Times article about transcriptions
2019-07-07 16:02:17 UTC
The article is about piano transcriptions but is easily extended to a view about the value of transcriptions on the guitar. One example, Liszt's piano transcription of Schubert's Ständchen which has had various arrangements over the years for the guitar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/arts/music/piano-transcriptions.html

2019-07-08 04:28:49 UTC
Nice article, and good point that Glenn "Gould’s spirited playing makes you listen anew to the music." Transcriptions can seem to offer a clarity that we don't hear in the original, or have heard many times. Transcriptions for guitar of Debussy's Clair de Lune and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata come to mind.

John R.
Richard Jernigan
2019-07-08 16:34:00 UTC
The article is about piano transcriptions but is easily extended to a view about the value of transcriptions on the guitar. One example, Liszt's piano transcription of Schubert's Ständchen which has had various arrangements over the years for the guitar.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/arts/music/piano-transcriptions.html
Andrew
Reminds me of the exhilaration I experienced upon hearing Barrueco's Vox LP of Albeniz and Granados transcriptions. My wife, a pianist, commented, "Sounds like he's been listening to Delarrocha, not Segovia."

RNJ
Steven Bornfeld
2019-07-08 17:20:33 UTC
The article is about piano transcriptions but is easily extended to a view about the value of transcriptions on the guitar. One example, Liszt's piano transcription of Schubert's Ständchen which has had various arrangements over the years for the guitar.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/arts/music/piano-transcriptions.html
Andrew
Ah, the good old days--fighting between Klaus, MO, and almost everyone
else. I can't say I remember Richard Yates ever engaging them directly
(though I may just not remember).
Me? Anything that helps me understand the music (and frequently a guitar
transcription or arrangement will do just that) is a plus.
Yeah, Ständchen? Not too shabby: