended) transcription
fr the solo violin sonatas and partitas (BWV 1001-1006)?
good god ivan, aren't you able to make your own decisions by now?
David
Trying to play the Troll, David? It is not so easy... the guy is way
better than you.
Dicerous
2009-10-17 04:58:33 UTC
Post by Ivan
Post by Dicerous
Post by Ivan
Post by dofrenzy
Recently picked up Stanley Yates "Bach Cello Suites" as an impulse
buy.  I was buying strings from somewhere and clicked on their music
section, and there they were.  I was not actually all that familiar
with the Prelude from BWV 1007, but I love it now!
Anyone have a "preferred" transcription of the cello suites?
Preferred key for the first movement of the first suite (the super-
popular Prelude from BWV 1007).
Kid of related question... A preferred (or recommended) transcription
fr the solo violin sonatas and partitas (BWV 1001-1006)?
good god ivan, aren't you able to make your own decisions by now?
David
Trying to play the Troll, David? It is not so easy... the guy is way
better than you.
huh? If by troll you mean someone who has mastered most of the
repertoire and still knows how to entertain, then yes, I'm a troll.
If by troll you mean someone who isn't concerned with the banal
trivialities that these people seem to placate their ass burgers with,
then I'm yes I'm a troll and not that. Pretense is the last refuge of
scoundrels.

David
Dicerous
2009-10-17 05:02:56 UTC
Post by Ivan
Post by Dicerous
Post by Ivan
Post by dofrenzy
[...]
Who is *that guy* anyways? Stanley? I've already said Stanley can be
my master. He's not a better player than me, but he's without a doubt
a better teacher. I could learn alot from him. If you're talking
Matt Faunce, we're talking apples and oranges. I don't know who IVAN
is....you might be way better than me. If you are I condemn you to
the bowels of hell! I've already said that Alain is a very good
player, he underestimates himself.

David
Douglas Seth
2009-10-17 12:33:53 UTC
David,
If this is true that you play as well as Stanley, you are without
question one of the better players on the planet. A question I have
been wondering for a while. Why don't you use your real, full name
instead of hiding behind "Dicerous"? I am sure you have a lot to
share.

Doug
Post by Ivan
Post by Dicerous
Post by Ivan
Post by dofrenzy
[...]
David- Hide quoted text -
Dicerous
2009-10-17 14:13:19 UTC
Post by Ivan
Post by Dicerous
Post by Ivan
Post by dofrenzy
[...]
Good lord, you people are so crazy-off-the-scale.

David
Douglas Seth
2009-10-17 19:06:46 UTC
No, David, I'm not crazy. That is a bullshit deflection from the
issue. I think if you make a claim as lofty as the one you made
(which I would have to hear you to believe that you are even in
someone like SY's league, let alone as good of a player as SY), you
should let everyone know exactly who you are. To you credit, you
did. You have my respect for that. Of course, I am not just talking
about technique. Technique I would believe you might have virtuoso
chops. I find it hard to believe that your interpretation skills are
anywhere near SY's. Stanley can say more musically sightreading than
most people can say after hours of practicing. I know, I have seen
him do it many, many time