Science Shows How Guitar Players' Brains Are Actually Different from Everybody Elses'
Steve Freides
2014-04-30 12:13:22 UTC
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses

-S-
Curmudgeon
2014-04-30 12:17:56 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
-S-
Don't need no stinkin' science to reach that conclusion - just read RMCG for a while.
Inyo
2014-04-30 14:51:11 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
Yes, it is well known that the brains of guitar players are wired
differently. Many exhibit high strung tendencies, too--and, not a few
project personalities that establish conclusively that they're wound way too
tightly, as well, in the main. Wood that it weren't true, naturally.

But I pick on the guitar player too much here...

An illuminating implicit message in that article, by the way, is that the
only sure way to identify a real musician who plays the guitar is to wire
the person up to a brain scan while soloing. If a crucial part of the brain
does not temporarily deactivate--specifically, the area of the brain that
controls "achieving big-picture goals," which signals a switch from
conscious to unconscious thought, thus enhancing creativity while
simultaneously damping predominantly practical thinking--that individual is
not a genuine musician, only an unfortunate imposter.

http://inyo.coffeecup.com/site/acoustic/allinyoallthetime.html
Links to all of my acoustic 6 and 12-string guitar playing available on the
Net.
JPD
It only hurts when I laugh... *ouch*
Inyo
2014-05-01 13:30:52 UTC
Post by Inyo
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
An illuminating implicit message in that article, by the way, is that the
only sure way to identify a real musician who plays the guitar is to wire
the person up to a brain scan while soloing.
Edit. More precise wording: .."only sure way to identify a real musician who
plays the guitar is to have the guitarist solo while undergoing a brain
scan."
the Net.
dsi1
2014-04-30 17:51:02 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
-S-
My intuition tells me that this is the kind of article they're talking
about when they say not to believe everything you read on the internet.
gtr
2014-04-30 18:24:01 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
-S-
My intuition tells me that this is the kind of article they're talking
about when they say not to believe everything you read on the internet.
No kidding: Exactly what is there to analyze in brain activity for an
improvisation by a "non-musician", I wonder? It's not surprising
they're picking up no fundamental shifte in brain activity.
hank alrich
2014-04-30 19:39:47 UTC
Post by gtr
Post by dsi1
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-player
s-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
-S-
My intuition tells me that this is the kind of article they're talking
about when they say not to believe everything you read on the internet.
No kidding: Exactly what is there to analyze in brain activity for an
improvisation by a "non-musician", I wonder? It's not surprising they're
picking up no fundamental shifte in brain activity.
Just to show how wrong they are, look right here and read guitar players
talking about brain science!
--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
dsi1
2014-05-01 00:13:42 UTC
Post by gtr
Post by dsi1
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
-S-
My intuition tells me that this is the kind of article they're talking
about when they say not to believe everything you read on the internet.
No kidding: Exactly what is there to analyze in brain activity for an
improvisation by a "non-musician", I wonder? It's not surprising they're
picking up no fundamental shifte in brain activity.
My guitar buddy in high school were pretty well synchronized. We'd say
ready, wait a number of beats, then one of us would move our head on the
downbeat and we'd start. We were good at this but it's a totally useless
skill for normal folks. Guitarists have great intuitive powers? That's
an new one on me. :-)
gtr
2014-05-01 01:20:12 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by gtr
Post by dsi1
Post by Steve Freides
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88357/science-shows-how-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses
My intuition tells me that this is the kind of article they're talking
about when they say not to believe everything you read on the internet.
No kidding: Exactly what is there to analyze in brain activity for an
improvisation by a "non-musician", I wonder? It's not surprising they're
picking up no fundamental shifte in brain activity.
My guitar buddy in high school were pretty well synchronized. We'd say
ready, wait a number of beats, then one of us would move our head on
the downbeat and we'd start. We were good at this but it's a totally
useless skill for normal folks. Guitarists have great intuitive powers?
That's an new one on me. :-)
it depends on how you approach the topic of "intuition". Guys who've
spent a lot of time working as a sideman or accompanist, myself
included, spend a lot of time projecting which way a rabbit's going to
jump, and being prepared to follow as seamlessly as possible. I can't
count the number of people, including musicians, who were flabbergasted
I could play a song I didn't know and had never heard; "fake it" as
they say. This despite the fact that the cliche-ridden piece at hand
was just a composite of a million other shlock tunes. By the beginning
of the 2nd verse I'm already doing substitutions on their old gray mare.

I think it may well be true that guitarists have a lot more of this
"intuition" (so called) than many other musicians that never played too
much by ear or assumed everyone would play follow the leader behind
their own efforts (like 99% of all pianists). For one reason many of us
play in lots of different styles, where a mandolin, harmonica or
trombone, for instance, frequently tend to gravitate to just a few.
These were just an examples.

I realize some *real* research went on here, but I think the person
conveying its results was a bit muddled about exactly what had happened.
Andrew Schulman
2014-05-01 01:36:35 UTC
Guys who've spent a lot of time working as a sideman or accompanist, myself
included, spend a lot of time projecting which way a rabbit's going to
jump, and being prepared to follow as seamlessly as possible.
Love the analogy. I think it's listening first, and some watching too. And educated guessing.

The sight reading the lead sheet is a lot of fun too.

Andrew
Slogoin
The sync thing has become more interesting to me in the last decade. Drumming may be the most intense form of group syncing with music but we can also sync in pitch holding notes while feeling the harmonic mix like barber shop quartets. What is going on is not going to be answered by a few studies.
dsi1
2014-05-01 02:04:46 UTC
Post by gtr
[...]
You are correct about this. OTOH, Musical intuition, while useful for
guitarists, has little application in real life. The reality is that
guitarists are as clueless about other people as the rest of humanity.
Andrew Schulman
2014-05-01 02:11:51 UTC
Post by dsi1
The reality is that
guitarists are as clueless about other people as the rest of humanity.
Repeat 10 times: this is not a generalization, this is not a generalization, this is not a generalization...

2014-05-01 02:23:55 UTC
Post by dsi1
The reality is that
guitarists are as clueless about other people as the rest of humanity.
Repeat 10 times: this is not a generalization, this is not a generalization, this is not a generalization...
Andrew
It's not a generalization if it's true. The idea that guitarists have
supadupa intuition is a mantra that only a clueless guitarist would chant.
Andrew Schulman
2014-05-01 16:28:51 UTC
Post by dsi1
It's not a generalization if it's true. The idea that guitarists have
supadupa intuition is a mantra that only a clueless guitarist would chant.
Moments before you posted it I intuited almost word for word your response, except I had superduper instead of supadupa. I will now go and play "When Sunny Gets Blue" and that will upgrade that synapse.

Andrew